HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 13, 2002, 03:39 PM
Libertas in Infinitum
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
victoria or v32?

okay well, I've narrowed it down to these two as my first boat ... any opinions?

logan5
logan5 is online now Find More Posts by logan5
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2002, 06:21 PM
Flying slowly along..
Northern Ca.
Joined Dec 2000
1,336 Posts
I have both boats. I would choose the v32 over the Vicky. In my opinion the V32 has a more classic and solid appeal to it. Just my opinion--Rob
slowflyer is offline Find More Posts by slowflyer
Old May 13, 2002, 06:46 PM
Libertas in Infinitum
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
actually that was the way I was leaning myself.

thanks

logan5
Old May 13, 2002, 06:53 PM
Flying slowly along..
Northern Ca.
Joined Dec 2000
1,336 Posts
I bought the ready to sail kit. It only takes about 30 mins to be on the water. the boat abosolutly does not leak at all. The Vicky must be drained after every outing.

If you've got the extra $$ get the rtr boat.--Rob
Old May 13, 2002, 07:00 PM
Edina Model Yacht Club
Bloomington MN
Joined Apr 2002
185 Posts
I would defintely rule out the Victoria, it is not large enough for stronger winds. I have seen too many of them sink.
If you are looking for RTR, have you checked out a Laser? From Box to water in 4 minutes, and a very good boat.
George
George Pfeifer is offline Find More Posts by George Pfeifer
Old May 14, 2002, 12:03 AM
Fair Winds to all
United States, MN, Faribault
Joined Jun 2001
296 Posts
WOW, Victoria's sinking, takes a real genius to do that! I've done it, of course I sailed for 2 hours in 15+ winds without a hatch on in 8 to 10 inch swells...

For George's sake, there are better sails and even some folks making cheap storm sails for Vics to sail in 20+ winds, down in the Dallas area.
And Slowflyer, Victoria's can be built as perfectly dry boats, see the VRC Tips sections at
http://www.victoriarc.org

Seriously, I own and sail both V-32's (2 RTS's) and Victoria's (2 custom built) and they each have their merits. But I bought a built, ready to sail V-32 with proper radio gear for $300 or so, and a proper Victoria outfitted to really be raceworthy can cost $250 or more and plenty of building time.
Or a BASIC R/C Laser can cost $400 or so RTS.

If you're a beginner, and there's no one else sailing anything else nearby, the V-32 RTS is a great first boat. Of course if everyone near you is sailing R/C Laser's, or Odom's, or 36/600's, or shoot, J boats, then you're going to have to start your own local fleet if you want any racing competition.

But you can do that, there's a gentleman in Texas who bought 5 V-32's and started his own family fleet.

Again, if you want to sail in races, check what your local (or nearest) fleets are sailing and look for a good new or used boat in those fleets if you want lots of company and help.

Check out my custom V-32 planked deck (and other boats) at
http://www.intellisys.net/dgoebel/rcsail.html
dgoebel is offline Find More Posts by dgoebel
Old May 14, 2002, 01:18 AM
Flying slowly along..
Northern Ca.
Joined Dec 2000
1,336 Posts
Yes Vickys can be built dry.....But most that I have heard of have problems with water entering them. I am well aware of the VRC, and other associated Vicky sites. The V32 keel is also less prone to getting hung up on weeds and such nonsense.

For the begginer who wants a virtually trouble free , no hassle, turn key boat, the V32 is it. The rigging on the Vic is a pain in the you know what. I converted mine over to be rigged the same as the V32. If you decide on the Vicky, add some re enforcement under where the mast sits as the thin plastic tends to flex under load.

With the exception of the Laser most of the boats you mentioned IE: George Ribereo's ODOM will run you well into the 600-700 dollar range by the time they are on the water. ODOM, $299 basic kit, $70 fitting/hardware kit, $125 radio, Sail set $100, you get the picture. Nice boat though.

Nobody around here runs the Laser that I know of. Not to say it's a bad boat but I know nothing about them.

I can pace the ODOM'S on the course at Golden Gate Park, with my dimunitive little V32. They hate it, I love it.

For the record, I have many boats also, ranging anywhere from a 60" Zenoah powered Shockwave that will make the hair on the back of your neck stand up, a Victoria of course (nice boat but has it's quirks), My beloved V32, a Vintage Marblehead, a Hopped up traxxas Villian, and under construction..a 40" Artesenia Latina Amsterdam tug. As well as several other misc small boats.

I usually run with the san francisco model yacht Club, the second oldest model boating club in the US. Second only to the marblehead club.

Whatever your decision, remember having fun is the top priority. Ijust feel that the V32 is more of a keeper boat that you will have for a long time. the wood deck just gives it that warm special feeling in my book. I'll post a pic as soon as I have time.---Rob
Old May 14, 2002, 10:36 AM
Libertas in Infinitum
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Well, I'm moving to Houston in a week and right across the street is a man made lake, well it's a big pond really. I just wanted something to spend a lazy afternoon away from work on the weekends. I'll look into the clubs later I guess, I know there are three in Houston, but have no idea where they are in relation to me (Friendswood).

Thanks for all of the help and advice. I think I'll go with the v32 kit. I like building and enjoy watching things come together. The v32 has a nice classic look to it and if worse come to worse, will look great on my mantle

logan5
Old May 25, 2002, 10:05 PM
Fair Winds to all
United States, MN, Faribault
Joined Jun 2001
296 Posts
The V32 is a good choice and the Houston Clubs have a wide variety so I'm sure you'll find some sailing friends in no time.

It was my first boat, and I'm still sailing two of them with my wife, family, friends, and complete strangers who just walk up and want to try it.

See pics of my refitted V-32 with planked looking deck at my personal site at
http://www.intellisys.net/dgoebel/rcsail.html
dgoebel is offline Find More Posts by dgoebel
Old May 28, 2002, 09:05 AM
Gulfport, MS
Joined May 2002
4 Posts
How would the Fairwind 900 compare to the other entry level boats? I have had a kit for a couple of years, but just never got around to building it (too many airplanes).

I have a Laser and a Kyosho Seawind that I enjoy sailing. No competition, just leisure.

D H Carter
DHCarter is offline Find More Posts by DHCarter
Old May 28, 2002, 09:36 AM
Edina Model Yacht Club
Bloomington MN
Joined Apr 2002
185 Posts
The fairwind will be slower than the Laser & Seawind as it does not have as high an aspect sail as either of the other 2, also the keel is not as deep, so it will "blow over" before either of the others. An advantage of the keel shape on the fairwind is that it does not get hung in the weeds as easily as the blade & bulb types. For pleasure sailing it is a very good boat. We have about 40 of them in our club.
George Pfeifer is offline Find More Posts by George Pfeifer