HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2005, 12:10 PM
Houston, TX
Joined May 2003
749 Posts
Discussion
New EPP Super Zoom 4D from SoaringUSA.com build thread

I just got my new Super Zoom 4D from SoaringUSA.com . I still fly my Zoom Zoom 4D and have been waiting for the Super Zoom to become available. I picked the blue one. There were yellow and red also available. I also got everything else I needed from Soaring.

I was so blown away with this new Super Zoom that I thought I would start a build thread. It looks like it may be the perfect EPP 3D foamy. I have been happy with my Zoom Zoom and it is still a daily flyer. The super zoom seems to have incorporated almost all my gripes from its predecessor.

The most noticeable change is the printed graphics. Wow! It is so much better than the Zoom Zoom. Now people will not make fun of my pink plane. The other noticeable changes are to the rudder, fuselage, motor mount and landing gear. The new rudder is EPP! No more breaking it when doing tail taps. The fuselage now has extra side pieces that give it additional thickness in the middle. This gives the center section almost 3 times the thickness. This will greatly help prevent bending the fuse reinforcement rods behind the wing. The motor mount is now made of plywood and is reverse bulkhead mount style. The landing gear has lighter wheels, EPP wheel pants and strut covers. It is still easily removable when flying in thick grass fields. The instruction manual is also well illustrated and in English.
hybris is offline Find More Posts by hybris
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2005, 12:35 PM
Houston, TX
Joined May 2003
749 Posts
Following are the additional electronics I got from Soaring. It was nice getting everything from one place plus free shipping when you order over $100 (easy to do).

4 Hitec HS-55 servos – These may not be the fastest servos on the market (had Blue Birds in my Zoom Zoom) but you can’t beat Hitec service. I got four because I like two servos for the ailerons. I believe this was one of the best improvements I made on my Zoom Zoom. It really benefited from elevator flap mix. I set about 30% down flap for full up elevator and opposite for down elevator. This tightens the loops by probably 75%!

Hitec Micro 05S 5-channel receiver – I thought I would try this new receiver. It is a single conversion receiver so I hope it is not plagued with the problems the older feathers had. It is nice because it is very small (similar to the GWS 6 channel) and it is set for channels 1-4 and 6. This is perfect for 2 servo wings. It also uses the standard full size Hitec single conversion crystals.

Phoenix25 ESC – I plan to pull about 18 amps max.

Thunder Power 3-cell 1320 Gen2 – I hope this will be up to the task of 18A bursts. I just want to save as much weight as I can.

Now for the most important part, the motor:

Himax HC2816-0890 Brushless Outrunner – The Super Zoom is supposed to come in a little heavier than the Zoom Zoom and I thought the AXI 2212-26 was just adequate for the Zoom Zoom. I wanted more power. This Himax should provide it. It is capable of 20/A200W. This should do. It does come with a weight penalty of almost an ounce over the AXI. The light battery should make up for that. I have been very happy with Himax outrunners in the past. The manual says I should pull about 16-18A throwing a 11x4.7 prop. A 12x6 should push it over 20A. I will have to go to 2100 lipos for that. Stay posted for how it works out.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 12:55 PM
Houston, TX
Joined May 2003
749 Posts
Now for the build.

The Super Zoom has a very similar build to the Zoom Zoom. All you should need is CA (think and thin), accelerator (or patience) and epoxy. Foam safe CA is not required for the EPP parts.

I started with the wing. The instructions were clearer this time to the dihedral. The top of the wing is to be flat. Just as is predecessor, it comes with aluminum rod spars. These have worked well in the wing for me in the past and they never had in issue. In trying to save weight, I compared them to some 1.5mm (same size) carbon fiber rod I had. The carbon was definitely stiffer and seemed lighter. However, stiffness is not really necessary because they are only in compression/tension. I weighed the rods and they were exactly 2 grams lighter each. Hmm, I will have to go with the carbon. That should save me 8 grams over the whole plane (4 rods). That makes up for the extra servo!

Next, the fuselage. The fuse doublers are attached by wicking thin CA after you have them in place. I glued about 6 inches at a time, gave it a few seconds to wick and then hit it with a mist of accelerator (aerosol type). CA can take a long time to set on EPP. The printing doesn’t seem to be affected by the accelerator. My pink Zoom Zoom has purple spots were the accelerator made contact with the paint. I got through about half of the second side and I ran out of glue. I will have to make a trip to my LHS now.
Last edited by hybris; Sep 28, 2005 at 01:14 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 01:11 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,670 Posts
Great start! Nice looking plane too.
rvincent is online now Find More Posts by rvincent
Old Sep 28, 2005, 05:56 PM
3D Outlaw
Spring Valley Lake CA.
Joined Aug 2003
344 Posts
You may have already listed it, but what kind of foam is it, and can I get all of the electronics from soaring usa IE receiver, crystal esc?
david harris is offline Find More Posts by david harris
Old Sep 28, 2005, 08:08 PM
C.H.E.A.P.
Chino Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2005
1,513 Posts
Yeah! I gotta get one of those. Soaring is close by, so I'll have to pay Bob a visit.

Those guys are the coolest, and this foamy looks incredible!
All EPP except stab, I think. And they got it all, as I bought my 1st Blade 3d and complete set-up from Soaring.

Can't wait to get my hands on one!
MICKEL is offline Find More Posts by MICKEL
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Inverza33
Old Sep 29, 2005, 11:40 AM
Houston, TX
Joined May 2003
749 Posts
I got more glue. Now back to building the fuselage. On my original Zoom Zoom, I had installed the aluminum rods. The fuse was only about 5/8 inch thick. My first bad crash on a wingtip caused the fuse to bend right behind the wing. I pulled out the aluminum spars and replaced them with 1mm x 3mm flat carbon. I never had a problem again. Now with the Super Zoom, they have addressed that problem. Now, with the fuse doublers, the fuse cross section behind the wings is about 2 inches. I don’t think the aluminum rods would fail now. However, I chose to use carbon on the fuse spars also mainly for weight savings.

Now with the fuse done, I went on to the horizontal stab. Yes, this part is not EPP. I think EPP may be too flexible for the elevator. I never had a problem with the elevator on my Zoom Zoom. The new elevator does have the same nice new graphics printed on it. Don’t forget you cannot use regular CA on the elevator, I used epoxy.

The rudder is hinged the same way as the Zoom Zoom. It used fiberglass hinges with the aluminum rod.

This pretty much completed the construction of the airframe, now for the motor mount and the radio gear.
Old Sep 29, 2005, 03:35 PM
Re-kit'r extraordinair
Middle Georgia
Joined Apr 2004
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybris
Following are the additional electronics I got from Soaring. It was nice getting everything from one place plus free shipping when you order over $100 (easy to do).

4 Hitec HS-55 servos – These may not be the fastest servos on the market (had Blue Birds in my Zoom Zoom) but you can’t beat Hitec service. I got four because I like two servos for the ailerons. I believe this was one of the best improvements I made on my Zoom Zoom. It really benefited from elevator flap mix. I set about 30% down flap for full up elevator and opposite for down elevator. This tightens the loops by probably 75%!

Hitec Micro 05S 5-channel receiver – I thought I would try this new receiver. It is a single conversion receiver so I hope it is not plagued with the problems the older feathers had. It is nice because it is very small (similar to the GWS 6 channel) and it is set for channels 1-4 and 6. This is perfect for 2 servo wings. It also uses the standard full size Hitec single conversion crystals.

Phoenix25 ESC – I plan to pull about 18 amps max.

Thunder Power 3-cell 1320 Gen2 – I hope this will be up to the task of 18A bursts. I just want to save as much weight as I can.

Now for the most important part, the motor:

Himax HC2816-0890 Brushless Outrunner – The Super Zoom is supposed to come in a little heavier than the Zoom Zoom and I thought the AXI 2212-26 was just adequate for the Zoom Zoom. I wanted more power. This Himax should provide it. It is capable of 20/A200W. This should do. It does come with a weight penalty of almost an ounce over the AXI. The light battery should make up for that. I have been very happy with Himax outrunners in the past. The manual says I should pull about 16-18A throwing a 11x4.7 prop. A 12x6 should push it over 20A. I will have to go to 2100 lipos for that. Stay posted for how it works out.
I'm interested to see how this works out, I've been thinking this would be a good 3D flyer. I guess you can't complain about the price of the Himax motor, but I'm still partial to AXI. When I bought my AXI motors, I compared them and didn't think the 26 would have the power I needed. I went with the 2212/20 ultimately, and now have 3 of them. It has definately become my favorite motor. I believe it will be perfect for this plane. Using an APC 10X3.8 prop, it has gobs of power, and will go ballistic vertically. Using TP1320's the motor and batteries are only warm to the touch after a full flight. I think I can probably use the 11X3.8, but shouldn't be necessary with the power.

Rick
rickhtoo is offline Find More Posts by rickhtoo
Old Sep 29, 2005, 03:38 PM
Re-kit'r extraordinair
Middle Georgia
Joined Apr 2004
401 Posts
btw Hybris, can you slow that avitar down a bit? I'm getting dizzy.
rickhtoo is offline Find More Posts by rickhtoo
Old Sep 29, 2005, 03:54 PM
Houston, TX
Joined May 2003
749 Posts
That axi may work well. Definitely lighter. From my experience, AXI are very good motors but a little conservative on their ratings. Himax outrunners have never let me down. I definitely will post numbers when I test it. BTW, the AXI 2212 would be short for the motor mount. You would have to build it out or shorten the nose. The Super Zoom was designed for a Mega outrunner. The Himax fits perfectly though. I'll post pictures later.
Old Sep 29, 2005, 04:08 PM
Old Thumbs New Brain
Wichita Falls Texas
Joined Aug 2005
298 Posts
I would think a Hacker motor would do fine on this wouldn't it 20/22L or bigger?
When some flys the super please let me know, I have 2 regular Zooms and this one looks like it may be even a bit better.
hotled is offline Find More Posts by hotled
Old Sep 29, 2005, 04:15 PM
Houston, TX
Joined May 2003
749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotled
I would think a Hacker motor would do fine on this wouldn't it 20/22L or bigger?
When some flys the super please let me know, I have 2 regular Zooms and this one looks like it may be even a bit better.
I am sure a lot of outrunner would work well. I had a Razor 300 (inrunner) w/ 5.3:1 gear and 10x4.7 on my Zoom Zoom. It was about 165 watts output. Great vertical, just noisy. With the larger Super Zoom, i wanted more watts. I am hoping to come in at 200W/lb! Any power plant over 160 watts or so, should do fine.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 05:20 PM
Houston, TX
Joined May 2003
749 Posts
I didn’t get a whole lot more done last night. I spent too much time admiring the new plane. I installed the servos. I did go with the 2 servo wing as I did on my Zoom Zoom. As I said before, they greatly improved the loops by use of elevator-flap mixing. One downside is that I am going to need extensions for the servos. The long leads on the HS-55 servos would have reached if I had one aileron servo. Being more out on the wing, it made the wires too short. And, of course, I am out of my small 32awg servo wire. I may have to use the larger 24-28awg extensions for the mean time.

I got the motor installed. Boy does that Himax fit in there nicely. The Super Zoom comes with a bulkhead adapter if the motor doesn’t. I chose to use the one that came with the Himax. The hole pattern was slightly larger than what was pre-drilled on the bulkhead. This was an easy fix. I just drilled larger holes slightly outward of the stock holes to make one bigger hole.

The main gear is really neat. It has EPP strut covers and wheel pants. It was actually much easier to set up than I thought. The procedure is well documented in the instruction manual. It is also easily removable as on the Zoom Zoom for those rough ground flying areas.

Tonight I will finish up the electronics install and hopefully maiden the Super Zoom tomorrow. I will be sure to shoot some video.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 07:05 PM
United States, TX, Argyle
Joined Jan 2005
709 Posts
CarbonFiberSpar

Did you install the spar on the "cheeks" that attach to the fuse
or
did you install the spar on the fuse and then attach the "cheeks"

Pictures look like in the "cheek" but want to make sure as blue on blue in pictures makes it difficult to tell.

BTW great job on starting the thread and super pictures
Always a pleasure to see someone contribute this quality of work

Gota like that rudder its HUDGE
Microbatman is offline Find More Posts by Microbatman
Last edited by Microbatman; Sep 30, 2005 at 09:08 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 08:23 PM
Houston, TX
Joined May 2003
749 Posts
The cheeks were installed first and then the spars were installed. You want the spar as far apart as possible to increase rigidness. This was also per the instructions.