HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 12, 2001, 03:07 PM
St. Charles, MO USA
Joined Jan 2001
668 Posts
Tiger Moth Wing Hold Down Mods

Hi all,

I wanted an easy way to remove the wings and came up with a method using some 3/32 inch dowels. Go to the site
http://members.home.net/benlanterman/

and go to the bottom of the pictures (I am not a computer person so bear with me).

Click on the Tiger Moth to see a bigger picture. What I have done is glue in the dowels into the foam in place of the strut screws, also on the cowl. This lets you remove wing or cowl easily. I used the rubber bands to hold them place. You can use small bands as there is not a lot of load on them. I actually flew without the rubber bands as a check but it gets a little spooky.

I also noticed I have almost no dihedral on either top and bottom wing. There is a little more in flight but it is much less than the MAN article shows. I didn't have a ruler handy so winged it (pun) and goofed up and the glue was already set.

The airplane still handles very nicely and does everything smoothly except barrel rolls (this is where the lower dihedral angle would show up). It flys almost as if it were an aileron ship. No complaints so I will leave it as is and do the next one to instructions.

My compliments to the designer of these nice airplanes. I have put more hours on the Stick and Moth over the summer so far than most everything else put together over the last 5 years. Batteries that last an honest 20 minutes and iimpeccable handling qualities (stick with polyhedral wing though) make them a joy.

The Tiger Moth is a great looking airplane. I am looking forward to seeing what else they might produce.

Good landings
Ben
Ben Lanterman is offline Find More Posts by Ben Lanterman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2001, 10:55 PM
New Milford CT 06776
Joined Sep 2000
621 Posts
Thanks, Great mod I will be using that one.
JTinCT is offline Find More Posts by JTinCT
Old Jul 12, 2001, 10:56 PM
The Alleged Pilot
Atlanta, GA
Joined Jan 2001
244 Posts
Thanks for the excellent tip, Ben! I've been trying to think up a way to make the wing easily removable and this does the trick nicely.

Jason.
eloquinn is offline Find More Posts by eloquinn
Old Jul 13, 2001, 07:15 PM
Joined Mar 2001
2,624 Posts
Sorry for the slightly OT post, but I just wanted to complement Ben on the fabulous photos on his page. [To Moderator: Ben's mods to his Moth look good, too ]

Tony Turley
t-turley is offline Find More Posts by t-turley
Old Jul 13, 2001, 11:51 PM
"Simplify, then add lightness"
Raleigh,NC
Joined Nov 2000
2,701 Posts
Ben,
I also want to compliment you for your wing mounting mod.

Matt,
I enlarged the lower hole in the front of the cowling, and cut the foam out of the front of the battery channel. It seems to have improved the airflow through the cowling and around the motor.

Jeff
jeffs555 is offline Find More Posts by jeffs555
Old Jul 14, 2001, 12:33 AM
Dallas,TX
Joined Jul 2001
1,656 Posts
I second or make that third that idea. They should add that as an addendum to the kit. Who wouldn't want easily detachable wings on the tigermoth. I guess the only risk is damaging the wing when it is not supported by the middle struts in transport. I'll be doing that to my kit for sure. I am not happy with the cowl though. I may make my own that allows more airflow.
mattk17 is offline Find More Posts by mattk17
Old Jul 14, 2001, 11:20 AM
St. Charles, MO USA
Joined Jan 2001
668 Posts
Thanks for the compliments guys, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in awhile :-)

Ben

Ben Lanterman is offline Find More Posts by Ben Lanterman
Old Jul 15, 2001, 08:56 PM
Dallas,TX
Joined Jul 2001
1,656 Posts
Jeff,
I just finished out my tigermoth today and have been thinking about the cowling. I did a break-in using a 270mah 4.8v pack and after about a 15 minute run, the motor was very hot. I've decided to just leave it off.

I love the look of the tigermoth but gluing in those wing struts was a bear.
Old Jul 15, 2001, 09:26 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
I usually perform motor break-in with just 1 cell, which barely creates any heat. Some people recommend 2 cells. Never heard of anyone using a 4-cell break-in before, but I'd guess that is pushing the envelope in terms of generating heat.
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
Old Jul 15, 2001, 10:15 PM
United States, NJ, Manchester Township
Joined Dec 2000
1,058 Posts
Don't ever run the motor statically for that long a time on that many cells. You'll do more damage than helping it. Incidentally, I don't bother to break in the GWS motors as they seem fine out of the box and only improve with use(my first flights are no different than the last few). I've had no problems with those motor overheating in the air....tape the cowl together and use it...don't try to reengineer the plane...it flies just fine.
Tonight I cut the head off a Beanie Baby (Mr. Beaver) and glued to the rear cockpit with his head sticking out in the slip stream. I thought I might have a problem with it wanting to turn to the left, but it flew just fine with only a .335 oz weight increase. That makes the plane a total wt. of 9.299 oz and it still flies as one of the best planes I have.
Dorme is offline Find More Posts by Dorme
Old Jul 15, 2001, 10:39 PM
Dallas,TX
Joined Jul 2001
1,656 Posts
re: don't try to reengineer the plane...it flies just fine.

But re-engineering is part of the fun.

I did a practical mod to my tigermoth. I cut a small rectangular piece of the white strut material that was left over and added a slot to line up with the landing gear slot (made it slightly under the size of the foam opening). Glued it to the bottom of the fuse with 5-min epoxy. Now I have a very sturdy landing gear fixture and also a raised edge to help hold the bottom wing in place.

here is another simple tip: Buy a yellow sharpie (not hiliter) at your local office supply. Use it to color the edges of the foam, dowel rods and any other areas that need touchup. Works great and was just a buck.
Old Oct 01, 2001, 09:49 PM
Singapore
Joined Jan 2001
736 Posts
wheels

Hi Ben....
it seems that you too notice how soft the wheels are...does sticking two wheels together help in making them more rigid? if so how did you 'stick
' them together? with tape is it from the picture?
thanks
Muah is offline Find More Posts by Muah