Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 27, 2005, 03:05 PM
United States, ME, Stonington
Joined Aug 2005
103 Posts
Molded Foam Warbird Pylon Racing??

It seems to me that the current crop of great looking inexpensive molded foam warbirds available from Alpha, Flying Styro, GWS, etc would make up a great class for a pylon racing series. They seem to all be about the same size/weight and are powered, in stock form, by small inexpensive 280 size motors/gearboxes.

How would the classes be specified? I guess the motors need to be specified for sure. One could have brushed and brushless classes. That's easy enough to police. And batteries? The speed 400 racers have a battery spec of no more than an 8 cell 700 mah NiCad or NiMh, right? I suppose LiPo's being the current technology should be included in the class specification some how; in fact that might be a good way to keep speeds at a reasonable level for if one specified a fairly small LiPo, say 500mah. At todays state of the battery art being a max discharge rate of no greater than 15 to 20C, that would keep the max current draw to around 10 amps.

I'm not experienced in pylon racing and therefore don't really know what I'm talking about but I have an Alpha Lovochkin LA-7 with a Simprop BB 280, MPJ 5:1 GB, APC 8x6 SF prop and a 3 cell 1200 LiPo and the thing goes pretty fast (I think!). It would be fun to race it on a pylon course with other similar warbirds!

Does anyone have any other ideas? Diceco
diceco is offline Find More Posts by diceco
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2005, 05:16 PM
United States, ME, Stonington
Joined Aug 2005
103 Posts
Re molded foam warbird pylon racing

I'm in the wrong forum. How do I move it to "electric warbirds" ?
diceco is offline Find More Posts by diceco
Old Oct 23, 2005, 04:40 PM
Retired USAF, A&P mechanic
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Jul 2001
427 Posts
I proposed the same question a few or more months ago. little interest it seems. but it would be cool to emulate the scale racing of warbirds with reno racers off all types.
Ronbo is offline Find More Posts by Ronbo
Old Oct 23, 2005, 05:19 PM
Wandering IT geek
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Aug 2005
3,938 Posts
I'd be up for it but have a problem in that I'm too cheap to join a club/the AMA so have difficulty finding people in my area and a place big enough to fly pylon races...

I might talk with the LHS and see if they would be cool with me putting up signs in the shop regarding pylon racing next year... Could do a trial limitation of GWS warbirds or categorize the races by scale...

Anyway, if anyone in StL would like to try this shoot me a PM
ronin4740 is offline Find More Posts by ronin4740
Old Nov 04, 2005, 10:34 PM
I feel the need for SPEED
SoCal
Joined Oct 2005
39 Posts
I finished the Thunder Tiger, 1/12 scale version of Rare Bear, the Unlimited Class Reno Air Race champion several years running. I built it with the original motor and gear box provided in the kit and powered it with Lipos until it burned up the brushed motor. It flew pretty well on the brushed motor, but not as impressive as I would really want a Pylon Racer to be.

Now that I have replaced it with a brushless 450HT from JustGoFly and a 30 amp ESC, this thing will actually flutter the wings in level flight and the throttle at WFO. Using the prop that came with the kit, the plane is flying at least 75MPH, maybe a touch more. I was very impressed, this plane actually does justice to the "Bear" with the brushless set up. I know it is not scale speed, but this thing is so much fun to fly, and it out runs even most of the Mustangs and Zeros at the field with very similar set ups.
onur"6" is offline Find More Posts by onur"6"
Old Nov 09, 2005, 02:43 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
rumme is offline Find More Posts by rumme
Old Nov 09, 2005, 07:46 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,832 Posts
It's probably easiest to get two or three locals who want to simulate Reno racing to use the same power and battery setups, airframe reinforcements, and safety ground rules to prevent endangering themselves, other fliers and onlookers. It'd be easier to limit the number of racers to three to help avoid collisions. You'd want to be sure fliers were competant. It isn't safe to race while other non-racers are flying so there would need to be at least informal arrangements made with cooperation of non-racers. Glow racers and observers often stand on elevated platforms behind safety fences to better see their planes and other planes in the race. A one pound plus racer hitting someone at 50mph" must not happen!!!
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Nov 10, 2005, 04:04 AM
Wandering IT geek
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Aug 2005
3,938 Posts
Hmmm... I agree that the planes should be of similar types. Am thinking a good league bracket would be "GWS" and could have two categories - "GWS brushed" and "GWS brushless". Set the course up something like this:

http://www.airrace.org/images/RaceCourseUnlim.gif

and you'll basically take care of the "unlimited" brushless engine issue... i can't imagine even a heavily reinforced plane with a huge brushless engine being able to stay in course without folding wings at too much higher speed than one with a smaller engine...

... besides, isn't the idea to capture some of the fun of the "unlimited" class at Reno? They're not limited to "stock" engines..

Agreed that the number of racers per race should be limited. Was thinking for a good sized field 6 would be the max number... I'd concur that having inexperienced pilots in the mix would cause chaos but at least in a GWS class we're not talking about hundreds of dollars worth of airframes. If I were to dork one due to my or another pilot's error I'd repair or replace without too much griping.

Spectators should be warned to remain on alert and run away if any plane seems to be out of control and heading towards them without hesitation Pilots... well... bring your hard hat and duck behind something solid or run if presented with the same set of circumstances.

All in all I think it could be done relatively safely and would be very fun to participate in. Am going to have to see what I can do to get an Non-AMA/non-Club sanctioned group together here in St. Louis/St. Charles counties.
ronin4740 is offline Find More Posts by ronin4740
Old Jun 09, 2008, 02:30 PM
United States, AZ, Chino Valley
Joined Feb 2005
775 Posts
GWS Racing

Check out this thread...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=775140
Meatball is offline Find More Posts by Meatball