HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2005, 09:50 AM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Netanya, Israel
Joined Aug 2002
10,038 Posts
Wing covering

OK. This could become messy. What do you guys use to cover your wings?

I've used colored packing tape (Easy, light & cheap, but wrinkles quickly, and doesn't strengthen the wing much), and Oracover (not cheap, slightly heavier then tape, but makes the wing much stiffer and stronger).

I was thinking of trying Solite (if I can get it here) on my next wing adventure.

Any ideas/alternatives?

RW
Up&Away is offline Find More Posts by Up&Away
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2005, 12:43 PM
It's been a while.
Irvine, CA
Joined Jan 2005
2,690 Posts
I've used ultracoat and packing tape on my wings.
Ultracoat (I believe) is the same as oracover, with a different name. Ultracoat is the U.S. version.
Of the two Ultracoat was much better.
Daniel G is offline Find More Posts by Daniel G
Old Sep 27, 2005, 12:49 PM
Joined Apr 2004
328 Posts
I've used black tape on the bottoms of wings, as it looks great from even a few feet away, and oracover on the top because of the flourescent color I wanted. It has worked out great. As tape gets most of the wear, it can easily be replaced, and you can't even tell it's been patched.
Medve is offline Find More Posts by Medve
Old Sep 27, 2005, 08:31 PM
that tree ate my plane
oklahoma city oklahoma
Joined Apr 2004
1,647 Posts
i have used monokote and also (my preferance) 99 cents store clear packing tape. i found that tape holdes up better in a crash
rotccapt is offline Find More Posts by rotccapt
Old Sep 27, 2005, 08:45 PM
BlueGrass Rules
United States, IL, Dahlgren
Joined Nov 2003
1,097 Posts
Yep , Oracover and Ultrakote are one and the same . I like using Ultrakote , good stuff , strong and I can get it cheap and easy here . Monokote is a little stronger and maybe a little cheaper but still easy for me to get around here . Both will add a lot more to make the wing very rigid than just covering tape alone . The Ultrakote is more heat friendly to foam than Monokote , with it's lower adhesion and shrink properties , but when using the coverings along with contact adhesives heat is really not an issue . When I was using EPS foam I used Elmers "Kraft Bond" , for EPP foam I've used 3M 77 , but now use an adhesive by ITW TACC called Conbond 690 , both are a spray contact adhesive . But all aside and back to coverings , I found that the commercial coverings are superior to packing tape to make a foam wing rigid .

Mando......
mando is offline Find More Posts by mando
Old Sep 28, 2005, 02:01 AM
United States, CO, Greeley
Joined Aug 2002
118 Posts
so your saying you dont need to heat the ultrakote?
trey3670 is offline Find More Posts by trey3670
Old Sep 28, 2005, 02:54 AM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Netanya, Israel
Joined Aug 2002
10,038 Posts
Anybody ever used Solite?
Up&Away is offline Find More Posts by Up&Away
Old Sep 28, 2005, 06:11 AM
BlueGrass Rules
Joined Nov 2003
1,097 Posts
Trey , No , You still need to heat the covering to tighten and clean up the lines for a stiff fit and better look . The contact adhesive allows for better adhesion to foam than the adhesive that comes on the covering alone .

Mando......
Old Sep 28, 2005, 07:26 AM
Joined Aug 2003
313 Posts
Thanks Rene for posting on this topic. I too was thinking about covering an EPP mini-wing in solite. You guys are all dancing around his question: Can you use solite in the same way you use ultracote to cover a smaller wing? - N_G
Nutty_gnome is offline Find More Posts by Nutty_gnome
Old Sep 28, 2005, 10:15 AM
BlueGrass Rules
Joined Nov 2003
1,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene Wallage
OK. This could become messy. What do you guys use to cover your wings?I've used colored packing tape (Easy, light & cheap, but wrinkles quickly, and doesn't strengthen the wing much), and Oracover (not cheap, slightly heavier then tape, but makes the wing much stiffer and stronger).

I was thinking of trying Solite (if I can get it here) on my next wing adventure.

Any ideas/alternatives?

RW

Quote:
Can you use solite in the same way you use ultracote to cover a smaller wing? - N_G
Don't know for sure , never used Solite , but if it's anything like Ultrakote or Monokote or Econokote or Oracover , I'd say sure give it a try .
Old Sep 28, 2005, 10:20 AM
Ohio Wapak
Joined Feb 2002
3,710 Posts
I used econokote...this is the only thing I used....I have coverd about 5 wings with this stuff...I like how light it is...
thor4944 is offline Find More Posts by thor4944
Old Sep 28, 2005, 10:21 AM
Toronto, ON Canada
Joined Jul 2002
877 Posts
I've used Tape, Econocote and I just picked up some SIG "Aerokote" Low-temp covering - I'll be trying that tonight -

Ryan
Helicool is offline Find More Posts by Helicool
Old Sep 28, 2005, 12:31 PM
SpeedWing Test Cruncher
Loveland, Colorado, United States
Joined Jan 2003
899 Posts
We use Solite on the smaller SpeedWings most of the time. It's not as strong as some of the other coverings, but it is very light and looks good and works at really low temps.

-Rodger
marjamar is offline Find More Posts by marjamar
Old Sep 28, 2005, 06:07 PM
Wingman2004
South Carolina
Joined Oct 2004
250 Posts
Clearthane

I've used a plastic film called clearthane that is found in craft stores. It's the colored film used to wrap around easter baskets or flower arrangements. You spray a little 3M77 on your wing, and apply the film to one edge and use a straight edge to press it in place over the surface to the opposite edge. You can also use a hairdryer to tighten the surface and get rid of a few wrinkles. A roll only costs 2 or 3 bucks, and there is enough to cover more than one wing.
wingman2004 is offline Find More Posts by wingman2004
Last edited by wingman2004; Sep 29, 2005 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old Sep 28, 2005, 07:42 PM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Oct 2003
276 Posts
Ohhh - I can answer this one. I have tried Solartex, Solarfilm, Oracover , Oracover light and Solite - and all on EPP.

On an EPP model I wouldn't bother with Solite - compared to the other products it is a complete pain in the arse to use - the trade off you make for losing a fraction of weight on an EPP model is just not worth it - Fantastic product for a built up balsa model where every gram counts - and you truely are making a lightweight.

Next best lightweight option is Oracover Light - I have used this on an EPP red herring - easy to work with, adheres well and is light weight

Solarfilm - nice enough product works well sticks well (all with 3M 77)

BUT Oracover is just easier to work with - does everything that Solarfilm does but easier around curves, getting no creases etc etc

Solartex - this stuff sticks like **** to a blanket, is the easiest of them all around curves- but it is the heaviest

Cheers Dave

http://www.oracover.de/xml/frames.xm...ml?node_id=251

http://www.solarfilm.co.uk/
Retro is offline Find More Posts by Retro