HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 26, 2005, 11:06 PM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,200 Posts
For Sale: BTA Autopilot System.

Update: Sold, pending receipt of funds.
For Sale: B.T.A. AS-05 Autopilot system with Height Lock feature and 2-axis solid state magnetometer option. $125 for EVERYTHING (+ shipping). Paypal or money order. Please add 3% to cover my PayPal fees. I need the cash for other projects, so I am not interested trades.

This is an old product (early 1990's), but it has never been installed. I have carefully tested it on the bench and everything works. Included is the main BTA AS-05 controller module (6.75 oz) and the optional 2-axis magnetometer (6.75 oz), for course correction. The AS-05 has the factory installed Height Lock modification. Also provided are the instruction manuals and the cables. It is complete -- nothing is missing. Just add it to your R/C system.

The system is designed to work with all the popular R/C systems and is essentially a plug-in installation. It connects between a model airplane's R/C Rx and the aileron and elevator servos. It must be used with a stable model airplane (non aerobatic).

The AS-05 provides for roll and altitude correction. It has an internal BB mechanical gyro for roll correction and a sensitive barometer for altitude correction. The 2-Axis Magnetometer sub-system provides course/yaw correction using a unique solid state compass-like sensor. Accuracy is reportedly better than +/-5%. It all operates on the Rx's 4.8VDC power. Total current is approx 120mA.

The first photo is of the AS-05 module kit (pencil not included ). The second photo is of the 2-Axis Magnetometer module kit.
Mr.RC-CAM is offline Find More Posts by Mr.RC-CAM
Last edited by Mr.RC-CAM; Sep 30, 2005 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Baby has a new home.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2005, 11:31 PM
Alamo Park, Yerba Buena
Joined Jun 2004
230 Posts
This is a great deal for anyone who can handle the payload!
sesat is offline Find More Posts by sesat
Old Sep 28, 2005, 01:32 AM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,200 Posts
It is a bit bulky. But keep in mind that you don't have to install the optional magnetometer modules. The main controller (AS-05) can be used on its own for a total payload weight of 6.75 ounces.

BTW, I'm surprised that it's not sold yet. The system does work (I understand that the AS-05 controller line was even used on commercially produced drones). The setup shown here originally sold for hundreds of dollars. Even if it doesn't get mounted in an aircraft, it would make a very interesting display piece for someone in the UAV/RPV business.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 11:04 AM
Joined Sep 2005
2 Posts
Do you know where this unit came from?
Who was original owner?

Thanx
lovetoflyrc is offline Find More Posts by lovetoflyrc
Old Sep 28, 2005, 11:15 AM
Professor of Wood
Nampa. Idaho
Joined Nov 2004
4,266 Posts
That is a good deal. I have the AS-06 and AS-07 units. They are bigger than a co-pilot, but they don't care about temperature difference and changing conditions. They will fly in adverse conditions where the co-pilot is a fair weather device. They can fly in canyons or along mountains without caring about seeing a balanced horizon. Truly a tactical device. A new 07 can be had from www.maxxprod.com/ but it's only roll and pitch. And it's about 250 to 300 dollars. I think few are asking because they don't know what it is and what a good deal it is.

Dan
kd7ost is offline Find More Posts by kd7ost
Old Sep 28, 2005, 11:17 AM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,200 Posts
Quote:
Who was original owner?
I am not the original owner. I purchased it from another modeler who never used it. The package is complete and functional.

Quote:
I think few are asking because they don't know what it is and what a good deal it is.
Due to the cost of the BTA systems, they are generally not found in the hands of hobbyists. Most are in expensive commercial drones. This is not a hacked up toy. It is the real deal.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 12:02 PM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
11,049 Posts
That looks like a neat deivce.... To bad you not taking trades, I have a UNAV3300 I was looking to get rid of

Sorry Guys... I dont really have a UNAV3300 , I wish I did... I just figured everyone would realize it was a joke to trade a UNAV3300 for that old thing
JettPilot is online now Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Last edited by JettPilot; Sep 28, 2005 at 02:21 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 12:53 PM
Professor of Wood
Nampa. Idaho
Joined Nov 2004
4,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot
That looks like a neat deivce.... To bad you not taking trades, I have a UNAV3300 I was looking to get rid of
PM sent

Dan
Old Sep 28, 2005, 06:04 PM
Professor of Wood
Nampa. Idaho
Joined Nov 2004
4,266 Posts
double post

Dan
Last edited by kd7ost; Sep 28, 2005 at 06:26 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 06:26 PM
Professor of Wood
Nampa. Idaho
Joined Nov 2004
4,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RC-CAM
(I understand that the AS-05 controller line was even used on commercially produced drones). The setup shown here originally sold for hundreds of dollars. Even if it doesn't get mounted in an aircraft, it would make a very interesting display piece for someone in the UAV/RPV business.
The BTA units are offshoots of commercial units developed by IAI (Isreal Aircraft Industries) to use in their UAV's. Although they too have turned to newer types of sensors, you have to add zero's to make a purchase. Like I said above, these units don't need to be calibrated to IR temperature and you don't need to make sure you have fair weather and a clear view to the horizon all around. They work when other systems fail. Hold out for you're asking price Mr RCCam. Thats dirt cheap. The right person will come along. I have two so don't need another. They sure handle things in a bigger plane that a co-pilot won't handle. It is bigger and takes more power but, you get performance for it.

Dan
Old Sep 28, 2005, 06:53 PM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,200 Posts
Quote:
Hold out for you're asking price Mr RCCam. That's dirt cheap.
I am convinced I should have asked a higher price. But, I thought I'd get an instant sale with what I posted. However, I suspect it is only causing confusion, since a cheap price makes the BTA system appear inferior. This system is not a simple FMA Co-Pilot, that is for sure.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 08:06 PM
Alamo Park, Yerba Buena
Joined Jun 2004
230 Posts
That gyro in there is worth much more than $125!!!
sesat is offline Find More Posts by sesat
Old Sep 30, 2005, 02:12 AM
Joined Sep 2005
2 Posts
Bta and hobbyists

I once heard that over 10,000 of the BTA AS-05 and AS-06 units were sold world wide.
I think many were purchased by hobbyists. I own several and they work very well.
Your product, is an older model, although considered very high tech, that is from 15 years ago.
Since then AS-07 solid state version with GPS is available from maxx products
If I knew that yours is in working condition, I would consider purchasing to try.
I assume you are selling it as is? That is the reason why I asked if you are original owner and what is history of your item.
lovetoflyrc is offline Find More Posts by lovetoflyrc
Old Sep 30, 2005, 02:57 AM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,200 Posts
I have tested it and all functions work on the bench. The buyer would be given an opportunity to return it for refund, less shipping cost, if it is dead on arrival. However, I am not a retailer so there is no warranty beyond that.

The price is low, so I really don't want to have to jump through hoops in order to sell it. I'll just keep it instead if it might come to that. Basically, the buyer should be someone that has a compatible aircraft (slow stable model of good size), some related experience, and can spend the time to tweak the system for good performance. This is not a toy, that is for sure.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 12:54 PM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,200 Posts
Sold, pending receipt of funds.