HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 26, 2005, 08:32 PM
Greensboro/H.Pt/Win-Salem P.T. Intl, North Carolina, United States
Joined Dec 2003
3,514 Posts
CC phoenix auto calibrate throttle question

Does anyone know how the phoenix auto calibrating throttle works? Is it necessary to to run WOT for a few seconds before takeoff to calibrate it on each power up? What happens if you don't?
NCguy is offline Find More Posts by NCguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2005, 08:38 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,547 Posts
It would be an easy experiment to try, but this sort of "mystery" is why I always use the fixed throttle option. No surprises.
Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Sep 26, 2005, 08:53 PM
Joined Dec 2003
3,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie
It would be an easy experiment to try, but this sort of "mystery" is why I always use the fixed throttle option. No surprises.
Pat MacKenzie
True, but i'm really wondering how its intended to work. I've been using it but my airfield buddy claims he is getting more power with fixed. What are pros/cons? There must be a reason its there?
Old Sep 26, 2005, 08:54 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCguy
Does anyone know how the phoenix auto calibrating throttle works? Is it necessary to to run WOT for a few seconds before takeoff to calibrate it on each power up? What happens if you don't?
I never do that to calibrate the stick travel and it works just fine (or so it seems). I've heard you can put the stick at WOT when you power up the ESC to set the upper travel limit before the ESC arms to avoid running it at WOT afterwards, but I don't know if that makes any difference either. Maybe I'll try that next time. I've always just powered up, push the stick forward and it flies fine at what I believe is full throttle.

I have no idea how the logic works, though. Maybe it arbitrarily sets the upper limit very low (e.g. 1/2 throttle stick travel) to start with, and adjusts the upper limit upward anytime the stick moves beyond the last max input point?
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Sep 26, 2005, 09:07 PM
Joined Dec 2003
3,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank
I have no idea how the logic works, though. Maybe it arbitrarily sets the upper limit very low (e.g. 1/2 throttle stick travel) to start with, and adjusts the upper limit upward anytime the stick moves beyond the last max input point?
Seems like if the upper travel limit were a moving target that could potentially cause unwanted side effects. Pilots seem to want everything doing the same thing all the time I havent noticed it moving it around but I'm not the greatest pilot either.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 09:09 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,549 Posts
You should go to WOT early in the flight for a few seconds for proper calibration. Most of the time it does not matter however if you fly at reduced throttle for awhile and get a few glitches you may end up with full throttle at 1/2 stick which gives a very non linear throttle curve..
If you can see the ESC it is easy to tell where WOT is reached by the full on Red LED.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Sep 26, 2005, 09:15 PM
Joined Dec 2003
3,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer
You should go to WOT early in the flight for a few seconds for proper calibration. Most of the time it does not matter however if you fly at reduced throttle for awhile and get a few glitches you may end up with full throttle at 1/2 stick which gives a very non linear throttle curve..
If you can see the ESC it is easy to tell where WOT is reached by the full on Red LED.

Charles
When does it actually set? Within a certain amount of time after startup? Does it continuously update after that? What is the algorithm?
Old Sep 26, 2005, 09:17 PM
Joined Dec 2002
16,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCguy
Seems like if the upper travel limit were a moving target that could potentially cause unwanted side effects. Pilots seem to want everything doing the same thing all the time I havent noticed it moving it around but I'm not the greatest pilot either.
Like I said, fixed throttle eliminates all of the guess work. One less "ghost in the machine".
I think the automatic option is only so that radios without ATVs can be used. Probably reduces the number of support calls as well.
Pat MacKenzie
Old Sep 26, 2005, 09:58 PM
North Central Positronics
USA, GA, Centerville
Joined Dec 2002
3,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie
Like I said, fixed throttle eliminates all of the guess work. One less "ghost in the machine".
I think the automatic option is only so that radios without ATVs can be used. Probably reduces the number of support calls as well.
Pat MacKenzie
Disagree completely. Boy, does fixed throttle suck. Starts at 1/4+ throttle, and reduces range of travel enough to just about negate 3D flying. However, do it RIGHT ( read the explanation of terms in the Castle forum, or read the instructions for the controller ) and you'll have a real gem. I set all mine for auto. I plug in the battery at half throttle, quickly set the bottom and top ends and fly. Another easy way it can be done is to set the bottom and take off with full throttle.

No guessing to it, it's easy and precise.

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
badbill is offline Find More Posts by badbill
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 26, 2005, 10:14 PM
Joined Dec 2002
16,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbill
Disagree completely. Boy, does fixed throttle suck. Starts at 1/4+ throttle, and reduces range of travel enough to just about negate 3D flying. However, do it RIGHT ( read the explanation of terms in the Castle forum, or read the instructions for the controller ) and you'll have a real gem. I set all mine for auto. I plug in the battery at half throttle, quickly set the bottom and top ends and fly. Another easy way it can be done is to set the bottom and take off with full throttle.

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
I fly 3D on fixed throttle all the time. I adjust the ATVs so that the motor starts with the stick just off the stop and hits full at just below the end.
I do the same thing for helicopters. No problem.
Your post shows that Castle was smart enough to give both of us what we want.
One of us is right
Pat MacKenzie
Old Sep 26, 2005, 10:36 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbill
... Another easy way it can be done is to set the bottom and take off with full throttle.

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
This is what I always do, so I guess that explains why it has always worked fine for me.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Sep 27, 2005, 07:42 AM
North Central Positronics
USA, GA, Centerville
Joined Dec 2002
3,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank
This is what I always do, so I guess that explains why it has always worked fine for me.
Yup. I guess you can mish-mash it with the throttle endpoints to make it seem you're getting full travel, but it never has the proportional feel from top to bottom as if you do it auto calibrating.

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
badbill is offline Find More Posts by badbill
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2005, 09:44 AM
And You're Not
Timbuktu, Mali (Happy?)
Joined Oct 2002
6,514 Posts
On some motors/planes, the Auto seems fine. I had one that just had nothing until half throttle, then it was on like a switch at maybe 5/8 to 3/4. This was with auto. Amp draw at WOT was 53A IIRC, 1/2 stick gave 17A I think.

Fixed linear throttle wasn't any better.

So I used fixed throttle and a 13 point throttle curve to give a lot more resolution below half throttle and man, did it ever make a difference. Now on that TX I use the throttle curve all on all my models. It has a Futaba synth module so I can't run my Bergs on it, I use a different TX with separate modules on my Berg planes and all of them fly fine with Auto.
Jeffery is offline Find More Posts by Jeffery