SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 13, 2001, 02:33 AM
Flying slowly along..
Northern Ca.
Joined Dec 2000
1,336 Posts
Old timer, kit suggestions please

After playing around with some faster stuff, I'm kind of being attracted to older "classic" looking airplanes. I recently purchased a Brummi, which is the same as a Hummel. I'm interested in building other old timer looking kits and would appreciate any suggestions you guys might have.

I've seen a plane called a Commadore fly, and I really liked it. I believe that this particular model was over 20 years old!! It was in beautiful shape. I believe it was a converted gas plane. Have any of you heard of that particular plane? ----Rob
slowflyer is offline Find More Posts by slowflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2001, 06:16 AM
secaucus,n.j.
Joined Jan 2001
48 Posts
http://www.benbucklevintage.com/
roland is offline Find More Posts by roland
Old Jul 13, 2001, 08:27 AM
Tork it or Dork it
Elizabethville,PA USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,198 Posts
Check out the Quaker. from www.pennvalleyhobbycenter.com
They make a 54 and 96 inch wingspan one both for electric. My dad is soon building his. He has the Quaker 54. He is going to use the Graupner 1700 series 2.3:1 gear drive and 6V400, on 8x600ae, and 9x5 slim prop. It is a very nice kit. Every thing is cut out.
The Miss2 is a very nice arf electric oldtimer. I have one and like it very much! Just for floating around, can do much.
Ryan Nau is offline Find More Posts by Ryan Nau
Old Jul 13, 2001, 08:37 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Rob
Check out:
http://www.soy.on.ca/planes.html

They don't seem to have updated their site recently, but announced a couple of S400 sized versions of their OT kits. One was the Viking, I recall.

20 years old model - barely broke-in! For a first try at an OT, you may want to go with a modern kit that's already updated for RC. "True" vintage/OT kits and plans can require a fair degree of building / fixin' / problem solving

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Jul 13, 2001, 09:04 AM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,719 Posts
Ben Buckle kits certainly bear out Dereck's description- they're umm challenging, especially with regard to accuracy of plans, parts, bending music wire for gear, etc.

Recently I just finished rebuilding a 50 inch Buzzard Bombshell for electric- this airplane flies very well- is even mildly aerobatic, and is a little smaller than some of the others mentioned. I'm flying it on a Turbo 450 motor, 7.5 x 4 inch folder, and a 7 cell CP 1300 pack for an all up weight of about 28 ounces or so. Climbs are at a steep angle, but not particularly quick. The kit is available at Penn Valley Hobby Center (www.pennvalleyhobbycenter.com)- and is a much easier build than a Ben Buckle. Note- I have the Ben Buckle Super Skorpion- which is simply one of the best flying old timers I've ever seen. Also note that in the smaller sizes- the R/N kits of things like the Mercury, or Comet Clipper Mk. II (around 34" or so and at 7 ounces) with a Speed 280 make really sweet park flyers.

Sam Brauer
Norwalk, CT
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Jul 13, 2001, 06:40 PM
La Honda CA USA
Joined Oct 2000
208 Posts
look at the miss2. possibly at hobby-lobby.
it is an ot updated for eflite. it is a balsa arf really beautiful.
do aosearch on miss 2 and miss2.
ez
ezekiel is offline Find More Posts by ezekiel
Old Jul 13, 2001, 06:44 PM
La Honda CA USA
Joined Oct 2000
208 Posts
look at the miss2. possibly at hobby-lobby.
it is an ot updated for eflite. it is a balsa arf really beautiful.
do aosearch on miss 2 and miss2.
ez
ezekiel is offline Find More Posts by ezekiel
Old Jul 13, 2001, 06:49 PM
Kent, Wa.
Joined Feb 2001
641 Posts
Are you interested in REAL OLD TIMER airplanes.

I am converting one of the RN Models .020 Free Flight kits to electric RC. It has a 36" wingspan. I plan to power it with a 4:1 S280.

I have one wing finished. I hope to fly it at a old timer fun fly next month.

Robbie
Rotten Robbie is offline Find More Posts by Rotten Robbie
Old Jul 13, 2001, 11:10 PM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,186 Posts
Has anyone tried the newtimer? It's a ARF that has classic old timer looks. I've been considering one for a while now.

Al
Allan Wright is offline Find More Posts by Allan Wright
Old Jul 14, 2001, 08:12 PM
Flying slowly along..
Northern Ca.
Joined Dec 2000
1,336 Posts
Dereck. I can't get the link to work, Can you get me the address?---Rob
slowflyer is offline Find More Posts by slowflyer
Old Jul 14, 2001, 08:37 PM
Don't cut the Yellow Wire
Ridgewood ,NJ
Joined Jan 2000
3,556 Posts
Check out Klarich custom kits. I just received a 44 in Request, 45 in Rambler, Comet Interceptor and two Beshar Foxes. THe Request is a real beauty it looks like a Coronet but with a rounded belly.

Check out the "California Condor" for his suggestions (EUT)
dr.E is online now Find More Posts by dr.E
Old Jul 15, 2001, 09:51 AM
Joined Dec 2000
148 Posts
I have to also recommend the RN models for R/C conversion. I'm finishing a Brooklyn Dodger conversion now. If you build carefully, these models can use Lite Stick gear. http://www.freeflightmodels.com/ The kit is really simple to build! Let us know how it goes. My dodger is coming in at 5.5 oz! Brian
bthomass is offline Find More Posts by bthomass
Old Jul 15, 2001, 10:55 AM
I'll have the roast duck
oakland, ca
Joined Jun 2001
296 Posts
Hey bthomass, great site, just wish I could see some pics of these old guys
maximus is offline Find More Posts by maximus