HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 26, 2005, 08:46 AM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,328 Posts
Next conversion project -- Seawind!

6S & AXI; should do it; maybe geared to get more out of the 3 blader.

ROG, ROW, & ROSnow would be fun!

Anybody have a guess as to how sport like it would fly sport aeros that is?

Jim

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKEW6&P=7

http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma1360.html
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2005, 10:23 AM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
I thought this would be a cool plane. I could not figure where you are going to put the ESC, give it enough cooling, keep it dry, witout lengthening the motor wires. Would just have to look the plane over.

Kirby
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople
Old Sep 26, 2005, 10:53 AM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,328 Posts
Me too: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=420575 .

A lot of scale models (i.e. multis) would be helped with longer wires.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 11:45 AM
Aerial Shutterbug
San Mateo, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
5,007 Posts
Why not stuff the into the flat section just aft of the motor pod, surely there is enough room in there?

For moisture protection a coating of polyurethane on the ESC will suffice. It's what I use on delicate electronic instrumentation in order to protect them from environmental concerns. Remove the shrink wrap and spray on a light coating...unpowered of course.

A very nice looking conversion project, good luck with it!

-Roger
RMihara is offline Find More Posts by RMihara
Old Sep 26, 2005, 02:02 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,201 Posts
I looked at that plane and dismissed it fairly quickly. My problem with the plane was the weight. Did you see the projected wing loading....something like 35-41 oz/sq.ft. That seems awfully high for a plane this size.

Wiz
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some new engines some older
Old Sep 26, 2005, 02:18 PM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,328 Posts
Yes, its very hard to make a clear assessment based on the data listed; especially when the model is not yet available.

Ill, for the moment, hope the specs are incorrect; with a weight closer to the Lancair ( http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCZR7&P=ML ).

And, check it out at the hobby shop before a purchase.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 02:53 PM
Convert!
Los Angeles, CA (UCLA)
Joined Nov 2002
3,889 Posts
longer wires aren't good, but there are ways to help that. You can deal with the longer wires by brading them, and using ferrite rings. When I've had to use long wires, I've done that, and it has helped remove any glitching I've faced.

Rhett
rroback is offline Find More Posts by rroback
Old Sep 26, 2005, 03:19 PM
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
What we need is a light weight fan such as those used on Overclocked and high end graphics cards in PC's that can run on 6v and produce enough cooling to dissapate the heat.

heck, if it weighed 2 ounce, even my big yak would benefit from that. Some of the weight would be saved because you could possibly use an opto 77 controller vs having to use the 90amper for cooling fins.

Kirby
Old Sep 26, 2005, 03:35 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,201 Posts
I'm going to be following your progress if you decide to get one. I live on a small (160 acre) inland lake and this plane would make a nice addition to my hangar, especially because I totaled my float equiped Cub.....It was my last slimer.

Wiz
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some new engines some older
Old Sep 26, 2005, 06:25 PM
100% electric since 1990
United States, MA, Ware
Joined Jul 2001
1,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kepople
What we need is a light weight fan such as those used on Overclocked and high end graphics cards in PC's that can run on 6v and produce enough cooling to dissapate the heat.

heck, if it weighed 2 ounce, even my big yak would benefit from that. Some of the weight would be saved because you could possibly use an opto 77 controller vs having to use the 90amper for cooling fins.

Kirby
People have been doing this for some time- I have a 2" cpu fan in my schneider sport to cool the esc.
it is a 12v model that runs on 4s lipo just fine. 24v versions are also available. These are the sub- 1oz fans found in laptops, not the behemoths found on overclocked cpu's- you'd be surprised at how just a modest amount of forced air will cool an esc compared to using airscoops.

As for the seawind- look at that wing area. I'm not sure if it would be a fun plane to fly glo powered, never mind electric. I love the plane, I've wanted one since I was in 6th grade, but this model looks like it will be an electric challenge. Good luck.
twest is offline Find More Posts by twest
Old Sep 26, 2005, 06:46 PM
Aerial Shutterbug
San Mateo, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
5,007 Posts
Kirby,

You could add a heatsink to the opto 77 like I did on my Funtana...only added 15 grams and knocked off about 10F to 15F from the controllers temperature (measured post flight).

-Roger
RMihara is offline Find More Posts by RMihara
Old Sep 26, 2005, 06:47 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,318 Posts
I know some electric helicopter flyers that use fans for their ESC's.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old Sep 26, 2005, 08:13 PM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,274 Posts
The Seawind is a beautiful looking plane. It reminds me a lot of the North Star designed by Laddie Mikulasko and sold by Balsa USA. I've seen quite a few of them fly at the Red Bluff Float Fly. Nice flying ships they seem to be!

The difference is the wing shape is a delta on the NS. It might be a great candidate for E-power.

North Star

Seawind
[attachment]600165[/attachment]
GregG is online now Find More Posts by GregG
Old Sep 26, 2005, 10:14 PM
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
Roger;
How did you adhere that heat sink and where did you find it?

Thanks
Kirby
Old Sep 27, 2005, 02:08 AM
Convert!
Los Angeles, CA (UCLA)
Joined Nov 2002
3,889 Posts
the best way to adhere heatsinks is to get some thermal transer tape ( not sure exactly what it's called) but you stick that on the fets of the esc, and then stick the heatsink on. I'd stick a thin zip tie around it, to make sure the sink doesn't pop off.

r
rroback is offline Find More Posts by rroback