HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 12, 2002, 11:44 AM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
Nasty Neighbor

Yesterday i was flying my Razor and right across the street from the trailer park i live in is a soccer field where i fly. Anyways there are alot of wires and what not so when i land i have to fly over the trailer park acroos the road under some Hydro wiores and land in the parkingf lot. well yestrday my plane tip staled and did a SLOW death spiral to the ground in this guy`s front yard. (I am Flying behinde his place)I put down my dadio and go over to get it as i come around into view he has it in his hands and the wing is broken at the root one metal rod that runs to the elevon is bent and the carbon spar is sticking out of the broken wing. I take it home and cut out the center section andf pull out my spar(I did noty glue mine in as it was a Tight fit) as i opull it out you can see where it is crushed and splinterd. Now I have crashed and death spiraled MANY MANY times and there was NEVER enough force to do this. Not only that but my battery was still in place it had not fallen out and this batt falls out on most death spirals. I came to the conclusion that he picked the sucker up and snapped it in half.The guy is a real crank. Anbyways he was walking his dog in the soccer field this morning(Right by the NO DOGS ALLOWED SIGN) I was just testing my repair job and gave it a toss it came withing 2 inches of the ground and started climbing it was in a slow turn and i diod not want to start trimimg or anything until it got some height. Well to make a long story short I buzzed him Half unnnintentionaly. I could have corrected and risked stalling the wing and i probably would have if he had noit done what he did. I tell ya i was a good feeling whatching him duck!. He grumbled something and i just told him he was not supposed to be there in the first place(As i was pointing to the sign)
kushal_22 is offline Find More Posts by kushal_22
Old May 12, 2002, 01:49 PM
Central Point, OR.
Joined May 2002
2,922 Posts
Yeah, imagine the guy's surprise when he saw the plane in the air again! he, he, he. he probably thought he had finally got rid of that "pesky flying toy"(as I have heard others in my neighborhood call my zagi) Next time ya see him in the field, go over and snap his rat dog in half. That'l fix his wagon!!!!

Randy
Ranfred Radius is offline Find More Posts by Ranfred Radius
Old May 12, 2002, 02:11 PM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
Now how did you know His Dawg was no bigger than a Rat? Seriously he has got one of those little Yappie Rat dogs. "Does this say anything about the people who choose to get these dogs? Sure can tell a person by what type of dog they get Eh?

Mal
Old May 12, 2002, 03:36 PM
I have no friends
United States, MI, Holland
Joined Dec 1996
3,228 Posts
The guy does sound like a real jerk, but it takes an even bigger jerk to go after an innocent dog because of what the owner did.

By the way, I own a small dog.
mt_100 is online now Find More Posts by mt_100
Old May 12, 2002, 03:53 PM
Stress Be Gone
Snohomish, WA
Joined May 2000
3,343 Posts
There is a thread in the Open Discussion forum called "#1 Thing That Kills Hobby. Think this behavior would be a prime example. Buzzing anyone with a model is dangerous no matter what you think he did to your plane.
GBR2 is online now Find More Posts by GBR2
Old May 12, 2002, 04:45 PM
Central Point, OR.
Joined May 2002
2,922 Posts
Mal,
I guess mt_100 is right. the dog didn't do nuthin. Next time ya see the guy.... Snap him in half!!!

mt_100,
As for killin the hobby. My guess is that this thread didn't kill your flying mood, did it? Are ya gonna go sell your planes cause some of us don't care for "ankle biters"???? You can make fun of my lab, if it makes ya feel any better. She's dumb as a rock! She chases my 400X on takeoff and goes outta her way to get in the planes path every time I land!(well maybe i swerve a little to line up on her)

Lighten up!!!
Randy
Ranfred Radius is offline Find More Posts by Ranfred Radius
Old May 12, 2002, 05:40 PM
Logo 10 Flyer
Prince George,B.C.,Canada
Joined May 2001
285 Posts
Are you coming to Chilliwack?

If so introduce yourself to me,

I will be there with my Ryan Bearcat,Electrostreak and hopefully
my Logo 10.
Oh ya I will have my Miniature Pinscher there to.

But on the other hand,don't bother to talk to me cause I'm one of "those" people.

Some peoples children
Scott
Skippy360 is offline Find More Posts by Skippy360
Old May 12, 2002, 05:43 PM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
First off I did not intentionally "Buzz" him. I believe i stated this. As far as him Brealing my wing i took it with a grain of salt. just as others should about "Snapping" Anything in Half.As far as i am concerned i figured i did the best H"A got you back" by getting it flying agian. As Rocketman stated this probably surprised him and pissed him off all the more seeing it back flying Withing 45 mins!.....Well not really as it was getting dusk when he did it and the next time he saw me was at around 8am. I am sure he went to bed no later than say 11pm so in all actuallity it probably felt like 45 mins. I know it did to me.

Mal
Old May 12, 2002, 06:27 PM
Australia
Joined Oct 2000
1,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kushal_22
First off I did not intentionally "Buzz" him. I believe i stated this. As far as him Brealing my wing i took it with a grain of salt. just as others should about "Snapping" Anything in Half.As far as i am concerned i figured i did the best H"A got you back" by getting it flying agian
Mal
I know this sounds unfair..1st u landed on his property, he has
the right not to hand back the plane..u have no proof the he broke your plane, and to make matter worst u buzzed him unintentionally...whether it is unintention or not u sure create a situation where local council will band all sorts of flying in the local
park. If u r a member of AMA and u landed on the guys head u dont have a leg to stand on as far as libel suit is concerned.

I suggest we fly discretely in local park and try not create a scene.
This way we all keep our parkflyers in the air near home.

I know I sounded like an old hen..my experience is this sort of incident loose flying site.
MartinL is offline Find More Posts by MartinL
Old May 12, 2002, 06:29 PM
san jose,ca
Joined Jun 2001
90 Posts
Quote:
Anyways there are alot of wires and what not so when i land i have to fly over the trailer park acroos the road under some Hydro wiores and land in the parkingf lot.
Besides the horrible spelling, this sounds absolutly appalling to me!! You shouldn't be flying over homes and around a lot of wires.

Quote:
Now I have crashed and death spiraled MANY MANY times and there was NEVER enough force to do this
Since it seems you crash alot, what would happen if you hit a little kid?? One of the first rules of EFlight is to use common sense. How old are you anyway??
balch is offline Find More Posts by balch
Last edited by balch; May 12, 2002 at 07:11 PM.
Old May 12, 2002, 06:48 PM
Joined Nov 2001
184 Posts
I would like to suggest that buzzing people, unintentionally or otherwise, is just plain stupid. If you can't maintain adequate control of your aircraft, get further away from people until you can.

A 15 oz model going 30-40 mph could kill you, if it hits you in the wrong way. Don't believe me? People die playing softball. There is no quicker way to bankrupt yourself than to wind up in liability court, even if you just bruise somebody.

As the pilot of an aircraft, either full scale or model, you are responsible for it's safe operation. So the guy broke your airplane. Big deal. You did, after all, crash in his yard. Be grateful he gave you your stuff back.

Grow up, man.

Jason
JBowling is offline Find More Posts by JBowling
Old May 12, 2002, 07:09 PM
Private Pilot, M20J Owner
Lake Dallas, Texas
Joined Apr 2002
86 Posts
Quote:
You did, after all, crash in his yard. Be grateful he gave you your stuff back.
I would like to point out that law allows for "reasonable means" to recover ones property. Even if it had gone over someone's fenced area, the law still allows you to recover it...again, using reasonable means. Had the plane been kept and failed to be lawfully returned, he would fall under local laws for theft whereby jail time may follow.

In short, luck has nothing to do with it.

Oh, one last thing. Even after it crashed into his yard, if he did willingly damage it, it is still willful destruction of private property. Again, this is illegal. At no point in time does anyone gain the right to willingly destroy your property...even if you crash it into their yard.
ThunderChicken is offline Find More Posts by ThunderChicken
Last edited by ThunderChicken; May 12, 2002 at 07:12 PM.
Old May 12, 2002, 07:35 PM
I have no friends
United States, MI, Holland
Joined Dec 1996
3,228 Posts
All sizes of dogs are great, I love'em all.

My comment was just to lighten you up about judging people based on trivial things like dogs they get. Otherwise, I just wanted to make the point not to hurt the dog, and it looks like that was understood without question.

I'm very lighthearted, just don't take kindly to hurting animals, didn't mean to sound offended so no blood no foul.
mt_100 is online now Find More Posts by mt_100
Old May 12, 2002, 08:07 PM
Master of disaster
Northern Virginia
Joined May 2000
707 Posts
Dude, 98 % of all people are boneheads.
Do yourself a favor and fly with other modelers who
are the 2% of cool people. If you don't like the local
club find simular minded fliers and get permission to use
a field/area. Then you can tell the grumps to go screw!@
Travis is offline Find More Posts by Travis
Old May 12, 2002, 08:09 PM
Heart of Texas
Joined Apr 2002
95 Posts
Regardless of your take on this, it all boils down to some flying that probably shouldn't have been undertaken in the first place. We have a responsibility to the community to fly in a safe and considerate manner. The initial flights apparently weren't safe, based on the "wires" comments and the repeated "death spirals". The attitude expressed by the buzz job, "HALF UNINTENTIONALLY", comes across as boastbul. Everything since then appears to be argumentative to justify the situation. Actually, "Nasty Neighbor" seems to apply both ways.

The best way to get along with our neighbors is to fly responsibly. When you make a mistake, apologize. Thank the "neighbor" when he gives your equipment back. Don't try to justify your error.

The best place for that not so little park flyer (not a back yard flyer) is in a park of sufficient size to accomodate it. Then, it should not be flown in close proximity to human or dogs. There is a really good chance that if you check the city ordinances, not only was his dog's presence illegal, but so was your flying in the park. It is amazing how many cities have ordinances in place that prohibit flying in parks, exactly for the reason described.

Try making nice, instead of joining the guy in the ranks of the idiots of the world. Amazingly, this big ol planet wasn't put here for the enjoyment of bunch of inconsiderate jerks. Flyers like "Buzzmaster" and those who support him, constantly cause the loss of flying sites and ill will from the communities we must fly in.

Join the AMA and follow the rules established for safe and enjoyable flying. A flying site in Alb, NM was recently lost because of non AMA flyers who didn't abide by the agreement between the city and a local club. Now, the soccer players have free reign and the flyers must look elsewhere.
culiv is offline Find More Posts by culiv
Last edited by culiv; May 12, 2002 at 08:32 PM.