HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 12, 2002, 12:29 PM
Joined Jan 2002
104 Posts
@!#$ Stripped mini servo screw!!!!

I tried to remove a control arm from a new Hitec (blue?) mini
servo and I could not get it off and I stripped the head. Do they
put these things on with an air hammer!!!!Sigh...

Anyway, I suppose I will need to drill the head off the screw but I
am afraid that there will not be enough screw left to get a hold of...any suggestions?

In retrospect, I guess something like the screw driver found in an eye glass repair kit is the proper tool for the job, I originally used a jewelers screw driver but it would not budge...started to turn the servo arm which is probably not good for the gear train...

Any hints or help would be greatly appreciated, I'm sure I'm not the only one who has buggered up one the puppies before...then again

Thanks,

Mark
WrongwayFeldman is offline Find More Posts by WrongwayFeldman
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2002, 01:12 PM
Agra, Oklahoma
Joined Feb 2000
5,390 Posts
Use a it that is about the same diameter as the head of the screw. You want to drill just enough so that the head can be pulled off. Once the servo arm is off, there should be enough of the screw protruding to grab it with a pair of small diagonal cutters and unscrew it. The diagonal cutters get a better grip on a smaller area than pliers.

Radio Shack has a set of small screwdrivers that seem to work well. The small ones seem to fit best, but then you have no grip, so use a pair of pliers to turn the screwdriver while holding the servo arm to prevent it from turning (you need 3 hands to do this though -).

Good luck!

Steve McBride
Steve McBride is offline Find More Posts by Steve McBride
Old May 12, 2002, 03:20 PM
United States, MA, Chelmsford
Joined Jul 2000
3,469 Posts
Its happen to me on 3 - 55 servos until my LHS sold a great tiny phillips head that they use on electric cars. The head is a different material and its the best tool for 55.

Having said that the best wayI found since I don't want to drill is to take a sharp blade #11 say and cut away the arm next to the screw..you will be able to get a needlenose and grab and turn the #$5@ screw. It works.
Ralph A. D'Amelio is offline Find More Posts by Ralph A. D'Amelio
Old May 12, 2002, 06:54 PM
Joined Jan 2002
104 Posts
Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the replys guys, guess I'm not the only one that stripped these before...it would be nice if someone came across some miniature allen head screws for these as an after market replacement I suppose...I should thumb through my McMaster-Carr catalog to see what's available.

Thanks again...think spring and calm winds!

Mark
WrongwayFeldman is offline Find More Posts by WrongwayFeldman
Old May 12, 2002, 07:17 PM
Los Gatos, CA
Joined Apr 2001
185 Posts
Hitec support is really good and they have fast turnaround. They'll repair broken stuff for cheap.

-ZZ
ZAGIZAGI is offline Find More Posts by ZAGIZAGI