Old Sep 24, 2005, 09:16 AM
Supersonic hover
Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
1,043 Posts
Discussion
Grumman F-9F Panther for EDF-40

UPDATE 7-18-06: plans & build manual are attached below in .PDF format

Just got back from the successful first flight of my little nano-Panther. This was a model I designed in my free time while in Japan recently on an extended business trip - it was nice to get it in the air after a lot of daydreaming.

It's a kind of "profile plus" model with simple covers that hide the gear and give it a more three dimensional look.

Specs are:

WS 22"
AUW 4.7 oz.
EDF-40 with 5800kv Feigao
TP 3S 730 pack
CC Phoenix 10
4 ch Berg & Blue Bird servos, AET control

Took six (!) agonizing test flights to get the CG right, it was really tailheavy at first and I'm surprised it held up as well as it did. Damage at the end of the session was confined to a slightly crunched nose and a few weed-whacks.

Once the CG was right it flew really well, although roll stability was less than I'm used too. I took out the dihedral of the original for simplicity's sake and that might be the reason. I also want to try mounting the battery on the underside to see if that helps.

Next version will incorporate all the tweaks, and then plans will be along eventually.

-Matt
Esprit440 is offline Find More Posts by Esprit440
Last edited by Esprit440; Jul 18, 2006 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Attached .PDF file
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2005, 09:19 AM
2014 EDF JET JAM We be Jamming
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,780 Posts
Hey!

Slick....good job.
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old Sep 24, 2005, 12:49 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,315 Posts
Wow..what a neat little plane! What are the construction materials? Looks easy to enlarge for other size fans, also. I've got a few KY fans hanging around doing nothing.

Steve
St. Martin is online now Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Sep 24, 2005, 01:06 PM
2014 EDF JET JAM We be Jamming
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,780 Posts
Gregg F did one a while ago with a stock motor and fan fold.
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old Sep 24, 2005, 01:35 PM
Watts your motivation
San Bernardino, CA
Joined Aug 2003
6,512 Posts
How cute! Could somebody bang out a kit like FTM does?

Justin
roccobro is offline Find More Posts by roccobro
Old Sep 24, 2005, 01:39 PM
Col.Hooligan Air Force
Phoenix,Arizona
Joined Jul 2001
1,205 Posts
Matt
Outstanding!!! Like the way you cleaned up the airframe.
Semper Fi
Joe
uncljoe is offline Find More Posts by uncljoe
Old Sep 24, 2005, 02:17 PM
Supersonic hover
Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
1,043 Posts
The fanfold version from Gregg looks nice - we took a pretty similar approach to the component layout too.

I wanted to keep the fan hidden under the covers (which have a subtle "S" bend in side view that adds a lot of shape), and also locate is far rearward as possible for better performance.

Airflow from the fan blows back over the cross-shaped fuselage, which negates almost all of the torque effects from the overwhelmed stators in the EDF-40. This was a huge problem on my disastrous Su-27!

Materials are 3mm depron, with 1mm depron used for the fuselage covers. 2mm carbon rod for reinforcement, fiberglass tape for edge protection.

Still wondering about the elevator servo, mine sits right next to the fan and connects to the elevator with a wire pushrod. Seems to be the simplest way right now.

Scaling up - I have an ancient but unused EDF-75 on my shelf that would be just right for a 200% version. Thrust is probably less than the brushless EDF-40 though!

Plans will come but I want to build a second version to get everything just right - more test flying tomorrow I hope.

-Matt
Old Sep 24, 2005, 02:35 PM
Model Designer
United Kingdom, England, Burnley
Joined Apr 2001
5,495 Posts
That is SMART... !

Keven.
keven64 is offline Find More Posts by keven64
Old Sep 24, 2005, 05:12 PM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
Job well done!
Haldor is offline Find More Posts by Haldor
Old Sep 24, 2005, 06:11 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,315 Posts
Matt, I'm curious as to whether the exposed carbon rod, if moved to the top of the wing, might help performance? If in the correct place, might act as a "turbulator" and enhance performance? As a young boy(please don't ask when..) I made a lot of HLG's. A trick to improve performance, was to glue three lengths of heavy fishing mono in the first 1/3 of the chord, on the top surface.

Again, one neat little plane!

Steve
Old Sep 24, 2005, 06:32 PM
Watts your motivation
San Bernardino, CA
Joined Aug 2003
6,512 Posts
Steve, I meant to say it is nice to see you back. I couldn't tell you before because the thread was closed.

BTW, how long ago was that?

Justin
roccobro is offline Find More Posts by roccobro
Old Sep 24, 2005, 06:46 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,315 Posts
Hi Justin! Not too long this time, my friend. In fact, the shortest "cooling off period" yet! I'll PM you. No need to take this thread off topic, on Matt fine efforts(smile)

Steve
Old Sep 25, 2005, 11:58 AM
Supersonic hover
Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
1,043 Posts
Second day of flying went really, really well right up to the part where I drilled the model into the ground!

CG was right on this time and it was a dream to fly, really fast and maneuverable. The fuselage makes a cool whooshing noise at high speed. Got in trouble doing consecutive rolls, it slowly nosed over and I botched the pullout. Ugh.

Damage isn't so bad but I will just strip the gear out for the next one. I'm eager to fly this design some more!

-Matt
Last edited by Esprit440; Sep 25, 2005 at 12:00 PM. Reason: speeling
Old Sep 25, 2005, 12:38 PM
Let er Rip
Long Island, NY
Joined Oct 2003
3,111 Posts
Matt,

Bummer mate, nice job on the Panther, waiting on the plans. Looks like it might be less expensive to get one together as opposed to the Aeronaut Panther.....

Jim
Pilot44 is offline Find More Posts by Pilot44
Old Sep 25, 2005, 12:44 PM
Col.Hooligan Air Force
Phoenix,Arizona
Joined Jul 2001
1,205 Posts
Matt
Look at all you learned with the "prototype". it also appears all the hardware survived for future developements on the next Panther.
Semper Fi
Joe
uncljoe is offline Find More Posts by uncljoe