HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 22, 2005, 08:35 PM
Henderson, Nevada
Joined Mar 2000
435 Posts
Blade glitching possibly due to cell phone?

Over my last 3 flights my Blade has started to exhibit a new behavior. When I am hovering it will suddenly for a split second seem as though the power to the motor is interrupted. What results is that the Blade drops about 6 inches and rotates sharply to one side, can't remember which. I am assuming this is what people are talking about when they say they are experiencing glitching.

My Blade it totally stock, down to the original location of the antenna on the skids and the stock battery. At first I was thinking it may be a symptom of some sort of malfunction then I read in another post a guy saying that cell phones near your heli can cause serious glitching especially when they ring.

Well here is the interesting part. For the last 3 flights (ever since the glitching seems to have appeared to the best of my recollection)I have had my cell phone on and sitting about 5-10 feet from me while I fly because I am using the stop watch function that it has to time the stock NIMH pack. Even though the phone was not being actively used to place calls it was on with the stop watch running, could this be the source of my newfound glitching? Is it possible that the phone in its communications with its network for whatever reason is causing my Blade to glitch? Do cell phones have data coming and going even if no call is currently occurring? Tomorrow I will fly a pack with the cell phone off and put away to test it out. But it seems to be the only thing at all that has changed about my setup.

Any advice would be great including a better way to route the Blade antenna if that is something I should do.

docprego
docprego is offline Find More Posts by docprego
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2005, 12:01 AM
unRegistered heli abUser
Tulsa, OK
Joined Jul 2005
50 Posts
Yes, cell phones do have network communications going when turned on.

Please do report back on your experiment's results.
cinnamon is offline Find More Posts by cinnamon
Old Sep 23, 2005, 12:35 AM
Phoenix, Arizona
Joined Jan 2005
665 Posts
I turned my TX for my blade near my TV and it interfered with the TV signal?
skip63 is offline Find More Posts by skip63
Old Sep 23, 2005, 12:38 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2003
4,747 Posts
If your tx starts ringing, duck ! .

I had my eco 8 take off on me inside once ,at 3am in the morining, was working with it on and had a portable phone within 1 foot, i guess it recieved some info from the base unit and said "take off, destroy and mutilate owner".
will p3 is offline Find More Posts by will p3
Old Sep 23, 2005, 01:14 AM
Henderson, Nevada
Joined Mar 2000
435 Posts
I suspect that the results will be that my Blade returns to normal. It had never glitched before and as I said nothing else has changed.
Old Sep 23, 2005, 01:29 AM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,799 Posts
Sure wouldn't hurt to unwrap the antenna.

FB
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Sep 23, 2005, 07:01 AM
Sunday Flier
Sweden
Joined May 2005
1,488 Posts
What Fred said. These antennas need to be as straight as possible to work correctly, and preferably parallel to the tx antenna (though this obviously isn't usually possible while flying).
Rickenbacker is offline Find More Posts by Rickenbacker
Old Sep 23, 2005, 07:55 AM
Mount Joy, PA
Joined Oct 2004
254 Posts
I believe that computer wireless networks could also pose a problem. (probably not in this instance )

I have started using a frequency scanner to monitor channel activity at home. Channel 36 and 37 show activity about 1/2 the time I run the scanner. Thy only thing I know actively transmitting radio signals in my house would be my wireless network.

Needless to say. I will never purchase a rx/tx that uses channel 36 or 37.

In the case of the stock Blade. The antenna wrapped around the skid legs is a bad idea.

Never point your TX antenna in the direction of the RX. Radio waves radiate from the entire length of your TX antenna. Almost nothing out the end.
nregjeb is offline Find More Posts by nregjeb
Old Sep 23, 2005, 08:23 AM
Tampa Bay, FL
Joined Jan 2005
29 Posts
Cell phones seem to have a high power signal negotiation with the network on a periodic basis AND when receiving calls. I use a pair of noise canceling headphones at work and get a harsh bit of static just (0.5 seconds) before my cell phone rings!
So leave your phone in the toolbox when flying!
rherring is offline Find More Posts by rherring
Old Sep 23, 2005, 06:37 PM
Henderson, Nevada
Joined Mar 2000
435 Posts
Dissapointed to say that the winds here in Las Vegas are far too great to fly today. The Blade cell phone test will have to wait for another day!
Old Sep 23, 2005, 07:50 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Joined Jan 2005
665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by docprego
Dissapointed to say that the winds here in Las Vegas are far too great to fly today. The Blade cell phone test will have to wait for another day!
I HATE wind! ing wind
skip63 is offline Find More Posts by skip63
Old Sep 23, 2005, 08:13 PM
Sink stinks
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2005
4,523 Posts
Don't cell phones operate on a completely different frequency than RC radios? I mean, like not even close?
Montag DP is offline Find More Posts by Montag DP
Old Sep 23, 2005, 10:30 PM
Its all fun
Australia, NSW, Forster
Joined Oct 2004
7,155 Posts
This is another one of those red herrings (no offence rherring ), just like the huge risk of a mobile phone causing a petrol station to explode - as far as I am aware, there are no recorded instances of that happening. One UK magazine carried out lots of tests with a mobile phone virtually strapped to the Tx, with no issues seen.

I would be way more likely to put the blame on other sources of interference in the area you were flying, but I would love to hear from anyone who has been able to scientifically prove a mobile phone can cause R/C glitches.

Another more likely scenario is that your motor commutator and/or brushes are dirty. I had this exact same symptom, which I was able to temporarily cure by giving the motor a good clean with a motor cleaning spray, but the only proper cure is a new motor. How long have you had that motor?
Tonystott is online now Find More Posts by Tonystott
Old Sep 23, 2005, 10:33 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2003
4,747 Posts
My mobile makes my computer glitch???.
will p3 is offline Find More Posts by will p3
Old Sep 23, 2005, 11:15 PM
Stow, MA
Joined Mar 2002
1,027 Posts
I'd be surprised if you can demonstrate a cell phone interfering with an RC radio. Cell phones in the US operate at 900 MHz or 1.8 GHz. Wireless computer networks are at 2.4 GHz. None of these are even close to the 72MHz R/C channels. The paging/ring tones etc. for cell phones are in the same frequency range that the phones communicate in.

It is theoretically possible to "flood" a receiver front end with enough RF power that it can not effectivel demodulate the signal ... but I don't think that is likely/possible with a cell phone and R/C frequencies.

If you can set up an experiment to prove cell phone interference with an R/C radio I'd love to see the results.

The one thing I have read that seems reasonable is a cell phone stored next to a computer R/C radio "erasing" some of the programmed settings in the radio.

Carl
cfossa is offline Find More Posts by cfossa