HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 24, 2001, 07:53 AM
Formerly of mcba fame
Luxembourg
Joined Apr 2001
3,007 Posts
GWS 2amp speed controller - no. of servos?

How many servos can you use with a GWS 2amp speed contrtoller? (ICS-50)

I'm hoping to put flaps on my Starlite but I'll need another servo.
Matthew Allen is offline Find More Posts by Matthew Allen
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2001, 10:55 PM
ny
Joined Dec 2000
1,270 Posts
The Speed control has nothing to do with how many servos you use it also is a servo. If you reciver is four channel go for it. All you will lose is some flight time because of the other servo.

[This message has been edited by russ6421 (edited 06-24-2001).]
russ6421 is offline Find More Posts by russ6421
Old Jun 24, 2001, 11:06 PM
Zebulon, NC
Joined Aug 2000
5,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by russ6421:
The Speed control has nothing to do with how many servos you use it also is a servo. If you reciver is four channel go for it. All you will lose is some flight time because of the other servo.

[This message has been edited by russ6421 (edited 06-24-2001).]

Of course it does if you are using BEC!.
I don't know how many servos the BEC on it is rated for but I wanted to let you know that there is a limit to it, how many are you using now? I would guess it to be 2 maybe 3 at the most but I dont know for sure.
Steve H. is offline Find More Posts by Steve H.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 25, 2001, 09:35 AM
Sticky Shepherd
Oxford/England
Joined May 2001
4,017 Posts
Borrow/buy a servo and try it (on the ground) is one way to find out.
I think the current rating of the bec is marked on the speedcontroller somewhere divide this by the current draw you expect from your servos and that will give you the number. Or email GWS. The email address is on the box.

Graham
Graham Stabler is offline Find More Posts by Graham Stabler
Old Jun 25, 2001, 10:25 AM
Formerly of mcba fame
Luxembourg
Joined Apr 2001
3,007 Posts
Thanks. I'm using two servos with a Jeti 050B and this can definitely only work work two servos. The reason that I asked about the GWS controller is that my dad already has one in his Pico stick.
Matthew Allen is offline Find More Posts by Matthew Allen
Old Jul 08, 2001, 11:13 PM
St. Paul, MN USA
Joined Jul 2001
1 Posts
If you are using the GWS Pico servos, 2 is definitely the limit. There was a post here a while ago about the current drain the GWS servos put on the BEC. The bottom line was that simultaneous motion of two servos can come really close to exceeding the rated power of the BEC in the GWS 2 AMP ESC.

Switching to an ECS with a higher-power rated BEC solved a lot of glitching problems with my GWS receiver.
ejaytee is offline Find More Posts by ejaytee
Old Jul 12, 2001, 04:24 PM
Isle of Wight, UK
Joined Jun 2001
212 Posts
Interested to read that, EJT. I have been having range/glitching problems with my GWS Pico Rx, and that uses the 2A ESC. I did try measuring the voltage to the Rx under load, and it was a steady 5V, but it's difficult to simulate all conditions. The range reduces noticeably when the motor is running, which I thought was electrical noise, but I still think the ESC has a bearing on it.

[This message has been edited by alterego (edited 07-12-2001).]
alterego is offline Find More Posts by alterego
Old Jul 13, 2001, 10:21 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,432 Posts
I concur with the advise above that it can only handle two servos. BTW the Astroflight 010 with the original on/off BEC control can only handle two servos as well. I discovered that after making a mini electric glider using three servos. Had to switch motors and speed controller or buy a seperate brushless speed controller for $129.00 at the time. Mike Heer
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member