HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 11, 2002, 12:54 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Post Your Corona Building Pics

Well, my Corona kit is coming together and starting to look like a helicopter :-)

I spent a whole day on smoothing out any binding or friction down to the best I could get it. I will just have to see when I flight test. Right after this pic was taken I mounted the main gear and set the mesh. I started to do some soldering, but my iron is craping out, so I'll be stopping by Radioshack tomorrow to get a new tip or a better one.

This is fun stuff!

cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2002, 12:56 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Earlier this week....
Old May 11, 2002, 12:57 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
The pic...
Old May 11, 2002, 01:01 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Heres what comes in the box....
Old May 11, 2002, 01:04 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
the naked crutch...
Old May 11, 2002, 01:18 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Tail Plastic tubing mod... I used three pieces between the bushings and the ends. Got it at the local hardware store for 75 cents....
Old May 11, 2002, 01:48 AM
Powered by ThunderPower
United States, FL, Cocoa
Joined Sep 2001
4,197 Posts
Hey that's really nice work you're doing there.

Keep the pics coming!! This is the only way for us to get familiar with all the e-helicopters out there.

Chachin..
Chachin is offline Find More Posts by Chachin
Old May 11, 2002, 02:10 AM
Buena Park Ca
Joined Jul 2001
341 Posts
My atomic force died today after about 40 flights..brushes were gone.......I tried a Monsters of Touring 13 turn motor that I had and it flew great for about 5 minutes then just stopped in the air
(luckily I was landing)dropped from about 5 feet,no damage,but it got so hot that one of my motor leads came unsoldered,so tommorow im trying a 19 or 17 turn Monsters of touring motor ,these are cheap at hobbypeople $18.99.......will let you know how it works out......40 flights on a $20 motor is not to bad really but they are so hard to get ,........
gliderdude is offline Find More Posts by gliderdude
Old May 11, 2002, 06:26 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Thanks Chachin, I am having fun building. I picked up a 40 whatt soldering iron today, so I can get some more done this weekend.

gliderdude, sorry to hear about the AT going out on you. What do you think the problem is? Are you using the Castle Pegasus 35 aand a heat sink? That does not sound consistant with Tom's AT. Can the brushes be replaced on this motor? Is heat causing these to go out quicker....I wonder

I fly my Tiger Moth this morning (3 mins) and 3 packs on the Partenavia this afternoon. It was windy today but not too much for the KP! The moth will have to wait till late tonight....
Last edited by cactus; May 11, 2002 at 06:50 PM.
Old May 11, 2002, 10:41 PM
Buena Park Ca
Joined Jul 2001
341 Posts
I have the pegasus from castle and run a heatsink.....Mine never ran hot .......only thing I can think of is that I never broke the motor in properly,just pulled it out of the package and oiled it and stuck it in.......never messed with the timing either.......actually in all reality 40 - 10 minute flights on a brushed motor is not bad.....
Thats 6 hours and 40 minutes of flight time,im really satisfied with that........you can change brushes,but its better to turn the comm first.......overall im happy with it,I have ordered another one......in the meantime im using my 17 turn Monster of touring motor with ok results..........though after my last flight it was pretty hot.....
Old May 12, 2002, 11:42 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
gliderdude, how did you oil yours? Did you take the sicker off before putting the heatsink on? Others did not break this motor in.... wondering if I need to? I don't understand timing and I'm not sure I know what to look for on mine. Here is a pic I took just now showing the way it came out of the box....
Old May 13, 2002, 02:42 AM
Buena Park Ca
Joined Jul 2001
341 Posts
yes my timing is the same as yours.......no I did not take the sticker off,maybe I should.I put a drop of oil on top and bottom bearings.........your corona is coming along nicely,bet you can't wait to try it out......
Old May 13, 2002, 05:09 AM
Joined Nov 2001
1,491 Posts
My AF died last night, after 389 flights, one thread broke. The crash was spectecular! From 10m in full spead the rotor just stopped spinning, my Corona dived straight in the ground, bounced 3 times up and down, then finally stopped.

The AF is going to be replaced today, and what happend to the rest? NOTHING!!! Well, allright, the skids got bent... fixed that in 5 secs....
Tom Viper is offline Find More Posts by Tom Viper
Old May 13, 2002, 07:21 AM
Buena Park Ca
Joined Jul 2001
341 Posts
Tom how many sets of brushes did you go through?Yea these coronas are tough,glad to see that yours came through OK.
Old May 13, 2002, 07:55 AM
Joined Nov 2001
1,491 Posts
I went thrue 3 sets, but i changed them more for "service".
Tom Viper is offline Find More Posts by Tom Viper