SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 10, 2002, 03:02 PM
Naperville, IL USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,886 Posts
Q&EFI Human Sloper Picture

First off, I'm not a sloper - living in the flat-lands of Illinois as I do. (But, I am hoping to get a taste of it soon.) So, please forgive this question if it comes across as dumb. But ....

In the last Q&EFI there was a report from a sloping event, and in the article was what appeared to be a picture of a person hanging in the slope lift without any aid other than his body and the wind.
I'm wondering if it was a joke (i.e. the picture is actually of someone jumping in the air and subsequently falling to earth), or if is real (that person was actually suspended in the mid-air).

Thanks,

Mitch
Mitch G is offline Find More Posts by Mitch G
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2002, 04:05 PM
David Cairns
Orange, CA
Joined Apr 2002
1,095 Posts
Well, sometimes you wind is strong enough it feels like that can happen, but in this case, he was jumping. Just think about the size of hang gliders needed to keep a human in the air, on some of the very same slopes.

On the other hand, give someone a 4 meter plane and stand on the edge of the cliff at Point Fermin... naah, I wouldn't want to explain that one to the police
dcairns is offline Find More Posts by dcairns
Old May 10, 2002, 04:34 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
that's what I refer to as slope valhalla... that orgasmic point where there is sufficient lift to hold anything in the air: you throw a rock and it keeps on going, turns around, and goes back over your head. Push your honda off the edge and it ends up at the top of a 40' cedar behind you. I might even consider flying my 1.20 sized CG Extra 300 at that point
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter