HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 18, 2005, 10:44 PM
David Cairns
Orange, CA
Joined Apr 2002
1,095 Posts
2005 PSS Fest covered in Model Airplane News

The November issue of Model Airplane News has an article on the 2005 PSS Fest. I guess it is not on the news stands yet, but a friend who subscribes got his November issue yesterday, and there is an article on the 2005 PSS Fest by Dave Garwood. It is great to see the PSS Fest getting some national exposure. I am going to have to get me a few copies, as there are a few pics of my B-52 in there.

As a kid, I used to subscribe to Model Airplane News and dreamed about building cool planes like they had in the magazine... now I have one of my planes in the magazine
dcairns is offline Find More Posts by dcairns
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2005, 11:09 PM
MINE!
Australia, VIC, Point Cook
Joined Jul 2003
3,202 Posts
Congrats...

Its a bit of a thrill to see yourself and or your planes in a mag....

I have been in a few times but always a group shot..

Has the Buff been out again recently??
Mick Molloy is offline Find More Posts by Mick Molloy
Old Sep 18, 2005, 11:34 PM
Joined Apr 2005
597 Posts
NICE i will have to buy that one
Drew360 is offline Find More Posts by Drew360
Old Sep 19, 2005, 01:41 PM
David Cairns
Orange, CA
Joined Apr 2002
1,095 Posts
Brian Laird's ME-262 was featrued too, as well as some others I can't recall off the top of my head.
dcairns is offline Find More Posts by dcairns
Old Sep 19, 2005, 01:45 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,762 Posts
They had an article the year before last, too, I believe... I think that Dave Garwood makes it a point to be there and write about it...

T
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Sep 19, 2005, 01:48 PM
Vitruvian JART
San Francisco
Joined Mar 2003
5,024 Posts
Garwheel is a great supporter of the PSS Fest, a big Fermin fan, and a very fun guy to hang around and talk toy airplanes with. When you see him next year at the PSS Fest be sure to go up and tell him your latest joke - DG loves a good joke.
Reed is offline Find More Posts by Reed
Old Sep 19, 2005, 02:44 PM
Int'l Slope Observer
Fremont, CA
Joined Oct 2001
1,887 Posts
Duh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcairns
...I am going to have to get me a few copies, as there are a few pics of my B-52 in there...
What did you expect, Mr. Cairns? Your plane was maybe three times the size of the next biggest plane there, it's incredibly beautiful, and the flying sequence was sort of "other-worldy" (so realistic). I lied - I've never heard of a real B-52 performing aileron rolls. I was delighted to get your plane on video (not digital, sorry).

Now it would have been really amazing if he would have put my little DAW Ki-61 in the magazine - hahaha

Happy Flying ;-)

John
webguyjv is offline Find More Posts by webguyjv
Old Sep 19, 2005, 02:53 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webguyjv
What did you expect, Mr. Cairns? Your plane was maybe three times the size of the next biggest plane there, it's incredibly beautiful, and the flying sequence was sort of "other-worldy" (so realistic). I lied - I've never heard of a real B-52 performing aileron rolls. I was delighted to get your plane on video (not digital, sorry).

Now it would have been really amazing if he would have put my little DAW Ki-61 in the magazine - hahaha

Happy Flying ;-)

John

Eh, John- Did you miss that BIG ME-109 that Joe Cormier brought and flew??
It also was sizable, though not the same catagory of complexity of the B-52 of David's.
Just a reminder.

T
Old Sep 19, 2005, 05:47 PM
Int'l Slope Observer
Fremont, CA
Joined Oct 2001
1,887 Posts
Size Doesn't Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by target
...Eh, John- Did you miss that BIG ME-109 that Joe Cormier brought and flew?? Just a reminder...
Yessir. Since I didn't bring my tape measure, my (senile) memory tagged that particular plane (the Me-109 with the large yellow accents -- he flew it right after the B-52 flew) as being 1/3 the size of the B-52 in question. I remember being so impressed with the size thing cuz I followed the B-52 down the path, as the two guys carried it, and I remember moving off the path as the Me-109 was being carried down. For some reason, I thought the B52 was like 3 times the size of the Me-109.

By the sound of your post, I was way off in that estimation. No matter -- I blame senility. Probably some other reason for my ineptitude, but this is the excuse du jour

Happy Flying ;-)

John
webguyjv is offline Find More Posts by webguyjv
Old Sep 19, 2005, 06:03 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,762 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the B-52 is somewhere between 10 and 12' wingspan (although swept), and around 30+ pounds. I believe the 109 was 96"-100", and like 27-28 pounds, but, hey, I could be losing my marbles too (I have HOW MANY sailplanes back there?!?!?!!).
No "biggie", both were impressive (pun intended!)....

T
Old Sep 19, 2005, 06:16 PM
Vitruvian JART
San Francisco
Joined Mar 2003
5,024 Posts
This pic should give some idea of the scale of Joe Cormier's ME-109. Target is about right on size, although I couldn't find the thread that has all that info in it.

Ah, here it is: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=349432

It's 28% so I guess you all can do the math. 28 lbs. auw.
Reed is offline Find More Posts by Reed
Last edited by Reed; Sep 20, 2005 at 09:54 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 01:07 AM
gas tires and oil
malad, idaho
Joined Dec 2004
2,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by target
They had an article the year before last, too, I believe... I think that Dave Garwood makes it a point to be there and write about it...

T
that was last year cuz when i read it i decided to attend the next one!! i was a blast and i'm coming back!
oh dave,there's a couple shots of your giant B-52. so cool! i'll bet that it feels pretty cool to see it in there. i saw my name on the awards list and made me grin! can't wait to show my mom!!!

i was surprised that there wasn't a pic of that giant ME 109.i thought for sure it'd be in there. sorry i can't remember the builder!
marty

oops,there it is right above. what a horses.....
prplgoat is online now Find More Posts by prplgoat
Old Sep 20, 2005, 01:37 AM
Free as a bird now.
United States, FL, Punta Gorda
Joined May 2002
6,666 Posts
If there's a list of award winners, I should be on it. I guess I'm gonna have to buy that magazine!

Garwheel mentioned my name in the Fermin article for MA too, so
that should be two magazines in a month for me.
I'm practicaly famous!
Brian Courtice is online now Find More Posts by Brian Courtice
Old Sep 20, 2005, 09:45 PM
gas tires and oil
malad, idaho
Joined Dec 2004
2,454 Posts
i can't believe your not a subscriber brian! it is a great read usually.
also you had better get a couple copies cuz there is a great shot of your rtf mustang in there!! i'm so jealous,you get all the neat stuff.
marty
prplgoat is online now Find More Posts by prplgoat
Old Sep 21, 2005, 12:12 AM
Free as a bird now.
United States, FL, Punta Gorda
Joined May 2002
6,666 Posts
I used to read all of the R/C magazines every month, but now I only pick one up occasionaly. I get way more good slope content right here everyday.

The mags are usualy a week or so late arriving here, but I'll be keeping an eye out for this one.
Brian Courtice is online now Find More Posts by Brian Courtice