Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 10, 2002, 07:09 AM
Harrisburg,PA
Joined Jan 2001
97 Posts
Who has the biggest electric flying wing or what is the biggest?

I am getting my interest back into getting a huge electric flying soon going. What is the biggest or who has the biggest. I had a friend that has a foam cutting machine cut me and another guy the cores for a 16" Zagi but neither of us starting it yet? I am thinking about putting it together this summer. Just want to get some info about big wings and the setups and maybe the pics. I am planning on using 4 geared endos with 12x8 props on 20cells.
Should be interesting!
Rob R is offline Find More Posts by Rob R
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2002, 07:12 AM
Private Pilot, M20J Owner
Lake Dallas, Texas
Joined Apr 2002
86 Posts
I assume you mean 16' and not 16"?

Please take pictures and let us know about a flight report. I think a 16' (if that's correct) flying wing should be pretty impressive moving through the air.
ThunderChicken is offline Find More Posts by ThunderChicken
Old May 10, 2002, 08:09 AM
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
7,796 Posts
There was a group in Sweden, I think, that had the 16' version flying well. They posted pictures here last year but my initial attempts to search for it failed.
Greg Covey is offline Find More Posts by Greg Covey
Old May 10, 2002, 09:01 AM
Kings Park, New York, USA
Joined Sep 2001
813 Posts
NASA

I forget thedimensions, but the solar powered flying wing NASA has to fly real real high has a span probably way over 50 feet.

Ron Parigoris
rparigoris is offline Find More Posts by rparigoris
Old May 10, 2002, 09:31 AM
God is good
Banjul
Joined Jan 2001
4,246 Posts
Can you really hand-launch a 16 foot flying wing??? Bet you use motorcycle batteries, Huh??

VP
Viper Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Viper Pilot
Old May 10, 2002, 10:10 AM
Kings Park, New York, USA
Joined Sep 2001
813 Posts
Only 12 feet, but oh what a 12 feet!

Only 12 feet, but oh what a 12 feet!

http://www.ivic.net/~spider/dale.html

Ron Parigoris
rparigoris is offline Find More Posts by rparigoris
Old May 10, 2002, 10:26 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Oct 2001
1,010 Posts
Here is my 12' wing under construction.
corey is offline Find More Posts by corey
Old May 10, 2002, 10:54 AM
Golden, CO
Joined May 2002
27 Posts
Wow! Considering that's on your toe, you must be pushing 7' yourself!

-will
Caffiend is offline Find More Posts by Caffiend
Old May 10, 2002, 11:03 AM
Harrisburg,PA
Joined Jan 2001
97 Posts
Yes 16' Feet flying wing, typo error. I'll be putting it together in about a month or so. It should be able to hand launch easy with the 4 endoplasma motors and the wing area of about 7000sq in.
Old May 10, 2002, 11:39 AM
God is good
Banjul
Joined Jan 2001
4,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob R
Yes 16' Feet flying wing, typo error. I'll be putting it together in about a month or so. It should be able to hand launch easy with the 4 endoplasma motors and the wing area of about 7000sq in.
Rob,

Tell us more!!! What battery pack?? AUW?? etc.

VP
Viper Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Viper Pilot
Old May 10, 2002, 12:32 PM
Harrisburg,PA
Joined Jan 2001
97 Posts
The finished weight of the plane with everything installed should come out at around 10-12lbs. I am going to be using 1 battery pack for every two motors. I'm using (2) 10x1700CP for it.
Ryan Nau is also going to be doing this project. He got the foam cores for it when I bought mine. So they'll be two of them. Formation would be neat!
Old May 10, 2002, 12:42 PM
Tork it or Dork it
Elizabethville,PA USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,198 Posts
Yep, I got the cores to it and hopefully will soon get it together and started, I've been working on to much other stuff lately, but I hope to have it flying by mid summer.
There is 6 total pieces to the wing that you have to glue together to make it a wing. I'm going to have it that it will come in three pieces. One middle section where the motors, escs, battery packs, etc will be, and the two outboard wings. But like giant scale planes there is going to be a rod running through the center sections and then have it connect to the out board section like a giant scale, so It'll fit in the back of the truck. I am planning on using two standard size servos for each elevon.
I wanted to use Endos for this project, but it might be a problem. What battery packs cells can handle the amps of two endos? I'll probably use 4 Magnetic mayhems and endos is possible on 20cells using the E3D gearbox and 12x8 props.
What is the thrust difference from and endo and a magnetic mayhem with the E3D gearbox and 10cells. I'm using 10x2400CP pack probably. I guess you use a y connector for dual speed controls?? I am planning on covering it like the tradional red, white, and blue tape sceme, like my new wedgie has.
Ryan Nau is offline Find More Posts by Ryan Nau
Old May 10, 2002, 02:42 PM
Schipperskerk, The Netherlands
Joined Dec 2001
374 Posts
One of my clubmembers has build 2 Horten flying wings with electric engines. He has build them on a pretty big scale I believe 1:5 His last project was the Horten 9 with 2 AMT turbines. Pictures of this model are on www.amtjets.com The model before this was a Westland Peterodactyl A big flying wing with a wingspan of about 4 meters and a AUW of 20 kilo's with just one electric engine made by Plettenberg model Dino powered by 60 nicads. As soon as i find some pictures of these models i will post them. They are not made of foam so it does not belong here............
Theo coenen is offline Find More Posts by Theo coenen
Last edited by Theo coenen; May 10, 2002 at 03:35 PM.
Old May 10, 2002, 02:52 PM
New jersey
Joined Mar 2002
79 Posts
Quote:
Can you really hand-launch a 16 foot flying wing??? Bet you use motorcycle batteries, Huh??
Looks like you need a guy ON motorcycle to launch it.
Mr Hat is offline Find More Posts by Mr Hat
Old May 10, 2002, 03:42 PM
Tork it or Dork it
Elizabethville,PA USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,198 Posts
Corey, what are you going to use to power your big wing?
For just one wing on the 16' Zagi, and Astro Geared 90 might do very well with about a 36Cell pack? Would it work? Still trying to decide what setup to use to make this thing work well.
Ryan Nau is offline Find More Posts by Ryan Nau