HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 17, 2005, 01:58 PM
Joined Apr 2005
206 Posts
And yes, I did balance the prop but the whole plane vibrates now. I took off the prop adapter and put on a prop adapter instead but its still there.

I flew the plane this morning and it seemed like I had lost a little performance. Kinda like I was flying with a brushed motor again. However, the motor, esc and battery were all cool. It was 47 degrees outside though so that was working to my advantage.
xray328 is offline Find More Posts by xray328
Last edited by xray328; Sep 17, 2005 at 02:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2005, 02:00 PM
Joined Apr 2005
206 Posts
BTW, I'll gladly take the point .
Old Sep 17, 2005, 02:31 PM
Joined Apr 2005
206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron H
Yes. If it won't turn, it's damaged. Thanks for yet another useless thread.

Hey, btw, this isn't seen as a "personal attack?"
Old Sep 17, 2005, 03:49 PM
Flying motor mount master
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
xray-

Not to defend anyone but if you stick around for 2000 posts of your own you will quickly see thousands of threads just like this one. It will miff you a little bit and quickly you will pick and choose what you want to read. Almost like reading a newspaper nowadays.

Which brings me to a great new idea for message boards!!! If you filtered posts based on how many posts people saw then you might have something more suited to their reading style.

For example, once you reach the 1000 posts mark you get to see folks who have posts between 1000 and 2000 or somthing like that and so on. That way you don't see all the same I wish they read the FAQ questions over and over again.

Just a little enlightenment,
fb
fly_boy99 is offline Find More Posts by fly_boy99
Old Sep 17, 2005, 04:06 PM
Joined Apr 2005
206 Posts
I can totally understand that and agree with you. It was just an unwanted and unnecessary reply.
Old Sep 17, 2005, 04:13 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined May 2004
2,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray328
Hey, btw, this isn't seen as a "personal attack?"
xray328,

It's not a personal attack. Maybe it could be voiced better, but its probably what most of the experienced people are thinking. If he didn't say it, you would just never know right? I mean if you can't tell the difference, between that and what you wrote, there isn't much hope. The curse word kind of gives it away don't you think?

By the way, I was the one to give you the only real advice in that last thread. Mainly because the few newbies that responded don't really know, and so I took my time to help. And when I see you starting another thread with no response in the first thread, people like me are not going to keep responding. I mean I don't take this stuff personally, but as in life I choose who my friends are.

I think you should be a little less defensive until you figure out how things work around here.

-Kwok
Kwok_Yu is offline Find More Posts by Kwok_Yu
Old Sep 17, 2005, 05:33 PM
Joined Apr 2005
206 Posts
Matbe you should reread the post:

I was trying to inspect my outrunner due to this gritty sound it was making but I was having a hard time getting it apart.

In the process I may have put too much pressure on the outside with the pliers. How do I know if I damaged the motor?

I'm thinking that if the motor was compressed the magnets may be too close together and possibly rubbing. I would imagine that would create a serious amperage issue. It sounds ok, at least that gritty sound is gone and it seems to spin ok. Besides just not running the motor how can I tell for sure?

See the "In the process" line? I was in the process of trying to fix this like I was told by you guys in that other post you are referring to. In that process it may have been further damaged, it was that further damage I was asking about in this new thread. They ARE NOT the same post as I've already stated.

In one I was asking about a gritty sound in the motor, in this one I was asking about possibly having compressed the can while attempting to inspect the magnets.

The big problem I had was that I was was told that this was a useless thread, and for that I called the guy a certain term which perhaps I shouldn't have. Regardless I feel that he was acting inappropriately.

How can you honestly say that my asking a question deserves that response?

BTW, your response although the most helpful come about 5 minutes after the damage occured.

There were however a few people in this thread who did offer thier advice such as that it would most likely be fine as long as it turned freely.
Old Sep 17, 2005, 08:28 PM
Jaded Flyer
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2004
2,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_boy99
xray-
For example, once you reach the 1000 posts mark you get to see folks who have posts between 1000 and 2000 or somthing like that and so on. That way you don't see all the same I wish they read the FAQ questions over and over again.

Just a little enlightenment,
fb
This is an interesting idea but i think it may cause more problems. I have only 300 some odd posts and have asked a lot of questions along the way. If my questions were filtered out then i'd only be getting newbie responses. What i HAVE gotten on this forum is help from a LOT of experienced people. It has really helped me into this hobbie. In turn i take that same experience and help the freshly emerging newbies.

I was one of the people who suggested xray to open his motor and check his mags out. In hindsight i should have warned him against damaging the bell. Which is exactly what i did when i dissected my first cdrom motor to convert for my tigermoth. I destroyed 3 motors before getting it right. now i'm making motors left and right...well i've made 4 good motors now. well....3.5 one worked fine but had a strange way of connecting the bell and stator. The stator had a ring of plastic clips that clipped onto a insert in the bell. The motor worked fine but the friction from this ring created mad heat and melted everything. it demagged my motor.

anyway back to the original subject.

xray on some motors there is a c or e-clip on the end of the shaft to keep everything in place. Pop this off and your bell and shaft should separate easily from the stator. Do not try to take the bell off the shaft, they stay together. Now if your making your own motor or replacing a bent shaft and need to remove the shaft from the bell this method works well for me. Take the shaft/bell and place it ontop of a vice. Close the vice enough that only the shaft fits through. if it's a metal vice the magnets should hold the bell in place nicely. Now take a hammer and tap the shaft out. Be careful to keep the shaft straight so you dont enlargen the hole on the bell. Now take the new shaft and tap it in with a hammer. Then put some threadlocker or other "hold it in place real good" stuff on the shaft and bell and it should hold just fine. In some instances you can use CA but this can break easily in a crash. I use ca as a quickfix in the field if i have to.

If you have other questions just ask.
mcharles13 is online now Find More Posts by mcharles13
Old Sep 17, 2005, 08:46 PM
one game away...
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Apr 2004
3,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray328
BTW, I'll gladly take the point .
me too! nice to meet ya X.

matt
PerfectStranger is offline Find More Posts by PerfectStranger
Old Sep 17, 2005, 11:13 PM
Joined Apr 2005
206 Posts
Thanks alot! Nice to meet you guys too!
Old Sep 18, 2005, 12:00 AM
Duster52
Newport, AR
Joined Sep 2004
74 Posts
xray, just a point. The fellow who answered your last question in your last thread would have appreciated a simple "Thanks for your help" That's all. Many do not expect replies and some do. I try to help when ever there is something I know about and it helps to have the responses, whether I answered too late or not.

I don't have a lot of posts on this forum, but I have over 1,700 on another forum and more on others scattered around. The reason is that on this forum I have found a boat load of information just by searching. I do agree that it was in bad tastes to call this "another useless thread". I have found that most noobies will ask questions without bothering to do a search first. I just over look it. They usually figure it out and get the hang of things pretty soon. In the beginning I would search for hours trying to find an answer to a question with no luck. Then I would post a question and, it seemed without fail, while I was waiting for a response, I would stumble onto the answer! That happens to everyone. There is no need to put someone down.

Good flying to you
duster52 is offline Find More Posts by duster52
Old Sep 18, 2005, 12:03 AM
Joined Apr 2005
206 Posts
I usually try to do that. I tink this was just a case of unfortunate circumstances.
Old Sep 18, 2005, 12:21 AM
Duster52
Newport, AR
Joined Sep 2004
74 Posts
Hang in there. Things will be fine.

And Good luck!
duster52 is offline Find More Posts by duster52
Old Sep 18, 2005, 01:56 AM
Flying motor mount master
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
xray-

I will answer any question you have without insults now or in the future. As for the filter idea yeah I guess mcharles is right. Without the more experienced folk around the board would decline. I think a little would go along way if folks who signed up here would have to read the FAQ somehow and thus decreasing the most commonly asked questions....

happy flyin,
fb
fly_boy99 is offline Find More Posts by fly_boy99
Old Sep 18, 2005, 02:42 AM
Kilsyth, Victoria, Australia
Joined Oct 2003
1,988 Posts
Obviously I don't know how much pressure you have applied to the casing so anything here is a bit hypothetical. Most outrunners have very little clearance between the magnets/casing and the inner windings so any damaged you might have caused should show up with rubbing that you can feel or hear. You say you can't feel anythiing and the motor turns freely so we'll assume you're in luck but if you have "ovalised" the casing just a fraction this could be causing that vibration or imbalance part way through the throttle cycle. With luck, Hoppy is right and it's just the prop that's out of balance. You also have to be wary as in most instances the magnets are merely epoxied to the outer casing walls and mishandling could cause them to lose the glued adhesion and be left to rely solely on magnetic adhesion. That being the case it's possible a magnet has moved (or is moving while the motor is running) and that is causing the vibration period.
I know this can happen because I had this problem with a very early Axi and they were good enough to replace the motor. Just in case you're wondering, it wasn't my fault.
Good Luck
David Hipperson is offline Find More Posts by David Hipperson
Last edited by David Hipperson; Sep 18, 2005 at 02:48 AM.