Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 16, 2005, 11:33 PM
Joined Apr 2005
197 Posts
Can you crush an outrunner with pliers? How do I know if its damaged?

I was trying to inspect my outrunner due to this gritty sound it was making but I was having a hard time getting it apart. In the process I may have put too much pressure on the outside with the pliers. How do I know if I damaged the motor? I'm thinking that if the motor was compressed the magnets may be too close together and possibly rubbing. I would imagine that would create a serious amperage issue. It sounds ok, at least that gritty sound is gone and it seems to spin ok. Besides just not running the motor how can I tell for sure?
xray328 is offline Find More Posts by xray328
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2005, 12:02 AM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,882 Posts
Yes. If it won't turn, it's damaged. Thanks for yet another useless thread.
Ron H is offline Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Sep 17, 2005, 12:39 AM View Post
xray328
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Personal Attack. It is temporarily hidden while xray328 edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Sep 17, 2005, 12:42 AM
Joined Apr 2005
197 Posts
For the rest of you...it turns fine with no noticable friction besides the feeling of the magnets grabbing. I'm just not sure how sensitive these motors are and how much friction it would take to increase the amperage to an unsafe point.
Old Sep 17, 2005, 12:51 AM
Joined Jul 2005
429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray328
For the rest of you...it turns fine with no noticable friction besides the feeling of the magnets grabbing. I'm just not sure how sensitive these motors are and how much friction it would take to increase the amperage to an unsafe point.
If it's spinning with no noticeable rubbing besides the magnets cogging, you are probably alright. Run the motor unloaded (no prop) and see if it makes any unusual noises. If that seems ok, you should be good to go.
With some of the outrunners, getting a small ammount of dirt or sand (say if you nosed into the dirt on a ball field) can get between the stator and the magnets, making things sound gritty. A quick blast of compressed air always works well for me. If that's not available, that canned air stuff for cleaning out computers may work for you.
Just take small steps, run things as safely as possible and check them to make sure you aren't overloading anything. After running the motor unloaded for a little while shut it off, check everything to make sure the temps are within range, battery esc and motor.
koko76 is offline Find More Posts by koko76
Old Sep 17, 2005, 12:51 AM
Yep I got another one.
Springfield, Mo.
Joined Jan 2005
2,529 Posts
Quote:

If you can spin it by hand with no prop and it turns freely it should be fine. Sory for the rude people.
mohillbilly is offline Find More Posts by mohillbilly
Old Sep 17, 2005, 01:18 AM
Joined Apr 2005
197 Posts
Thanks for the help guys. It seems ok but it does have an unwelcome vibration at mid-throttle or so that seems to get better with the more throttle I give it. At WOT its bearly noticable. I have another one coming next week so I'll have to compare the two. Maybe the shaft got a little bent? I need to get some kind of amp meter in the very near future so I know for sure whats going on though. These ESC's make expensive fuses!

Again, thanks for the help.
Old Sep 17, 2005, 01:23 AM
I AP'd myself again......
Yawn....Iowa
Joined Mar 2005
2,500 Posts
xray..its getting late...time to take a break!
aviatordave is offline Find More Posts by aviatordave
Old Sep 17, 2005, 06:05 AM
Joined Apr 2005
197 Posts
no break...must fly...
Old Sep 17, 2005, 10:30 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Instead of personally attacking and being rude to anybody who doesn't answer the way you would like, maybe it would be better to follow up on the replies to your previous thread on the same subject instead of starting a new thread?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=416967

Ignoring the people trying to help you is not going to get you a lot of help in the future. I realize you are new, but rudeness does not pay off in the long run.
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Sep 17, 2005, 10:35 AM View Post
PerfectStranger
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Personal Attack. It is temporarily hidden while PerfectStranger edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Sep 17, 2005, 10:37 AM
Suspended Account
Grove City PA basement/park
Joined Feb 2005
4,884 Posts
Another common motor user error is using too long mounting screws. They will go in too far, and damage the windings, as most motors have nothing in the path to stop them. We all learn the hard way that these things are delicate. Anybody in this hobby who says they never damaged anything, is full of it. I bet there are quite a few scrapped Mabuchi motors sitting around, after gear pulls and ducted fan removal.
scratchandbash is offline Find More Posts by scratchandbash
Old Sep 17, 2005, 11:08 AM
I really should be building...
UK
Joined Sep 2004
145 Posts
personally i can relate to xray for asking what may seem a simple question, its natural to be overly cautious when you dont want to risk breaking something that is expensive, and maybe not had a lot of experience with. (i bought my first brushless and lipo a few weeks ago and enjoyed coddling it for a few nights while i was building the plane, handling it as if it were gold lol )
Spyda is offline Find More Posts by Spyda
Old Sep 17, 2005, 11:30 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,692 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the help guys. It seems ok but it does have an unwelcome vibration at mid-throttle or so that seems to get better with the more throttle I give it..
Did you balance the prop?
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Sep 17, 2005, 12:55 PM
Joined Apr 2005
197 Posts
Ok, one at a time here...

First, I didn't duplicate a post.

The post you are referring to had to do with taking the motor apart. I couldn't figure out how to get the motor open to examine the magnets. I needed to do that in order to find out what was causing the gritty sound it was making.

This post is asking if I damaged the motor in the process of taking it apart, and how to determine the extent of the damage done by possibly crushing the motor in the process.

These two are totally different topics. I can see how the blend a little but I felt that it deserved a new post. If you disagree with that I apologize.

Secondly, theres no reason for someone who has alot of experience (based on his 2,000 posts) to come in to a thread and act like I'm wasting his time, then criticize me for the post.

When I first wanted to get in this hobby over 10 years ago I ran into guys like this at the field and it made me quit all together. He deserves to get called out on this. He isn't helping the hobby by acting like he did.

I admit my reaction wasn't right either but I was totally shocked at that response.

And again, I am totally new to the brushless world and after spending what I consider alot of money on the ESC and motor I don't want to damage either. On top of that I don't want to fry the battery. I too am treating the lipo pack like gold and after seeing some of the accidents with these things I don't want to take any chances.

Thanks for those of you that understand where I'm coming from on this.

To those I offended, I apologize.

But in the end I don't think the response he gave was warranted.