SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 16, 2005, 11:59 PM
Joined Aug 2005
28 Posts
Foam Safe Glue

Just ordered my 1st RC plane...a GWS Beaver.

Question...what types of glue should I be looking for to assemble and repair my plane ??

I'm a little confused over when to use thin, or medium CA glue or epoxy.
cruisefor2 is offline Find More Posts by cruisefor2
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2005, 12:11 AM
In Development Now
Joined May 2005
448 Posts
Many CA's are not foam safe. Make sure you buy foam safe CA. The test it on a scrap piece.

I like Gorilla Glue. It is a glue you put on thin (very thin) on one side, lightly wet the other side and put together. The glue foams and expands so you need to clamp/tape/weigh the pieces together. It makes a great bond that is gap filling and lightweight.

Second I like Epoxy. It sets faster, weighs a bit more and there is more waste. The clamping is less necessary and with 5 minute glue you can just hold parts together till they semi-set.

Regular wood glue is OK.

I do not like using CA to glue foam to foam. I only use CA to assemble plastic parts or wooden parts that are next to the foam. To me CA is too brittle for foam. Some of foam durablity comes from it's elasticity. CA does not work well with that.
Indiana_Geoff is offline Find More Posts by Indiana_Geoff
Old Sep 17, 2005, 08:10 AM
Joined Aug 2005
28 Posts
Glue

Thx for your insight on the glue. I've seen the Gorilla glue at local home supply...had no idea it was light enough to use in building up foam planes.

Your comment on CA;s is well takn. from the way it's advertised I got the impression it was the only type of glue to use on foam "period".

Thx again
Old Sep 17, 2005, 08:53 AM
rogue_medic
portkennedy ,western australia
Joined Oct 2004
295 Posts
the gws planes usually come with glue

it is about the best i have seen for the gws planes, as it stays a little bit flexable, but not so much as to be to floppy< not brittle like wbpu <gorilla glue> , or epxoy and ca

imagine that
chris higdon is offline Find More Posts by chris higdon
Old Sep 17, 2005, 05:56 PM
Electric Orange
Orange, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
985 Posts
For assembling GWS planes I use both the supplied glue (when I'm not in a hurry) or odourless CA and I like the result of both. If you don't think you can get the fuse halves lined up easily and need some time to play with the alignment then go with the supplied glue.

For repair, I used odourless CA, epoxy and wood glue. All work fine and again it comes down to how much time you have. Wood glue wicks into the foam really well but takes a long time to dry. Epoxy is thick and needs to be mooshed (.. technical term ) into the break to wet it out which means you use more, and add weight.

Scott
scotta is offline Find More Posts by scotta
Old Sep 19, 2005, 11:18 AM
Joined Aug 2005
28 Posts
Scotta,

Think I will follow your advice and get both odorless CA and 5 minute epoxy.

Am I right to assume you use epoxy on those jobs where there is a "gap" to be filled?
Old Oct 17, 2005, 05:38 PM
Joined Oct 2005
1 Posts
Help with the Glue!

I'm building my first foamie, a Multiplex Easy Glider.
The LHS gave me a foam safe CA to use with it.
The EG is an Elapor foam.

But if you go to the tower hobbies write-up on the EG, it says NOT to use a foam safe CA.

I've used the glue on the fuselage so far.
Anyone know of the consequences?

The bond seems strong, and there hasn't been a detrimental effect on the foam.
OnALark is offline Find More Posts by OnALark
Old Oct 17, 2005, 07:15 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Aug 2005
1,110 Posts
lark, you should be fine. I used some regular ca on a scrap of blucor, and it ate it completely away. I figured out why they make foam safe ca. If it didn't eat the foam away, and it has a good bond...I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe some of the easyglider/elapor foam owners can chime in with what they use for theirs.

Todd
savydad is offline Find More Posts by savydad
Old Oct 17, 2005, 07:57 PM
Womb Drifter
NC, USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,120 Posts
I have been using Liquid Nails' Perfect Glue #1 on white foam and have been very satisfied.

It holds extremely well. It sets up pretty quickly and stays somewhat flexible.

It's heavier than CA, but lighter than epoxy, and it doesn't "foam-up" or expand like Gorilla glue and the like.

Advance Auto parts just had it on sale for $2.88 and I bought 3 tubes.

For holding in servos and other relatively light duty work, a low temp glue gun also works very well, and is fast.
Phiber Optik is offline Find More Posts by Phiber Optik