HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 16, 2005, 09:31 PM
Joined Sep 2005
1 Posts
hardwired solutions?

Hi all,
By reading through these threads, you guys seem to really know your electrons.

I'm looking to use modded servos (360 ROTAION)to control some tilt tables.
I am looking to create/modify/build or buy a hard wired, joystick controlled, variable speed-reversing controller.
I need to stay hardwired due to a heavy RF enviornment and prevent interference with more important systems.
Also, I 'd like to stay away from PC based systems. This would need to operate on batteries some of the time.

Any informations or direction for further research would greatly appreciated.
_www
wwwgator is offline Find More Posts by wwwgator
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2005, 10:53 PM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,162 Posts
Quote:
I'm looking to use modded servos (360 ROTAION)to control some tilt tables.
Are you aware that the typical 360 mod'd servo is not proportional? With some care, you can make them variable speed, in a crude sort of way. This is a popular robotics trick to convert some servos for use to power some wheels.

As far as hardwiring goes, you can use "servo testers" as the source of the servo signal. These can be purchased or made from common parts (555 timers are popular, as well as PIC MCU's).

Lastly, you can use any stock R/C transmitter and receiver, that offer the DSC feature, as a hardwired (non-RF) system. This will give you a familiar interface as a means to control the servos.
Mr.RC-CAM is offline Find More Posts by Mr.RC-CAM
Old Sep 16, 2005, 10:59 PM
"Simplify, then add lightness"
Raleigh,NC
Joined Nov 2000
2,700 Posts
There are many servo tester circuits floating around that are controlled with a pot. You could use the pots in a joystick to control servos with them. This page has several. The are listed as "Servo Driver". http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/gadgets/gadgets.htm
jeffs555 is offline Find More Posts by jeffs555