Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 16, 2005, 01:39 PM
Joined Apr 2005
197 Posts
How do you remove the can from an outrunner?

How do I remove the can from an outrunner brushless motor? I think I may have already damaged it by gripping it to hard with the pliers. I think I might have put too much pressure on the can. I've tried turning the nut visible in the picture but it just spins along with the prop shaft.
xray328 is offline Find More Posts by xray328
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2005, 02:48 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Maybe hold the propshaft with pliers and turn the nut?
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Sep 16, 2005, 02:54 PM
Silent but deadly
Cataula, Ga
Joined Mar 2005
799 Posts
The only one I have ever opened was a MPjet. Mine was opened from a crash. The Bell was just glued on with CA. Once it was back together, I just used thin CA to lock it back on. I would check the nut also... As a first test. If not, you may have to find some kind of large gear puller and lock under the rim of the bell and push the shaft in.
CRASH_Jim is offline Find More Posts by CRASH_Jim
Old Sep 16, 2005, 04:38 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined May 2004
2,641 Posts
Generally you don't remove the shaft from the can. It's probably a press fit or even glued. There should be a retaining C-clip on the bottom where the shaft exits. Take the clip off and you should be able to pull the can and shaft off as a unit.
Kwok_Yu is offline Find More Posts by Kwok_Yu
Old Sep 17, 2005, 04:51 PM
Watts your motivation
San Bernardino, CA
Joined Aug 2003
6,512 Posts
It is a bear to get it off. If you have the right pliers, it can be done. I did it to one of mine as the bell was wobbly. Bell was found to be "wobbly" as it was out of round shipped to me. If you can eliminate the scraping inside, it will work "OK" enough for budget use (these are budget outrunners). Try squeezing the outside of the can with a vise or something to make it more round-that is what I did but beware of loose mags after.

Justin
roccobro is offline Find More Posts by roccobro
Old Sep 17, 2005, 05:00 PM
Joined Apr 2005
197 Posts
Actually I tried that and may have used a bit too much pressure. Unofrtunately I did it with the can still on the motor...
Old Sep 17, 2005, 05:23 PM
Watts your motivation
San Bernardino, CA
Joined Aug 2003
6,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray328
Actually I tried that and may have used a bit too much pressure. Unofrtunately I did it with the can still on the motor...
How did you lock the can from spinning? Another thing I did to re-round the can was shove a jewelers screwdriver through one fot he top vent holes and pry. It makes changes to a specific area desired, instead of an equal opposite reaction on the other side of the pliers/vise.

Justin
Old Sep 17, 2005, 05:47 PM
Joined Apr 2005
197 Posts
It was a mess.

How in the owrld does this thing come apart??? I've been at this for an hour and can't get the shaft out.
Old Sep 17, 2005, 07:15 PM
Watts your motivation
San Bernardino, CA
Joined Aug 2003
6,512 Posts
Is the bell off the shaft?

Justin
Old Sep 18, 2005, 07:47 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,177 Posts
What motor is that?

Knowing what it is might help somebody tell you what to do.

I just have one outrunner and it has hex screws, a bit out of sight, holding the shaft on.
perttime is offline Find More Posts by perttime
Old Sep 18, 2005, 11:02 AM
Joined Apr 2005
197 Posts
I finally got the bell removed. The shaft and bell come off together. I can't get the shaft out though. theres a nut on the bell that the shaft goes through but I can't get the nut off, it just turns. The bell, nut and shaft are all independent of each other and turn independently.

Its a BP-12 from balsa products.