SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 15, 2005, 10:58 AM
Joined Apr 2004
328 Posts
1 watt ultra bright LED's for night flying

Just got my All Electronics catalog in the mail, and they have 1 watt LED for a reasonable price. These are VERY bright. I have a flashlight with one in it.
colors are red, green, amber, white, and blue. Prices are from $8-$11.50ea.
100 degree viewing angle, Max. forward voltage 4vdc, max forward current:350/700ma. The part numbers are from LED-109 through LED-113.
Their web site is www.allelectronics.com
Just thought I'd pass this along.
Medve is offline Find More Posts by Medve
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2005, 11:54 AM
Robots... robots everywhere
Cape Town, South Africa
Joined Jan 2003
2,060 Posts
dunno, it might be so bright that you lose your night vision.

but seriously, don't you think they are a bit of an overkill?

even the normal 1/10 - 1/20 of a watt are pretty bright...
minifly is offline Find More Posts by minifly
Old Sep 15, 2005, 11:58 AM
Flying motor mount master
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
besides at a couple of them you would have to use a new UBEC to drive them!!!
fly_boy99 is offline Find More Posts by fly_boy99
Old Sep 15, 2005, 12:54 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Feb 2004
2,110 Posts
The real question would be what their light output is at a more reasonable drive current (30mA or so).

The 100 degree viewing angle is very nice though. If the diffusion is reasonably even over that range, then we're talking something pretty reasonable. Pricing seems a bit extreme though.

= Mike
DrZiplok is offline Find More Posts by DrZiplok
Old Sep 15, 2005, 02:13 PM
Joined Apr 2004
328 Posts
you can just use one forward facing one as you come in to land.
will light up your runway.
Medve is offline Find More Posts by Medve
Old Sep 15, 2005, 02:36 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
well I can only assume there must be a good reason as to why some other nite light manufacturers who actually make/sell night flight modules for plane have not used these 1 watt LEDS..over the more popular 1/8-1/4 watt LEDS..if they were that much better at illuminating..and one would only need 2 or 3 of them,,to do the job that 4 or more of the smaller ones would do..there has to be a reason why no one is using them..whetehr its because current draw is to much..or possibly the light uotput isnt that much more noticeable for night flying/viewing....
rumme is offline Find More Posts by rumme
Old Sep 15, 2005, 02:38 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
is it possible that they would get to hot..becuase of the higher current they need to function at 100%..and would not be advisable to use on foam/balsa wood...???
Old Sep 15, 2005, 02:39 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Feb 2004
2,110 Posts
Just to put things in perspective, I can see the LEDs on my Curtek system (suitably scuffed with 400 grit sandpaper) from a height at which the plane itself is no longer clearly visible to the naked eye.

= Mike
DrZiplok is offline Find More Posts by DrZiplok
Old Sep 15, 2005, 04:55 PM
Registered Plan-a-holic
Stonewall, MB, Can
Joined Jul 2004
2,847 Posts
All the night flying I've done I can say that there most certainly is such a thing as too bright

For dusk flying it isn't as bad, but if you are flying in darkness and you get a blast of LED light right in you eye, even from 300', you'll be seeing spots and have a helluva time keeping it in perspective.

And YES, that can happen even with the lights pointed at the airplane. I now put heat shrink around the bulbs so that only the tip is showing and to help ensure it only lights up the airplane with no stray light.
Hepdog is online now Find More Posts by Hepdog
Old Sep 15, 2005, 05:01 PM
Joined Jun 2005
135 Posts
They sure do make great flashlights though for finding models after you've flown just a bit too long after dark !!!The little ones work just fine on planes and don't draw nearly the current .... love the flashing ones too ....
gpw-Guitar is offline Find More Posts by gpw-Guitar
Old Sep 15, 2005, 06:19 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
gpw guitar...is that a new brand name of guitars beign made/sold/?..ive never heard of them
Old Sep 15, 2005, 08:01 PM
Master of 1 point landing
Naperville, IL
Joined Jul 2005
2,841 Posts
Aw just put in a couple of luxeon star LEDS and turn night back into day

http://www.lumileds.com/products/family.cfm?familyId=2
ImaBiggles is offline Find More Posts by ImaBiggles
Old Sep 15, 2005, 08:36 PM
Stay thirsty my friends.
Tosev 3
Joined Feb 2003
1,034 Posts
I have one of the white ones. You would probably need to use a current limiting circuit of some type. I do not use them on my plane(s). I use them for outdoor lighting. They do get rather warm.
DR. JOY is offline Find More Posts by DR. JOY
Old Sep 15, 2005, 09:12 PM
Wisconsin
Joined Oct 2003
49 Posts
Wallmart special!

Hi Guys,

I have tried the night flying...its fun. I made a b25 foamy powered by two CDrom motors that I wasn't afraid to destroy when night flying...Try it!
(http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=406909)

At night, its a blast. I crashed it many times...a bit of superglue and tape and were back into biz. Flying at night is much harder than flying during the day, I think.

Any ways...

I found a tiny LED light at walmart for $2.50 each. I put one at each end of the wing and pointed it twards the fuse. One green, one white. Its like having a spotlight shining at the plane at all times. They illuminated the fuse and underwing perfectly. Then, I put one under the nose for a headlight. So, for $7.50, I got a night flyer. They are powered by 3 tiny button batteries. Also, to make things easier, you could try having a buddy shine a million candlepower spotlite at the plane until you get the hang of the night flying thing.

They are called "Garrity Glo light", upc#74196 00445. My walmart has them in the flashlite section, and they are $2.50. They come in all kinds of colors, but I nabbed some white and green ones. The kids LOVE them..they run forever on the batteries it seems.

I can't find them on the Wallmart site, but I found them by doing a search so you see them:
http://www.branders.com/s/Logoed-Glo...oom-50355.html
( I think these guys must put your logo and such on them...) Again, hit wallmart, they are $2.50

I snapped the long tube off, leaving the light/switch/battery part. It only weighs 14 grams each. You can build the plane too in just a few hours: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=406909 (shameless plug for my plane I love so much.)

I originally had dreams of stripping it down to the LED, then wire into the plane using their batteries... But, they are so light, I just hot melt glued them to the wings, pointing towards the fuse.
Take care, good luck.
blackdogroad is offline Find More Posts by blackdogroad
Old Sep 16, 2005, 02:33 AM
Suspended Account
United States, UT, Salina
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
The best price I've found on Bright led lights is at an Ebay store.
http://stores.ebay.com/LED-Store
I really like the three color leds that he sells. You can pump almost any voltage to them and they take it. I guess it's because they only flash each color is the reason that they don't burn out.
Best if you use the proper resistor though.
Curtek makes a nice light system for turnkey rc ops.
http://www.curtek.com
They have wide angle lenses and Rc control options.
Dollar stores here in Oregon carry lots of nice led flasher packages that can be seen in an rc plane for quite a distance.
Also there are several vendors on Ebay that sell flashing led packages as well as light weight keychain led lights that can be seen for well over a mile.
I have over 36 led lights on my slow stick and I find that as long as I stay with a known color in the front (for me it's 3blues with two bright landing lights,) and a known color facing back (for me it's 3orange, 2yellow and 2lashing pink,) then all the other lights can be any other color or even flash any combo of other colors and I still can tell what the plane is doing and fly it with no confusion .
In fact it's much easier to fly at night than in the day.
For a really weird look that brings people from miles away.
Take a cheap led keychain light and hook it too your night flyer with about ten to twenty feet of thread and fly that around doing some loops and tight turns.
Looks really wild. Ad two or more of these and even the local "tweakers" will repent and go to church on sunday.
Bill
Bilbobaker is offline Find More Posts by Bilbobaker