HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 09, 2002, 02:01 PM
Joined Apr 2002
18 Posts
Think I've Burnt Out My Zagi Stock Motor

Hi Guys

I'm now flying my Zagi at virtually full power all the time doing rolls and loops, today after about 10 mins the power dropped of really quick. Once I landed it the most evil smell of burning components was coming from the motor and it was red hot.

I've only had the motor about 3 weeks and now fly pretty quick on my 1400 nics.

Have I destroyed the motor and is it time to upgrade to a better motor, I want more speed!

Can anyone recommend a good motor which will work on a 23amp spd controller and 8 x 1400 nic cells.

Thanks

Steve
Javawookie is offline Find More Posts by Javawookie
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2002, 03:42 PM
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
7,679 Posts
Hi Steve,

A common upgrade is to use the MPI Cobalt 4014 motor.

This is also sold by Trick RC already reverse timed for a Zagi. You can buy it reverse timed from Kirk at New Creations also.

Do a search in the Foamies forum for "4014" and you'll find plenty of users.

Good luck!
Greg Covey is online now Find More Posts by Greg Covey
Old May 09, 2002, 04:29 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,184 Posts
Mag Mayhem at ~19 amps with an Aeronaut 6.5x4. YaHOOOOO!

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old May 09, 2002, 11:25 PM
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined May 2001
241 Posts
Mark,

Where do you usually fly? I'd like to see your mag mayhem one of these days.
DEATHspiral is offline Find More Posts by DEATHspiral
Old May 09, 2002, 11:39 PM
San Diego Lindberg, California, United States
Joined Jan 2002
1,288 Posts
alternative to MM

Hi:
I don't have a Zagi, but a Raider. In the past two months, I've worn out one Speed 400 type motor and bent the shaft on three motors. I gave up. I mounted a Trinity Speed Gems2 motor, 13 turn double. I am using either 6 cells or 7 cell packs of CP 2400 mAH. I am using a 6 x 3 prop. It really wails. AUW of 41.5 oz with the 7 cell pack. The 540 size motors are much tougher, 3.2 mm shaft,
fully adjustable timing, and replaceable brushes and springs. Actually, this motor is on its second armature. I wore the original armature, a 16turn triple wind right through the copper of the commutator, so I bought a spare armature.
The 540 motors seem to be better balanced so when the revs go up, the vibration is minimal. I hope you can afford a new ESC because there is no substitute for power !!!Strangely even though my AUW went from 28 oz to
41.5 oz, the plane still floats and glides great, but the full power vertical climbs
are awesome. I can't believe that some people have actually mounted two 540 class motors on their wings !

I definitely recommend going to a 540 size motor, cheap and reliable.
I got mine for about $22 USD on sale and Hobby Shack a couple of years ago.
I believe that the regular price is only $27 at Hobby People now, and it comes
with ball bearings, and the bell has timing marks and is easy to adjust. Just loosen two screws and turn the bell .

Peter
epkoncept is offline Find More Posts by epkoncept