Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 14, 2005, 11:57 PM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
United States, GA, Powder Springs
Joined Dec 1999
4,210 Posts
"Proud To Be Foam" Planes (Uncovered Foam Planes)

I remember back in college (~1984, or so), one of my instructors was talking about r/c planes and he was somewhat irritated with "toy" planes that try to look like "real" planes. His opinion was that r/c planes should look "different" -they should look like anything except full size planes.

I liked that instructor a lot and I've often thought about this opinion.

Frankly, before I cut out a wing I usually try to make sure I get the Owens Corning & other printed graphics where it will show up nicely. It's obvious, some of you guys do this too. See, I actually enjoy going to fly my plane and have folks come over & ask me about it. Then I hold it up and tell them something like "Yeah, it's just foam insulation and hot glue", which is very obvious with my (usually uncovered) planes.

I mean, I really dig foam. I think it should be celebrated and left naked - out there for the whole world to see what it really is. This uniquely functional material is aesthetically pleasing, IMO.

Yeah, sure, it's certainly wonderful to see beautiful covered planes - and I even like some balsa planes. But to me, there's really nothing more visually appealing (from an r/c plane point of view) than an uncovered foam plane with the original graphics "out there" and displayed where all can see.

Someday I'm going to build a full size FFF Bird Dog with scaled up FFF graphics on the wing & fuselage. Can you just imagine how the competition will gloat when I win the AMA scale nats with my pink FFF Bird Dog?

Diggin' it man, I'm really diggin' it.
Buzz_Man is online now Find More Posts by Buzz_Man
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2005, 01:30 AM
It's been a while.
Irvine, CA
Joined Jan 2005
2,690 Posts
Here's mine with just a bit of color.
The newest version has none at all.
Daniel G is offline Find More Posts by Daniel G
Old Sep 15, 2005, 08:00 AM
Gobles , Michigan
Joined Oct 2004
42 Posts
This is how I fly them
RS 38-40 is offline Find More Posts by RS 38-40
Old Sep 15, 2005, 09:12 AM
Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
2,386 Posts
Interesting concept, must save a fortune on covering and paint! I like! Barry.
rcminiman is offline Find More Posts by rcminiman
Old Sep 15, 2005, 11:04 AM
Joined Apr 2004
328 Posts
It drives the perfectionists crazy at the field when you show up with a huge chunk of naked foam. AND IT FLYS! A friend and I flew a bird dog, 200% scaled up from the plans found on Ezone, and it was a blast. Keep it up.
Medve is offline Find More Posts by Medve
Old Sep 15, 2005, 12:07 PM
Krued Up
United States, MA, Springfield
Joined Jul 2004
4,489 Posts
me like
snolord1 is offline Find More Posts by snolord1
Old Sep 15, 2005, 12:33 PM
Joined Sep 2004
108 Posts
I agree. All of my foamies are naked. Mainly because my artistic skills look worse then naked foam.

I think we need t-shirts

REAL PILOTS FLY NAKED!
rocstar is offline Find More Posts by rocstar
Old Sep 15, 2005, 12:34 PM
United States, OH, Troy
Joined Jun 2004
240 Posts
I want to fly, not model, leave'm naked.
e_gadgetgeek is offline Find More Posts by e_gadgetgeek
Old Sep 15, 2005, 02:48 PM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
United States, GA, Powder Springs
Joined Dec 1999
4,210 Posts
I started leaving off the tape mainly because of time (lazy) then realized the weight savings & performance increases.

I still (usually) tape up the nose & bottom of flying wings (for wing strength and damage control) but that's pretty much it - and even then, why not use clear tape so the natural beauty shines through, eh?
Buzz_Man is online now Find More Posts by Buzz_Man