HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 13, 2005, 07:57 AM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,531 Posts
Tiling PDF Plans / Printing PDF Plans as Tiled Pages

We were discussing tiling and PC programs on another thread. Thought it would be good to break the info out into its own thread, so....

A free, open-source program called ImageMagick at
http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php
can be used to convert large, single-page (pdf and other image files, no dxf though) plans to gif format.

Printing the gif file with MS-Paint can then produce a tiled printout plan.

One could also in theory use the open-source program 'pdfcreator' at

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/

( this is a printer driver that when printed to pops up a dialog box for a filename, and will save the printed output as a pdf. )
to turn the tiled printing back into pdf.
kdahlhaus is online now Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2005, 08:48 AM
Why aren't you out flyin?
Overland Park, Kansas, United States
Joined Mar 2004
2,046 Posts
kdahlhaus, sorry but I do not have the free version of adobe acrobat to test, I use the professional version. Anyway, doesn't the free acrobat do tiled printing? If you click "file" then "print" is there an option for "page scaling"? If so all you need to do is choose "tile all pages" or "tile large pages". The pro version does this but I can't rememeber if the free version does or not.
-Rick
colbyweb is offline Find More Posts by colbyweb
Old Sep 13, 2005, 09:11 AM
Joined Mar 2002
4,531 Posts
I just tried it with the free reader printing to PDFCreator. I ended up with a single page that would be the first page of the tiled document, as if it took the number of pages to print from the source document and did not adjust that number to account for the tiling.

The process in the first post should work around this problem for those that do not own the full adobe suite.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 04:05 PM
Joined Mar 2004
2,046 Posts
I'll have to crank up my laptop and see what happens there. I have the free version on it.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 05:29 PM
__Jackass Savant__
United States, CA, Oxnard
Joined Feb 2005
2,505 Posts
The newest free version of AcrobatReader does not tile print. Damn, now I have to go back and edit a bunch of posts.

Looks like it's PRO only.
theBOZman is offline Find More Posts by theBOZman
Old Sep 14, 2005, 09:18 AM
Bangalore, India
Joined Nov 2003
151 Posts
Install a postscipt printer driver. Print with it to get a ps file then use this utility.

http://www.tug.org/tex-archive/support/poster/

Now you can print anything tiled.

-- Rajesh
Rajesh L G is offline Find More Posts by Rajesh L G
Old Sep 14, 2005, 01:10 PM
Joined Mar 2004
2,046 Posts
Hey great idea! I was wondering if you could do that and I searched around google looking for somethng like it yesterday. I didn't find anything when I was looking. I don't need the utility since I have acrobat pro but as a long time unix/linux user I figured there was some way to do it with postscript. Thanks for the tip Rajesh!
-Rick
Old Sep 14, 2005, 02:02 PM
Joined Mar 2002
4,531 Posts
Rajesh, I echo everything Rick said. Thanks!
Old Sep 16, 2005, 04:30 AM
Bangalore, India
Joined Nov 2003
151 Posts
You are welcome. But if you are a linux user why are you wasting time with windows I use qcad for dxf and a gui for poster is built into kdeprint.

Anybody not using linux should give it a try(to print tiled plans if nothing else ). There are live cds (knoppix for example) available which will let you try without installing anything on hard disk. Installing it is easy too, I find it to be easier than windows nowadays. Also it doesn't reboot a million times during install

-- Rajesh
Rajesh L G is offline Find More Posts by Rajesh L G
Old Sep 16, 2005, 12:52 PM
Joined Mar 2004
2,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh L G
You are welcome. But if you are a linux user why are you wasting time with windows
-- Rajesh
Circumstances have me using windows right now, but it won't be for very long. I like linux much better
-Rick
Old Jul 19, 2014, 01:36 PM
Joined Jul 2013
2 Posts
PDF tile tools

Hello,

i found also handsome PDF tiling tools. These are free and have the option to put a overview sheet into your tiled document. These are Govert's Tools.

http://www.noliturbare.com/pdf-tools/pdf-tiler

What i am really looking for, is a tool to give me a tiled output with solid cutmarks around my drawings, considering some space to the edges to match my printer allowance.

Hoping some clever guy will program a PDF tiler for our needs.
jimmihenry is offline Find More Posts by jimmihenry
Old Jul 19, 2014, 01:45 PM
yank and bank!!
Joined May 2013
2,198 Posts
Unless I'm missing something there may not be an issue with tiled printing in adobe reader X as of the date of this post..... I just printed a large plan using the "poster" option and aside from the non-printable area of my laser printer (which isn't adobe's fault and simply means I'd have cut the borders of all the pages) I can arrange the trimmed, formerly letter sized sheets of paper in order to make a larger plan. If I'm not seeing the issue, sorry for this post.
failboat is offline Find More Posts by failboat