HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2005, 08:31 PM
Edmonton, Canada
Joined Apr 2003
606 Posts
Discussion
Iphan's Starfighter at 120% made out of foam.

Well, I've been admiring the Starfighter that Iphan built a short time ago and ran out to buy the magazine with his article in it right away. I thought I would try to follow Steve's formula of the 220-250 square inch rule etc. but soon discovered that produced a fuselage that was around eight feet long or some such crazy number! Since I only had around four feet of blue foam left in the garage, I decided to follow the proven DAF method and scale up 120%. He and JMorgan have made some beautiful giant birds over the last few months so I'm going to have a go.

I am totally open to suggestions. I will use JMorgan's blue foam fuse method, depron and carbon strip for the wings and go from there. I will try to build as light as possible but then again I've tried that in the past and it always ends the same way. I'll put a hook in it to bungy the whole three ring circus.

So feel free to chime in. Do I dare scale the wing up ever so slightly? Currently the fuse will be 49" with a 17" wing span. When I started cutting out templates I just had to laugh. No vertical from this guy but I expect lots of roll rate. Would it look stupid to reduce the anhedral? Will a flat plate wing work?

Naysayers are also welcome. This will give one of the opportunity to gloat.

So far I have formed a big giant blue foam cylinder that will soon get some shaping to form a fuse. Depron or vac formed intakes.

Hope I've at least brought some snickers or chuckles....

Jack
Action Jack is offline Find More Posts by Action Jack
Last edited by Action Jack; Sep 18, 2005 at 12:37 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2005, 08:59 PM
United States, MA, Chelmsford
Joined Jul 2000
3,425 Posts
Jack that's the F-104 right. Certainly save wt. on the wing, eh! Go for it my man!

DAF
Ralph A. D'Amelio is offline Find More Posts by Ralph A. D'Amelio
Old Sep 12, 2005, 09:06 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,574 Posts
I would keep the anhedral, it's there for a purpose and looks so cool. If I were doing it I would "cheat" a little on the wing. Noone will ever no but you. Flate plate will do great and look right because the 104's wing looks like a flat plate, it was so thin.
I had kicked around a 104 but just haven't had the time.
I do have one suggestion: Toothpicks. For your eyes. So you won't blink while it's rolling, you'll miss it!
Gonna be a great build, can't wait.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Sep 12, 2005, 09:08 PM
Departing at 'O' dark 30
Sudbury, Ont. Canada
Joined Feb 2002
1,253 Posts

This should be good.
Cass is offline Find More Posts by Cass
Old Sep 12, 2005, 09:12 PM
Edmonton, Canada
Joined Apr 2003
606 Posts
That's the one, DAF. It makes me laugh when I see how small the wing is. I guess I'm due for a failure though. Think big, and be big, right DAF?

Jack
Old Sep 12, 2005, 09:21 PM
Edmonton, Canada
Joined Apr 2003
606 Posts
Thanks, J. That's what I was thinking. Seems by adding an inch in chord and two in span I can get the area into the whole square foot region! I'm stickin' with the anhedral because, you are right, it looks super cool.

I will try to avoid the tempting paint schemes above and go with a natural aluminum finish. I keep telling myself if I can build a two engine Mosquito that came in at 26 oz AUW, i can build a missle under 20 oz with brushless and a lipo pack.

Thanks Cass! You beat me to the F-5 so I got to try to up the ante. And you did that nice moose paint job.

Jack
Old Sep 12, 2005, 09:21 PM
United States, MA, Chelmsford
Joined Jul 2000
3,425 Posts
Toothpicks are good ! You know, Jack, its how you play the game not whether you win or lose........ya right More power to you.

DAF
Ralph A. D'Amelio is offline Find More Posts by Ralph A. D'Amelio
Old Sep 12, 2005, 09:24 PM
Edmonton, Canada
Joined Apr 2003
606 Posts
Toothpicks! I'm on 'em! I've also upped my caffeine intake considerably so I might get this in the air before the Canadian winter rears it's ugly head! And my new radio has me feeling all cocky 'cause I can program stuff. So you see, pride before the fall.

Jack
Old Sep 12, 2005, 09:49 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,574 Posts
Now if we can only get him smoking DAF, THEN he will be a building machine!
Pics please......

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2005, 09:55 PM
Edmonton, Canada
Joined Apr 2003
606 Posts
Not much to see yet, J. Just a big cylinder of blue foam. I have access to a giant belt sander (8 feet long...) so I cut two four inch circles, stuck 'em on each end and rolled the two halves until they were round. I've tacked them together as you describe and will hack saw 'em apart once I like the shape. Then it's that nasty Dremel and wire brush nonsense that we both know and love....

Jack

PS Isn't inhaling all that blue foam dust make me a bit like the cool kids who smoke?
Old Sep 12, 2005, 10:07 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,574 Posts
Might make you look like a Smurf! You can also use Jerry Hall's method. Put a rasp in a drill press and hollow that way. That's the way I'm doing it anymore but it's still messy.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2005, 11:28 PM
Edmonton, Canada
Joined Apr 2003
606 Posts
Smurfs! Ahhhhhh!

Didn't you know how they were a crazy attempt to sway America's kids toward Communism. I mean think about it:

"Blue" collar workers unite for the common good.

Those mushroom houses? (Kremlin domes....)

Play the theme backward (Soviet anthem, I swear!)

What colour was Papa Smurf's hat?

Look at these photos man.... I'm telling you we were this close to all eating beet soup....

Jack
Old Sep 13, 2005, 02:50 AM
Registered Plan-a-holic
Stonewall, MB, Can
Joined Jul 2004
2,872 Posts
Go for it Jack.

Virtually anything will fly - if its either light enough or has enough power - or preferably both

If you do a search on anherdral, some wise fellow once posted a very thorough aeronautical engineering reason d'etre for it. To sum up, definatley keep it as it reduces dutch roll and improves stability.

Always wanted a 104...
Hepdog is online now Find More Posts by Hepdog
Old Sep 13, 2005, 04:02 AM
Magic Blue Smoke costs to much
Melbourne, AUSTRALIA
Joined Dec 2004
2,710 Posts
Hey, I've got a plan for a foam Starfighter. It was a free download of the net. I'll have alook now and post info about it if anyone is interested.
jason H is offline Find More Posts by jason H
Old Sep 13, 2005, 11:35 AM
Edmonton, Canada
Joined Apr 2003
606 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement, Hepdog! But you've described two of my basic handicaps. Building light (Just can't seem to stop adding paint, pilots, pitot tubes, tip tanks etc.) and having enough power. I think I'll need a new motor since my Himax outrunners are less than stellar for this application and I'm not sure my geared Himax drive will give me the speed I will need. I have a Park 370 in one of my Hornets and I really like it. Maybe one of those guys or a new fancy (and spendy) AXI. Oh I forgot a third problem. I'm cheap!

JasonH, it would be great if you could rustle up some other plans. Maybe it will give me better insight into shaping etc. Thanks!

Jack

PS. Thanks a lot J. Now that Smurf theme is in my brain! Owwww! The horror!