HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2005, 03:12 PM
Raleigh/Durham Intl, North Carolina, United States
Joined Nov 2001
1,165 Posts
Gallery
DiddleBugs scale style

Hey all, I've been too busy lately to do any major projects, but I did have a chance to whip up a couple Diddle bug style models. I have always loved the go anywhere versatility and simplicity of the Bug but it just wasn't scale enough for me. Here's my attempt to get my scale fix but still keep it simple. They both weigh around 2.8 oz with all the same gear and same span. The 185 flies great, the Scout has a few issues to work out still but it'll get there.

Dave
DBlum is offline Find More Posts by DBlum
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2005, 03:49 PM
Southwest Missouri
Joined Oct 2002
1,354 Posts
cute.
mode1 is offline Find More Posts by mode1
Old Sep 12, 2005, 03:55 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2002
3,878 Posts
Oh, Dave!

Nice looking little birds!!

"Whip up a couple" I want a machine like you have to do this!! "whip up a couple"

whip up a couple

Roger
Rogerdoger is offline Find More Posts by Rogerdoger
Old Sep 12, 2005, 05:36 PM
Joined Nov 2001
1,165 Posts
Thanks guys.
Roger, it's an odd machine. The idea end of it goes 24/7, the production end not so fast....
Old Sep 12, 2005, 06:05 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2002
3,878 Posts
La Machine

Dave,

Those really look great. What motor, etc do you have in there? WS?

Those look like a whole series could be built and not cost a whole bunch of $$$ like gasoline. Stay home, build and fly. Sounds like a good plan to me!!

Keep that maching running!!

Roger
Rogerdoger is offline Find More Posts by Rogerdoger
Old Sep 12, 2005, 07:03 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
OK - do a Taylorcraft like that and you've got me! (Or maybe I should try to do that myself......hmmmmm...... )
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Sep 12, 2005, 08:37 PM
Joined Nov 2001
1,165 Posts
Roger, they are the same span as the bug, 25" I think, and all the same gear.
A series is sort of what I had in mind. Nice and simple, cheap, and look neat in the air. I am considering a Taylorcraft or a Stinson next. I also want to try some different finishing techniques like a wash of clear polyurathane tinted with some paint. It would be much faster than covering. Just want to give thanks again to Bill Stevens for the inspiration. My Diddlebug is still one of my favorites.

Dave
Old Sep 13, 2005, 01:22 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Very cool, Dave! It really is a simple way of designing/building. I'd think the possibilities are endless.

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Sep 13, 2005, 05:07 AM
United States, NY, Dutchess
Joined Jun 2002
651 Posts
Very sharp looking! Do they fly the same as the DiddleBug? I love my Diddle Bug and Rod and would imagine the flight characteristics are very similar. My vote goes for a Stinson.

Rob
robs is offline Find More Posts by robs
Old Sep 13, 2005, 12:13 PM
Montreal St. Hilaire, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
168 Posts
Wow these planes are realy cool...any plans on kitting them or making plans available..

nice to see you back
Lutin is offline Find More Posts by Lutin
Old Sep 13, 2005, 01:36 PM
Zoom, zoom...
Roseville, CA (Sacramento area)
Joined May 2003
3,514 Posts
Dave, did you know you are one of my hero's on R/C Groups? Those are beautiful. You always seem to read my mind on what I "want!" I assume these are balsa? I wonder how 2mm Depron would hold up?
Trikster is offline Find More Posts by Trikster
Old Sep 13, 2005, 01:47 PM
IWC
Joined Feb 2003
2,718 Posts
I 'll take the 185. What a great looking model!

What happen to "D" model of the Bronco?
IWC is offline Find More Posts by IWC
Old Sep 13, 2005, 02:47 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
2,456 Posts
Dave

Great looking ships. Are you using the Diddlebug style drive and battery in them?

I am in the process of building Dbug #2. Was flying my original this spring when, as I was just tooling along , the right wing folded up and the poor Bug hit terra firma. I glued it back to gether but the drive has a bent shaft. Fixed that but the poor bug is so twisted and warped after many hours of flying that I was forced to retire her. So I started on Bug #2 last night and I amalmost done.

Any plans on offering plans etc? How about an Aeronca Champ, a Funk or a rearwin Skyranger?

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Brian Allen is offline Find More Posts by Brian Allen
Old Sep 13, 2005, 05:48 PM
USA, MS, Iuka
Joined Jan 2002
722 Posts
Sweet!!
Bsouthwell is offline Find More Posts by Bsouthwell
Old Sep 14, 2005, 07:05 AM
Joined Nov 2001
1,165 Posts
Thanks guys!

Martin, yes the possibilities are endless. Any taildragger that didn't have really stubby landing gear (like a Porter) would work well. There also are some tiny new outrunners available which run a much smaller prop that would let you do trike gear without it looking too goofy.

Robs, the 185 flies like the Bug, the Scout still need some work. Similar flight characteristics was the goal so that I could still fly between the trees in the yard, do touch and gos off the car roof etc.

Lutin, no plans right now, I just needed a simple diversion from my hectic work schedule. Maybe later.

Trickster, thanks! I'm guessing depron would work just fine. It's already the right color and you could make the wings solid. Hmmmm........

IWC, the Bronco was covered and ready for paint but fell from my ceiling right before SEFF. It got smashed pretty good and I'm still too mad to fix it. Soon though.

Brian, Sorry to hear of you wing fold. Mine Bug wing flutters quite a bit at anything other than cruising speed and I don't think it's long for the world either. The nice thing about the scale versions is that they have the wing struts which seems to have fixed this problem.

Dave