HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2006, 06:37 PM
Central Missouri,USA Along the banks of the Missouri River
Joined Jun 2005
1,734 Posts
Greenboat, I dont have an ampmeter.I know I should have one,its at the top of the "to get" list.I was told that a "regular one" from a hardware store wont work.They said I need one specifically for models and its pretty pricey.

Does anyone have any experience with using fuel hose as a connector between the motor and the shaft??Will this work for high speed applications??Does anyone know of a thread about this??
tim slocum is offline Find More Posts by tim slocum
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2006, 09:08 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,553 Posts
I can't believe your charger doesn't have an ammeter on it, I thought they all came with one. With the capacity of your batteries, I would be tempted to charge them twice (30 minutes) or to be on the safe side about 22 minutes. Then let the trickle take over.
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat
Old Oct 24, 2006, 11:13 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2004
2,453 Posts
Tim, I'm wondering about the fuel tubing-as-universal/connector trick myself; if it would work, sure would simplify things, seems like. What are arguments against it? Would a separate thread on the subject be a good idea?
jeepers1940 is offline Find More Posts by jeepers1940
Old Oct 24, 2006, 11:43 PM
Joined Jun 2005
1,734 Posts
Greenboat, my charger is a Dynamite Mega 1. It has jacks where you can plug in a volt meter.Your idea of quick charging (15min.) twice is interesting as long as it wont hurt the batteries.I will do some looking online for the rate of charge this charger uses for the 15 min.

Jeepers1940, Im sure I remember a thread on the fuel tubing subject in the past,but I tried a search and came up with nothing.I think I will try a new thread.

Oh, and by the way.....GOOOOOOOO CARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 25, 2006, 12:37 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,275 Posts
For my tug boat I made my flex couplers useing Trimmer string, I think
.095 or .105. So far so good.

Don M.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Oct 25, 2006, 09:07 AM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Oct 2003
640 Posts
Proboat upgrade

Tim,

Just got finished doing an article on how to upgrade the proboat classic for the NFACBS newsletter. I replaced the motor and Prop from a scraped scratch and dent Alantic Tug. For universials I used the one that came with it (older boat model) Vac-U-boat boat universial set will fit the 3mm shaft.
I also replaced the stock ESC with a forward/reverse proboat unit.

I loosened the motor mount plate and let the motor center itself. Well almost by itself I set the transmitter at a set speed and move it until it runs the best then tighten the mounts. For some reason after 5 attempts to get the motor shaft in straight aligment with the prop shaft , the motor wants to move to port. Some time you just got to go with the flow.

With this set up I have been using tower hobbies 1900 7.2 packs and get 15- 20 minutes run time at various speeds. I modified the center of the RC pit by cutting the middle of the mount the width of the battery standing sideways, then made a small platform to mount the batteries vertically amd lengthwise in the space. This reduce the center of gravity of the boat allowing her to turn like a real one. I want to try out 8.4 1900 tower hobbies, I beleive with this combo it will have a scale top speed

Right now the boat is apart and the prop shaft and 3 bladed alantic tug prop is out, I am painting the bottom bronze (kyrlon copper). I am also adding chrome tape to the right places as well as making wood flagpoles. I have cloth flags and Chris Craft decals for the sides. I also plan on adding navigation lights for those evening runs.

I will go away for now, have fun and stay out of gas leaks,
Rich
rlboats2003 is offline Find More Posts by rlboats2003
Old Oct 25, 2006, 10:10 AM
Gravity won...!
Austin, TX USA
Joined Jan 2001
399 Posts
More ProBoat Classic upgrades...

Rich and all - here's 8 pages of upgrades to this boat...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405338
Jim Duda is offline Find More Posts by Jim Duda
Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:34 AM
Joined Jun 2005
1,734 Posts
I talked to Horizon support yesterday and he said that I should use the 15min timed charge about 3 times for one battery.Boy, if this is right, I wasnt charging my batteries nearly long enough.I still think that the shaft alignment problem is reducing the runtime.I may try the two way u joint that Mr. Dudda has in his post.I will charge the batteries the way Horizon Support told me to and take the boat out Sat.,which,is my Birthday(40th). Getting older sucks.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:54 AM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,553 Posts
Tim,

If you go for that 3'rd charge, keep a very close eye on those batteries. As they get closer to being fully charged, they will begin to heat up. If they get too hot they will begin to vent or worse.

Happy Birthday Tim. Who here says that getting old ain't for sissies.
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat
Old Oct 26, 2006, 12:26 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,617 Posts
batt temps; you want to keep the temps under 140F
rex
Rex R is offline Find More Posts by Rex R
Old Oct 26, 2006, 12:31 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by green-boat
Happy Birthday Tim. Who here says that getting old ain't for sissies.
Uhm, that would be me!
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Oct 26, 2006, 01:32 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2004
2,453 Posts
And me too. Tim, with your "new" back, you ought to have a whole new lease on life. Happy birthday, many more to ya!
Bill
jeepers1940 is offline Find More Posts by jeepers1940
Old Oct 27, 2006, 08:48 AM
Joined Jun 2005
1,734 Posts
Thanks guys.Weather forecast says its a go for boating on Saturday.Hoorraayyyy!!Im going to time my runs and se what I get.
Old May 26, 2009, 08:52 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,435 Posts
This thread was buried...

...but rather than start a new one I want to revive it.

I picked up a used boat for $40.00 minus the motor, ESC, coupler and rudder linkage. She had some minor damage but is a great addition to my fleet on the cheap.

I pulled the shaft after having to drill out a hole in the bulkhead under the front seat. I had to pull the shaft out the front of the stuffing tube as the set screw on the coupler was stripped out...the rest of the coupler was missing and I was going to replace it anyway...so it didn't matter. The shaft was rusted and pitted pretty good, but is still usable after a light sanding. The pitting is not in the bearing area so it will not hurt performance....and will actually help hold some grease.

The rear seat was in pieces and no amount of glue was going to make it strong again so I rebuilt it with the intention of allowing for locking it down and making it removable. It is held in place with removable pins now.

The transom had a crack that went from just below the water line midships on the transom to about the rudder. It was covered with silcone sealer...and was difficult to remove. I got as much of it off as I could and epoxied the inside and painted the outside.

The servo trays were either loose or completely broken out so I fixed them and added some Styrofoam flotation where I could. I made a new rudder linkage also.

I had a coupler and Bristol Bay motor laying around and added a Electrifly C-55 mini ESC to her. I also added her to my DX6 fleet with the usual good results.

I matched the stock BBay-550 motor to a X632 and she was pretty realistic in speed and made a nice knocking noise due to the coupler angle. I shimmed the back of the mount to straighten the drive line and the knocking sound dissipated. Now she has only a slight knocking sound. I also added a thrust bearing between the stuffing tube and coupler.

I notice the boat is not quite as fast as the other stock boat in my club but runs much cooler.The motor stays cool enough to run a whole pack through. But...I want to be the fastest boat!

Sooo....out came the stock motor and in goes Kmot's favorite...a Titan. It's a Titan 12turn...the same motor I've cooked off a couple of in other boats...but this time I will try to cool it a little better and run a smaller prop. I matched it with a X430. The motor was stripped of it's wrapper putting metal casing to metal mount and adding thin layer of thermal paste between layers. I also added some cooling fins and a electric fan. I'm hoping I won't need water cooling as it wont be easy in this boat.

I also added the crew....testing of new power plant pending.
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Last edited by Capt.Crash; Jun 28, 2010 at 11:07 AM.
Old May 26, 2009, 11:01 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,026 Posts
$40 bucks, good score! What kind of gorilla abused that boat to begin with?

Your figurines seem the perfect size for this boat too.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot