SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 12, 2005, 10:13 AM
Central Missouri,USA Along the banks of the Missouri River
Joined Jun 2005
1,734 Posts
proboat classic runabout

Well after being on a waiting list at the nearest hobby store forever I finally picked up my proboat barrel back.Id like to hear from others that have this boat.Like in another post I too have looked for realistic figures in this scale.So far what I've come up with is a "kelly" doll from my daughters barbie collection.It the gymnast kelly so all the appendeges are adjustable.Actually she looks pretty good.As for the boat,I dont think your going to build a mahogany barrel back much cheaper and its ready to go.As for the negatives,I think the workmanship is a little slopy.There is some excess glue present where the fittings and rub rail were attached.Also the windshield frame doesnt fit very flush with the hull and my windshield glass had a small chip in it.I replaced the speed control with another Proboat one with reverse.This went ok but it was a bear reinstalling the on/off switch!!I quick charged the 7.2 and took it to the lake and it looked amazing at speed.(kelly was smiling the whole time) It is really quite fast.My only complaint here is the short run time.Next time I'll quick charge one battery and slow charge the other and see which one doest better.Overall I really like this boat! Your responses please.Gotta go.

Tim
tim slocum is offline Find More Posts by tim slocum
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2005, 11:52 AM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,813 Posts
What's the MAh rating of your batteries? I consistently get 30 minute run times on 7.2V 3000 MAh NiMh in my PT Boat, running two motors. I haven't run the 3000 MAh packs in my Dumas barrelback yet - I get 15 minute runs witha 1500 MAh NiCad pack in the barrelback.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Sep 12, 2005, 02:47 PM
Gravity won...!
Austin, TX USA
Joined Jan 2001
399 Posts
Pro Boat Barrel Back modifications...

Tim - I'm doing a step-by-step modification thread over in the "Dock Talk" section under "My first electric boat..." Check out the pics...lots more to follow. I moved my switch to the other side and just notched the edge of the board to allow it to "slip in" from the side. I also made the rudder easily removeable and changed out the crappy looking exhaust stack. Other mods include replacing the fore and aft flag masts, replacing the glossy paper flags with cloth ones, changing out the lexan 2 blade prop with a bronze 3 blade, etc. I added the Breyer Action figure doll which scales out correctly. A set of decals is on the way which should really help. I'm just starting, but my goal is to have it hold its own with the professionally built ones from 5 feet away...(wink)
Jim Duda is offline Find More Posts by Jim Duda
Last edited by Jim Duda; Sep 12, 2005 at 02:57 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 04:18 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,616 Posts
Tim,
Another one for the regatta, eh. By slow charging your batteries you will be able to top them off and get more run time out of them.

Hey, did you get caught up in that evacuation from the anhydrous ammonia leak. That could put a crimp in those last minute details before the regatta this weekend.
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat
Old Sep 14, 2005, 12:29 AM
Joined Jun 2005
1,734 Posts
Anhydrous...BAD STUFF!!

After spending some time in the er early Sunday morning I was still under the weather (viral stomach flu/dehyration)when my daughter called me from school saying that someone had told them to "leave town" and "go east"there was an anhydrous leak.She told me that she was leaving with her friend and going to Washington until it was safe.I said ok and went to get my 70year old mother because she lives fairly close to the leak.I got her and went to Washington also to wait it out.On our way I saw over 20 emergency vehicles of various types go by.There was at least 5 different towns that sent equipment.My 91 year old grandmother lives in the senior center and there were plans to evacuate the seniors via mid american bus to Washington but the buses were later sent back empty.By later that evening mom,me and my daughter were all back at my home.We heard that by midnight they had it under control.You could smell it and my sinuses were bad and my daughter said her eyes were bothering her. Thats my fun filled weekend/monday !!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 14, 2005, 07:22 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2004
2,455 Posts
Tim, we're glad to hear that you and yours are alright.
Bill
jeepers1940 is offline Find More Posts by jeepers1940
Last edited by jeepers1940; Sep 14, 2005 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Correction
Old Sep 14, 2005, 10:10 PM
"Old 8140"
Arizona Via NH
Joined Mar 2005
279 Posts
Ditto to what jeepers1940 said!!!!

Jim
Old 8140 is offline Find More Posts by Old 8140
Old Sep 17, 2005, 02:48 AM
Joined Jun 2005
1,734 Posts
CG Bob

My batteries are 1800mah Venoms.My charger instructions say to trickle charge a batteries 1 hour for every 100 mah,so 18hrs for mine.Sounds like a loooong time.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 03:53 PM
Joined Jun 2005
1,734 Posts
Guys, Ive got an idea and I want your feedback.I still not happy with the short runtimes I get with my Classic Runabout.I was thinking of soldering up a wiring harness so that I could run two 3300mah 7.2v for double the runtime.I really dont think the extra weight will be a problem.Do you guys and girls think that there will be any problem with this setup??Is there something Im missing here??
Old Oct 22, 2006, 04:42 PM
Gravity won...!
Austin, TX USA
Joined Jan 2001
399 Posts
Double your pleasure...

I made up a parallel wiring harness but I've never used it since I'm getting 25 - 30 minutes FULL SPEED run times on ONE BATTERY. If you've got the room you should be fine.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 05:33 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Dec 2005
1,228 Posts
Just charge them separately and try not to run them to the last bit. Nicads and Nimd should not be charged in parallel. discharged either but if your careful you can get away with it.

Thanks
Steve
steveciambrone is offline Find More Posts by steveciambrone
Old Oct 22, 2006, 07:05 PM
Joined Jun 2005
1,734 Posts
Mr Duda, I have the same batteries as you have in the picture with the wiring harness ,except their 7.2 instead of 8.4. So, how are you getting 25-30min. and Im getting 6-8min ?????Also, is there a signifigant increase in speed with the higher voltage??Finally, how many hours do you charge your batteries??Thanks
Old Oct 23, 2006, 10:13 AM
Gravity won...!
Austin, TX USA
Joined Jan 2001
399 Posts
What's in Duda's Barrel Back...

Total Weight (one 7 cell 3300 mah stick) 5 lb.- 3.8 oz.
Motor = Mac's 3600
Coupler = Ned Schmidt's flex coupler
Prop = Octura X430 sharpened and balanced
Battery = www.batteryspace.com 3300 mah 7 cell
ESC = ProBoat Riptide $40

Note: I was getting 20 minutes with a 3000 mah
25 - 30 min with the 3300 mah

I charge the 3300 mah pack @300 mah for 12-14 hours.

8.4VDC is approx 2 - 4 MPH faster than 7.2VDC

7 cells fit fine - see pic.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 11:19 PM
Joined Jun 2005
1,734 Posts
Mr.Duda,

Thanks for the answers. I tried one of the flex couplers,but it didnt fit very well as it is longer than the original dogbone.I put the original dogbone back,and am back to lots of vibration and noise.I dont think the prop shaft was installed straight,that is part of the problem.Ive tried to remount the motor twice,with little improvement.By your info,Im diffenately not charging my batteries long enough.Unfortunetely,my charger has a 15min quick charge and a trickle charge.I think the trickle is the way to go,but it will take 33 hours for ONE of my 3300mah batteries!!!Funds are not available at the present for a new charger.Sounds like you boat really goes.Thanks again for the info.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 11:24 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,616 Posts
Tim,

When you are charging your batteries, what is the reading on the ammeter.
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat