HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2005, 11:56 PM
WI
Joined Oct 2004
908 Posts
JetSet44's F-14 Tomcat as a nano twin EDF

Thanks to Sal C for posting plans to a 70% version of JetSet44's F-14, I started construction on a twin EDF version.

I think the final version is going to be made at 75%.

The prototype is made with the BlueCore foam with all of the plastic coating removed.

Wing spars are .156 AirDynamics CF tubes.

I am using the fixed wing to save weight, however they are in the swept back position. Obviously when you build your own, you can make the wings however you want.

So to keep you in suspense until next weekend, here are some pictures of the pre-flight build.

Final sanding was just finished today, and it is looking good. The wing is down to 1.0 oz total, bringing the entire airframe weight to around 4 oz with 2 servos! Seeing as how I will have around 12oz of thrust, it should perform very well with a total aircraft weight of 11.

So far the test flying has been a real disappointment, hence the lack of a flight video.

The original plan was to have it flying 2 weekends ago, however instead of receiving my Feiagos and EDF40s, I got one EDF64 which for some strange reason just won't fit in this plane.. However, they promised all of my new stuff would be here by by this last weekend (9/17/05), but instead of feigao 5300KV, I ended up with 4100KV motors which only resulted in a total of 6 OZ of thrust. About half of the anticipated power. Needless to say I am rather disappointed with my local hobby store. I have yet to receive my battery pack either.

Sal C, I am looking foreward to seeing how yours flys and works! Hopefully it goes better than my flight did.
King_Ice_Flash is offline Find More Posts by King_Ice_Flash
Last edited by King_Ice_Flash; Sep 17, 2005 at 09:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2005, 11:56 PM
WI
Joined Oct 2004
908 Posts
These are the photos of the pre-flight. I also built the Nano F-15, however, I am still waiting for the power unit. Also a photo of how the servos were mounted. I placed servo tabs inside of the fuselage sides to get more space for the exhaust tube.

I also went with Deans 3-Pin micro connectors for the connection between the speed control and the motor. They apparently easily handle the 6 Amps required without significant loss. Not only are they lighter, but they are also less expensive and will have less wind resistance than the 3.5 MM Hi-Maxx plugs I was using.
Last edited by King_Ice_Flash; Sep 12, 2005 at 10:43 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2005, 11:57 PM
WI
Joined Oct 2004
908 Posts
F-14 Tomcat Construction notes:

Mods so far:
I had to glue the engine pods together with the foam corner to corner to get enought space for the EDF 40's to fit. Maybe with 3mm depron you would be OK doing a full lap joint. The final plan will probably be enlarged to 75%

The top engine covers were cut shorter and mated to the rear of the wing, thus eliminating a large amount of foam used in construction. The lower strake pieces were eliminated.

The top wing cover/strake was made one piece. This was not included in the plans, however, JetSet44 is going to add this design to the f-14 fixed wing conversion plans.

The spars are .156 AirDynamics carbon fiber tubes available here: http://airdyn.com
Last edited by King_Ice_Flash; Sep 17, 2005 at 09:37 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 01:35 AM
MN WATTS Master
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Jul 2003
7,385 Posts
Looking good, can't wait to see the flight report.
Vintauri is offline Find More Posts by Vintauri
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2005, 10:11 PM
Giddy up!
Woodridge, Illinois
Joined May 2000
4,478 Posts
KIF,

Nice work, but you're beating me out! j/k

Actually I'm going to start a 3mm edf 40 version myself, I want sweeping wings though. Keep posting...
Sal C is offline Find More Posts by Sal C
Old Sep 12, 2005, 10:15 PM
WI
Joined Oct 2004
908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal C
KIF,

Nice work, but you're beating me out! j/k

Actually I'm going to start a 3mm edf 40 version myself, I want sweeping wings though. Keep posting...
I ran into a bit of a problem with mine. The whole fuselage with all of the electronics (Minus the motors and fans) was around 3.5 OZ, however the wing alone weighs 1.7 oz!

Can't decide weather I should re-make my wing without using half a stick of hot glue to install the spar, or just try it and see what happens.

Just remember... It's not the size of the aircraft, it's how you use it

70% appears a little weak for the 3mm, but Depron is a lot stiffer than bluecore with the plastic removed.

I used WeldBond to put the fuselage together. I got impatient on the wing.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 10:56 PM
WI
Joined Oct 2004
908 Posts
I had another interesting find today. With the new Castle Creations PHX 10 I got, the capacitor was solderded between the negitive and the big solder joint on the other side of the board right under the negitive. This might be to reduce the RF noise that this speed control generates. I will give a report on this too.
Old Sep 17, 2005, 01:20 PM
WI
Joined Oct 2004
908 Posts
Plane weighs 11 oz flat, but I don't think I am getting 12 OZ of thrust like I am supposed to. Test flight is today. Stay tuned for video. Perhaps I could screw with the motor timing and get more zing out of it.
Last edited by King_Ice_Flash; Sep 17, 2005 at 01:31 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2005, 02:19 PM
Watts your motivation
San Bernardino, CA
Joined Aug 2003
6,512 Posts
Tuned in.

Justin
roccobro is offline Find More Posts by roccobro
Old Sep 17, 2005, 06:27 PM
WI
Joined Oct 2004
908 Posts
Not enough power to fly. Grabbed it by the wing and whipped it as hard as I could, but not enough power to gain altitude. Something is wrong, because both motors, speed controls, and servos were drawing a total of 6 amps.

Were you guys disabeling the BEC on one controller?

Standard timing?

Otherwise, it's gotta be the wrong motors that they shipped me. The sound like they are winding up pretty good, but someone forgot to get me my watt meter when they went to the swap meet today. I have the scale out right now to measure thrust.

Feels like the fans have plenty of thrust, so it could be the control rod for the elevators or the intake being too small.

I might need some help solving this.

BWT, if anyone wants to see the 10 second long video of nothing interisting I will post it if it will help.
Old Sep 17, 2005, 06:29 PM
MN WATTS Master
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Jul 2003
7,385 Posts
What motors are you using again?
Vintauri is offline Find More Posts by Vintauri
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 17, 2005, 06:53 PM
WI
Joined Oct 2004
908 Posts
Feiago 5300 KV 12MM. Atleast that's what I ordered. Does anyone have the model number that I would be able to find on the motor? There is a order number on the motor.

PHX 10 speed controls.

3 oz thrust is the best I can get adjusting the duct. Im going to play with the timimg and see what happens.
Old Sep 17, 2005, 07:06 PM
WI
Joined Oct 2004
908 Posts
It's drawing 3 amps off of 11.1V.

This is what it should be right?
EDF-40 11.1 5.3A 5.9 oz 168.57 g
Old Sep 17, 2005, 07:51 PM
WI
Joined Oct 2004
908 Posts
They sent me the 4100 KV motor (1208436)
Old Sep 17, 2005, 08:20 PM
Watts your motivation
San Bernardino, CA
Joined Aug 2003
6,512 Posts
Sorry King, sounds like you found the problem. The 5300's should be pulling 5-6 amps.

FWIW-The 4000kv Medusa in an EDF-50 did wonders for me. I don't know if the Feigaos can handle 8-9 amps and if the F-15 can handle 16-18 oz's of thrust!!

Justin
roccobro is offline Find More Posts by roccobro