HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 08, 2002, 06:11 PM
Faster Faster!!
Kaysville Utah, U.S.A
Joined Oct 2001
1,717 Posts
Hobby Lobby Skimmer?

Hi all,
I mostly fly pylon racers but during my last outing a friend of mine brought out a sailplane from Hobby Lobby called the skimmer.
Battery problems kept him from flying it as his had a speed 400 in the nose.
Aside from a Gentle Lady when I was first learning to fly many years ago, I have to admit that I don't have much experience with sailplanes.
Although this plane didn't look like a high dollar outfit and definitely not a "Pure Sailplane" it did look like it would be a fun way to relax after the world of high speed.
Anyone have any experiences with it? Is it able to thermal very well?
I was contemplating picking up one.
Many Thanks.

Bryan
RCFlybry is offline Find More Posts by RCFlybry
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2002, 08:20 PM
MKH
Ohio
Joined Mar 2000
2,597 Posts
Do a search for 'Skimmer' and you'll have your answers, some of them from me! Your observations are all correct. NOT a high dollar plane, it's on sale at HL for $19. NOT a great kit, but nothing to gripe about if you've seen poor die cutting before. But it IS exactly as you said, an easy, fun, low investment way to kick back and fly. Thermals pretty well if you keep it light. The Big Skimmer thermals even better, again, if light. The little one is very nimble. Can't beat it for $19, a speed 400, 7x600 pack, 6x3 folder, etc. Cheap and easy.

Marcus
MKH is offline Find More Posts by MKH
Old May 10, 2002, 03:26 PM
RPV builder & operator
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2001
2,301 Posts
I picked one up from the HL sale. Tinkering about either using a 4.8V S400 on 6 cells to keep it light, or going to an inline geared set-up.
Pierre Audette is offline Find More Posts by Pierre Audette