HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2005, 12:36 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Need brushless motor recommendations for Hobby People Wild Wing

I've picked up a Wild Wing from Hobby People and would like to put a brushless motor on it. This plane is intended to be a sort of second trainer for my dad and brother in law to get more proficient at flying with. As such I'd favor duration versus outright speed.

The Align 400SF (2800kv) from Allerc with a CC Phoenix 25 seems like a good call, just not sure which prop I'd need to use? Also, which prop adaptor is required for the Align motor? I hope it's not the 1/8" one as that is listed as out of stock on the Allerc site.

Any other recommendations? I've done a bunch of searches and found some info, but nothing really hard and fast (or at least, nothing that seemed really hard and fast to me).

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2005, 01:08 PM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
MotoCalc seems to think that an APC 6x4 would be OK (21.6amps) on this motor/ESC combo, but in my research that prop is not mentioned... any thoughts?

Steve
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2005, 02:08 PM
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Nov 2003
1,987 Posts
Opps, Mr.Steve,

You are flying a electric-WING ?
Oh my god ... hehe

-Kai
Kai@UCSB is offline Find More Posts by Kai@UCSB
Old Sep 10, 2005, 05:55 PM
Grapevine,Texas
Joined Mar 2005
764 Posts
The 6x4 is too much prop for that motor. If you look for a user DawnRon1, he has the SF 2800 with an APC 4.5x4.1. He has some video posted so you can see how it flies- it is pretty strong with that combo. Depending on the size of your battery, a 5x3 prop is about as big as you will want to go with the 25A controller. There is a tread about an "ESC for an Align 400 SF", I posted some prop data in there. I am building mine with 2 1500 Poly-Quests and the amps stay high because the battery doesn't sag.

My buddy has his in the air and it is quick! He has a Mega 16/7/7 and a 5.7x3 prop.
makarov380 is offline Find More Posts by makarov380
Old Sep 10, 2005, 06:04 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,151 Posts
Steve,

I have a Hobby People Wild Wing that I upgraded about a month ago to brushless. I'm using an Align 400LF (2500KV) and a CC Phoenix 25 speed control. Batteries are 8 cell KAN 1050's and prop that I usually use is an APC 4.75x4.75. Static current draw is right at 18 amps with a fresh battery. On this setup the Wild Wing has a whole new personality and really moves out. Flight times are about 8-12 minutes depending on how much I hammer it.

I chose the 400LF over the 400SF as the LF version weighed the same as the SP400 that I was replacing so the CG remained spot on. It also has more torque than the SF version so I can throw it in one of my larger wings and spin a bigger prop when I retire my Wild Wing.

The 400SF 2800KV on an APC 6x4 prop would be incredibly fast and have a lot of vertical. If you're using 8 KAN 1050's flight times would be pretty short as you'll be yanking a lot of current. Another limiting factor would be the CS-09 servos that are typically used with this plane. They don't have a lot of torque and may reach their limit if you're performing aerobatics at full throttle.

Depending on your battery choice, the 400SF 2800KV would be a substantial upgrade to the stock setup. I'd probably prop down a bit from the APC 6x4 to start with and then go up from there. I personally started with an APC 4.75x4.2 and then went to the 4.75x4.75 and 5x5. I settled on the 4.75x4.75 as the plane gets a little squirrely when moving very fast on the 5x5. It also pushes the batteries a little harder than I like to. I fly my eZipper on 9 GP1100's when I want to fly insanely fast as it handles like nothing else I've ever flown or seen.

The Align motor shaft does happen to use the 1/8" (3.2mm) prop adapter that you mentioned. Aircraft World has them. www.aircraft-world.com. Either the Hyperion 32L or 32S will work fine. The MPJ-4702 will fit the bill as well.

One tip on the plane the myself and several others have found is that the stock thrust angle is WAY off. The plane will dive under full power and pitch up tremendously when you throttle off. I had to shim the rear (prop side) of the motor about 1/4" upward with balsa wedges to correct this tendency. I also used zipties to secure the motor instead of the rubber bands and popsicle sticks that are provided in the kit. Also, I mounted the speed control under the motor mount and cut a 1/2" hole in the front of the plastic mount to provide some airflow across the speed control. This also frees up some space in the crowded compartment on the bottom of the plane.

Bottom line, the 2800KV 400SF would be a great choice but I'd recommend starting with a smaller prop than the 6x4. Fortunately, props are only 2 bucks a pop so you can experiment until you find the sweet spot.

-Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2005, 10:32 AM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Awesome!!!

Thank you all so much, this is great info. Most obliged.

Steve
RCG Plus Member