Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 09, 2005, 01:51 PM
Morris, IL
Joined Mar 2003
28 Posts
Batteries for a Sky Scooter Pro 2

I was at a hobby shop near me and they had a couple 8 cell 1600mah NiMH flight packs marked down to $6 so I bought them. Would this be a good fit for the Sky Scooter Pro 2 airplane. If so, is there anything I need to modify before trying to fly this combo?

Thanks,

John B.
JMBII is online now Find More Posts by JMBII
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2005, 02:04 PM
Moorpark, Ca.
Joined Apr 2004
1,085 Posts
John,
That pack will work fine. I used the radio shack packs of the same specs and they worked very well. Much better than the OEM batt.
Rick
RickAvery is offline Find More Posts by RickAvery
Old Sep 09, 2005, 02:16 PM
Joined May 2005
815 Posts
I built myself a 1800 mAH "AA" size battery with only 7 cells. It provided okay power, but it was too heavy for the plane. I pulled up the nose about 200 feet up and the wings snapped in half. I just had to watch as the body plumeted head-first into the ground. The wing halfs floated down about 35 seconds later. Thanks to gorilla glue it's all back in one piece.

Is this 8-cell battery "AAA"? $6 for 8-cells is a great deal and ought to provide pretty good power.

I repowered my Sky Scooter Pro II with a GWS gearbox and 350 and I think I have better power. The original motor may have been okay, because at the time I hadn't realized my ESC was bad. Oh well.

Michael
caseih is offline Find More Posts by caseih
Old Sep 09, 2005, 02:32 PM
Morris, IL
Joined Mar 2003
28 Posts
The $6 was for GWS 8 cell packs. I think they are normally about 3 times that. I don't know if they were marked wrong or what. Maybe they were supposed to be $16, but I didn't ask. They didn't look dusty like some of the others on the shelf so I just took them up front and paid for them.

John B.
JMBII is online now Find More Posts by JMBII
Old Sep 10, 2005, 07:55 AM
Ky
Joined Feb 2003
1,484 Posts
I use 1600 NIMH packs on my scooter, they work fine, much more power than the 7 cell. My motor came loose from the foam after a couple flights due to heat of the motor. I followed instructions I found here:
http://www.servocity.com/html/sky_sc...fications.html
I cut a hole in the fuse at the back of the motor, glued a piece of plastic spoon for an airscoop. I cut a hole in the other side for the air to go out, this cured the problem.
Dave Barrow is offline Find More Posts by Dave Barrow
Old Sep 10, 2005, 08:58 AM
Moorpark, Ca.
Joined Apr 2004
1,085 Posts
There's a HUGE 'Sky scooter pro II' thread over at rc universe with every imaginable mod for the sky scooter. They are great flying planes. Good luck
Rick
RickAvery is offline Find More Posts by RickAvery