HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old May 08, 2002, 09:25 AM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,997 Posts
New Mini SpeedWing

A previous thread here got me interested in making my own zagi-like micro wing. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&threadid=41058

I cut my own instead of buying the Simi Air wing that the post was talking about. It came out to have an AUW of 5.6oz. using a 7-cell 300mah NiMh battery. The wing loading is only 4.8oz/sq.ft.
It was designed to use the GWS motor direct drive with a 3x2 prop. I took it outside last night for a couple of test hops. I don't have enough yard to fly in so I'll give a full flight report today. This is going to be a very fast wing. I don't have to even throw it hard to get it to flying speed, I just toss it and it MOVES OUT! It should be able to fly around 40 m.p.h. with this motor/prop combo.

Well I'm off to fly. Be back later with a full flight reprot.

-- Acer
Acer is offline Find More Posts by Acer
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2002, 09:26 AM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,997 Posts
Here's the underside. I'm going to bury the battery in my next one now that I know where the C.G. is. The battery is really the only thing that sticks out.
Old May 08, 2002, 09:27 AM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,997 Posts
Last one with a different angle. Very clean lines.
Old May 08, 2002, 10:17 AM
RPV builder & operator
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2001
2,303 Posts
Acer, I'm curious to see how the servos, linkages and horns on the bottom hold up to landing abuse.
Pierre Audette is offline Find More Posts by Pierre Audette
Old May 08, 2002, 10:25 AM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,997 Posts
The servo horns only stick out about 1/8" and the control rods actually touch the bottom of the wing. With the batttery there, there is no way that the linkages can be damaged. Even if I deside to recess the battery the linkages are so close to the bottom of the wing that I don't think it will be a problem. The reason I put everything on the bottom of the wing is so that the top of the wing is as clean as possible. The top of the wing is what does most of the work.

-- Acer
Old May 08, 2002, 01:15 PM
La Grange, Georgia, United States
Joined Nov 2001
797 Posts
Acer,

Another wonderful job on your wing. Can you give us some size information (root chord, tip chord, span, etc ). What kind of airfoil are you using? Since you got your foam cutter going you've been turning out some really professional looking wings!
emoone is offline Find More Posts by emoone
Old May 08, 2002, 02:00 PM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,997 Posts
I don't really want to give out the specifics just yet because I may be kitting it.
Old May 08, 2002, 03:53 PM
La Grange, Georgia, United States
Joined Nov 2001
797 Posts
I don't blame you ..... thats a good looking bird! Good luck and let us know when you get some kits ready.
emoone is offline Find More Posts by emoone
Old May 08, 2002, 05:10 PM
Thats NOT indestructible
London UK
Joined Apr 2002
1,448 Posts
Heya

Hi

I have got plans of the jazz xtreme (from their site) and have scales them down to half size.

It has i wingspan of 60cm and a lenght of18.57cm

Do you think this will work??

If anybody would like a copy give me a shoult

Josh
j8m8l is offline Find More Posts by j8m8l
Old May 08, 2002, 06:01 PM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,997 Posts
Flight Report

Well I just got back from flying my Mini SpeedWing (name will change ) . It launches very easily, there is no need for a fast throw just toss. The wing gets on step right away and tracks very well. It is suprisingly stable for such a small plane. It rolls very well and fast (around 2 rolls per second). It does fall out of loops though. I'll have to probably make the elevons tapered ala Zagi to get it to loop better. The speed I estimate at around 35 m.p.h in light wind. When the wind picks up it is still flyable but slows a little while flying against the wind. It really screams flying down wind. On a 7-cell 300mah NiMh battery it will fly around 10 minutes full throttle.

Although it flies rather fast it can slow down nicely. My preferred method of landing is to cut the throttle and glide it right into my hand!

On my second battery, I climbed to around 100ft. and turned the motor off to see how well it glided. I ACTUALLY CAUGHT A THERMAL! I was amazed that it actually thermaled. This flight lasted around 15 minutes as I climbed to altitude twice and thermaled around, I also flew it fast and on the deck after thermaling.

Overall I'm very happy with the design. I will probably change a few minor things for better performance. I'll also build a second prototype with a thinner airfoil to get the top end speed up. I'm thinking on offering a kit which includes cores, elevons, verticle stabs and a vaccume formed motor mount for around $30.00 (price not set yet). I may also throw in the motor and 2 props if I can become a dealer so that I can get them cheaper.

Any feedback welcomed.

-- Acer
Old May 08, 2002, 06:19 PM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,417 Posts
Does the mini wing need a "fan" stablemate?

CenTexFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CenTexFlyer
Old May 09, 2002, 12:54 AM
New York, NY
Joined Dec 2000
1,297 Posts
How about a 4.5oz baby brother?

Jun Nolasco
nolasco is offline Find More Posts by nolasco
Old May 09, 2002, 11:58 AM
Departing at 'O' dark 30
Sudbury, Ont. Canada
Joined Feb 2002
1,253 Posts
I got some questions for you folks. Did you reverse the connection of the motor to spin backwards? Did you have to reverse the prop as well? How do you keep the prop on the motor shaft?

I am thinking of trying a pusher f-86 sabre and need some help with the set up of the dd ips

thanx

Cass
Cass is offline Find More Posts by Cass
Old May 09, 2002, 01:00 PM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,997 Posts
I just used the Flyzone 3x2 prop made by hobbico for their sky Forve plane. You have to take the spinner off so that you can mount it backwards for a pusher. As for the motor configuration, just plug it into your esc and see if it turns the right way. If it doesnt, just flip it around and plug it back in.

-- Acer
Old May 09, 2002, 08:23 PM
Blue Springs, MO
Joined Apr 2002
54 Posts
Acer,
I would definitely be interested in a kit. Just let me know when you get one available. Or if you need help testing your prototype, I could be your first customer.
JB
KC Wingflyer is offline Find More Posts by KC Wingflyer
Closed Thread