Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 08, 2005, 03:50 PM
Joined Nov 2004
337 Posts
My new AP plane design that works (My 1st AP flight!)

Hi all you photo guys,

I have been reading this forum since January with dreams of aerial photo and finally did it! I made a modified duraplane trainer that was too heavy with a camera and electric motor, so I designed a new one from scratch. I wanted a twin tail-boom pusher and as light as possible. I drew an airfoil and cut a foam wing. Then I made removable tailbooms, elevator, and rudder fins. Then I put landing gear on kind of as an afterthought, but it worked good. I searched the forum for a camera and got the Pentax optio s5i and the Prism switch (awesome combo) and a cheap transmitter to send the video to the ground. I also got video goggles and my friend helps me like up the shots!

Well the test flights went great! The plane has a Himax 2025 geared motor and 3 batteries(motor, video Tx, and Rx power) plus stearable nosewheel, so it ended up pretty heavy…3lbs 1 oz. It has 4 sq. ft. of wing area for a loading of 12.5oz/ft^2. The airframe is suberbly light but all the electrical stuff adds up quick.

I took it off a newly paved road and it took about 200’with a slow climb out.

Anyways, after 2 flights we put the camera on it and it worked great! It took photos and we had good video downlink too! It is so cool!!!

Well I thought I would post some pictures of the plane and some aerial shots too!

I made a pan/tilt mount that I am mounting on now with a new nose design and hope to try that this weekend! It will have 2 receivers; one for flying, and one for the payload operator!

I am also trying to think of how to make it hand launchable…I want to fly it in tight spaces without a road…but I like the pan/tilt versatility

It is so much fun!!! I am scouting out all the places to take new photos now…

Cheers,
Caleb
mrbisset is offline Find More Posts by mrbisset
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2005, 04:25 PM
Oops get the hot glue gun
Lansing, Michigan, USA
Joined Sep 2004
1,240 Posts
Nice plane! It's very satisfying to design & build your own AP plane and then actually get it working and taking pictures.

Interesting idea using a second guy to handle the payload using another TX/Rx.

I just have a landing skid on my AP plane so I can toss it in the air and land about anywhere that is semi flat. Saves weight and no gear to snag in the grass.

Good job.
Gary D.
FoamingInMI is offline Find More Posts by FoamingInMI
Old Sep 08, 2005, 06:21 PM
Peakaboo!
Sakinee, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
1,388 Posts
Nice plane !
Good luck with your new plane and have fun !
Gwelan is offline Find More Posts by Gwelan
Old Sep 09, 2005, 12:44 PM
MasterBlaster
New Jersey Exit 7A
Joined Jan 2005
278 Posts
Nice looking plane and photos.
Congrats!!
I am close to having mine done, work hase been in the way.
Looks very nice! Welcome to the addiction!

Love to see some more pics and details on the plane.
Is the tail elevator only?

Enjoy
Evermax
evermax is offline Find More Posts by evermax
Old Sep 09, 2005, 02:26 PM
Joined Nov 2004
337 Posts
Hi all, thanks for the replys! Yes, there is no rudders...I will have to change that because it is very hard to take off with some cross wind. And I like flying flat turns to get the camera in the right position and its hard with just ailerons. I am thinking of adding foam wing tips with about 10 deg of dihedral. The camera and electronics setup are great, no need to mess with that.

I have some videos that show takeoff and landing, is there anyway to post them on RCgroups? They are like 30 Meg each!

Caleb
mrbisset is offline Find More Posts by mrbisset
Old Sep 09, 2005, 10:50 PM
ShOP loCAL FaRMers
Caffe-nation
Joined Jan 2004
650 Posts
Great plane, Great shots! Congrats!

Would love to see more detail of rear LG....looks nice.

I think 30 Meg is too big for the galleries...maybe edit and keep the best of the best for posting.

Cheers, PSG
Puget Sound Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Puget Sound Flyer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2005, 10:18 AM
Peakaboo!
Sakinee, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
1,388 Posts
The wings and tailfeathers reminds me the Titanic Airlines Musketier.
http://www.titanic-airlines.de/framesetf.htm
Gwelan is offline Find More Posts by Gwelan