HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2005, 10:57 PM
Joined Sep 2004
451 Posts
Question
mini/micro solenoid air valves

I'm looking for micro or mini solenoid activated air valves. They must be lightweight and very small. I have been looking on the net but can't seem to find anything. For fun I'm building a PIC controlled Air retract system and wanted to use these for opening and closing the air supply to the retracts instead of using sevos.

Anyone have any sources or ideas? Someone has to manufacture these!

I was also thinking of fabricating my own if need be, but that is only if I desperately have to

Thanks in advance
mrbaseballny is offline Find More Posts by mrbaseballny
Last edited by mrbaseballny; Sep 08, 2005 at 10:36 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2005, 11:07 PM
supreme being of leisure
Tel Aviv, Israel
Joined Jul 2004
2,093 Posts
have you checked tool shops specializing in pneumatics?

and the TOW missiles use these for controlling the pistons that move the tail fins. the ones i have are borg-warner brand and pretty small. i'm guessing one valve like this could control the whole system. will post more on these when i get to them...

dave
ZAGNUT is online now Find More Posts by ZAGNUT
Old Sep 08, 2005, 01:23 AM
"MAYONNAISE"
Le Treport, France
Joined Jun 2004
1,397 Posts
Hi, mr Baseball

Some good air Electro-valves are manufactured by the same who build the Graupner JETCATs Electronic control units.they're driven by a servo signal ... yessss
The Photo is not so good, but it seems to be Jet Tronics ...

Yes, Here ! :

http://www.intairco.net/default.asp?...nuOpen=p7menu7

Alain
Acetronics is offline Find More Posts by Acetronics
Last edited by Acetronics; Sep 08, 2005 at 02:05 AM.
Old Sep 08, 2005, 12:46 PM
Joined Sep 2004
451 Posts
Has anyone had any experiene with these X-Valves from Parker?? I've attached a PDf spec sheeet. I would like to find out where to get these and the prices.

Any thoughts??
Old Sep 08, 2005, 02:51 PM
United States, CA, Norwalk
Joined Apr 2004
2,710 Posts
I can see two potential problems with using these valves for retracts;

1) if you are using double acting cylinders on the retracts (1 hose pressurized to retract gear, the other hose pressurized to extend gear) you need a 4 way valve. These valves are 3 way, so in order to use them you would need two. At 4.5 grams each, that's still not much weight.

2) A latching valve would be best so you only have to apply power to the coil momentarily. The coils on these valves would draw about 200 MA at 5 volts, and that power would have to be applied for as long as you want to hold air to extend or retract the gear. If your gear mechanically locks, that may not be a consideration.

Dan
Dan Baldwin is online now Find More Posts by Dan Baldwin
Old Sep 08, 2005, 05:39 PM
UK
Joined Sep 2005
298 Posts
How about a small servo and a lego valve? I know it's not hi tech, but it's small, takes a servo input and might work for some lowish pressure applications, especially if you have a pump on board to compensate for any leakage. It's also cheap as chips.
MatC is offline Find More Posts by MatC
Old Sep 08, 2005, 08:28 PM
Joined Sep 2004
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatC
How about a small servo and a lego valve? I know it's not hi tech, but it's small, takes a servo input and might work for some lowish pressure applications, especially if you have a pump on board to compensate for any leakage. It's also cheap as chips.
Can you point me toward this lego valve your speaking of? I'm assuming your speaking about the lego toys right
Old Sep 09, 2005, 01:59 AM
UK
Joined Sep 2005
298 Posts
Yep, lego toys. If I ever build an EDF jet, it will have lego retracts. Simple, cheap, light. Not recommended for that 5000 psi 737 undercarriage, but ideal for medium size models.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?P=4694
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?P=4694b

Bricklink is like a big ebay-style thing for lego bricks... lots of good sellers on there, and you can buy the bricks individually. If you want to try them, buy some of these and epoxy them to the top for convenient linking to your servos:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?P=32013

Lego also do cylinders (2793c01), pumps, tubing, etc. etc. Just in case of tubing/pneumatic failure (eg a tube popping off) it might be best to have your u/c spring down by default
MatC is offline Find More Posts by MatC
Old Sep 21, 2005, 10:20 AM
Master of 1 point landing
Naperville, IL
Joined Jul 2005
2,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaseballny
I'm looking for micro or mini solenoid activated air valves. They must be lightweight and very small. I have been looking on the net but can't seem to find anything. For fun I'm building a PIC controlled Air retract system and wanted to use these for opening and closing the air supply to the retracts instead of using sevos.

Anyone have any sources or ideas? Someone has to manufacture these!

I was also thinking of fabricating my own if need be, but that is only if I desperately have to

Thanks in advance
Sort of depends upon your flow requirements and pressure supply ranges - what are you using it for, what supply presure? I use two and three way parker valves that are diaphram/air actuated with 20-30 PSI actuation pressure requirement. They weight <100g
ImaBiggles is offline Find More Posts by ImaBiggles
Old Sep 21, 2005, 11:27 AM
Joined Sep 2004
451 Posts
I need at least 100 PSI, flow isn't that much of a problem right now, as all the valves are rated much higher than I would ever need. The problem with parker is that they require at least a $250 order, and to just test the X-Valve out it wouldn't be practical. I would be stuck with the extras if it didn't work out to be what I needed. Ther was a post about the world smallest retracts, and I PM'd the author but he has yet to share any info on the valves he uses. Once I get this all owrked out I plan on releasing it as a DIY project for eveyone to use if they so choose.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 12:29 PM
Naperville, IL
Joined Jul 2005
2,841 Posts
Quote:
I need at least 100 PSI, flow isn't that much of a problem right now, as all the valves are rated much higher than I would ever need. The problem with parker is that they require at least a $250 order, and to just test the X-Valve out it wouldn't be practical. I would be stuck with the extras if it didn't work out to be what I needed. Ther was a post about the world smallest retracts, and I PM'd the author but he has yet to share any info on the valves he uses. Once I get this all owrked out I plan on releasing it as a DIY project for eveyone to use if they so choose.

WHAT PRESSURE DO YOU HAVE FOR ACTUATION not pressure u are controlling. Are you valving a liquid or gas?
Old Sep 21, 2005, 12:55 PM
Joined Sep 2004
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaBiggles
WHAT PRESSURE DO YOU HAVE FOR ACTUATION not pressure u are controlling. Are you valving a liquid or gas?
AIR, as in the title of this thread " "........air valves"as I said in my first post ---"wanted to use these for opening and closing the air supply to the retracts" other wise I would have named this thread " .....gas valves" or "......liquid valves"
Old Sep 21, 2005, 01:05 PM
Dimension Engineering
Akron, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
1,705 Posts
Honestly you'll be hard pressed to find a decent solenoid valve that will be lighter and cheaper than something running from a $10 five gram servo. The benefit of solenoid valves is that they'll run for decades, which isn't a major issue here. A rotor valve running from a servo would be not too bad to fabricate from telescoping tubing, and you could keep the whole thing under 15 grams without any trouble.
Comatose is offline Find More Posts by Comatose
Old Sep 21, 2005, 07:32 PM
Naperville, IL
Joined Jul 2005
2,841 Posts
Quote:
AIR, as in the title of this thread " "........air valves"as I said in my first post ---"wanted to use these for opening and closing the air supply to the retracts" other wise I would have named this thread " .....gas valves" or "......liquid valves"
edit - never mind. I was going to say something like have fun finding help with that attitude, but decided against it
Last edited by ImaBiggles; Sep 21, 2005 at 07:41 PM.