HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2005, 12:31 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,301 Posts
Build Log
All wood, RT Models MiG-15

Been over two yrs since I built an EDF. Thought it was about time, since I'm down to flying only one..and thats a Wattage Mig!

I won't get too verbally involved in explanations or the why's and whatfor's. just a pictorial of my progress. I have nothing against high powered fiberglass kits, but wood is just this oldtimers preferance. The jet is quite a good size at 39" WS. But the AUW will be quite low. It is very similar to my enlarged Berkeley Crusader in type of construction.

My choice of power will be the Mini-Fan and Astro 805W 3-T. Will use PQ-2200-3s2p C.C. Phoenix 45. Will have glass intake and exaust ducting.

I started this morning with the stabilators. Will move on to the vert stab and wing next. http://rtmodels.com/products/smlMig.htm

Steve
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Last edited by St. Martin; Sep 08, 2005 at 04:55 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2005, 06:55 PM
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2002
141 Posts
Steve
Looks good . About the same size of the Mig I'm building from K&A models. It says on the web site that yours would be handlaunchable. Yours would be lighter than mine probably because of the balsa built. Good luck and have fun!
Arief is offline Find More Posts by Arief
Old Sep 07, 2005, 06:58 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,535 Posts
Hi Steve,

Nice project, good to hear from you again.

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Sep 07, 2005, 07:27 PM
one game away...
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Apr 2004
3,891 Posts
that's nice.....subscribed!

matt
PerfectStranger is offline Find More Posts by PerfectStranger
Old Sep 07, 2005, 07:53 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,090 Posts
uh huh! You forgot to tell me about this one! Didn't think I'd find it, did you?

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Sep 07, 2005, 07:54 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,301 Posts
Thanx guy's! Cheer's Eric! I'm framing the vert. stab now. I'll be back later. For any one thinking of building this..the left stab, on the plan, is shorter in span by 1/8". I added some scrap sheet to the root. I had better check the wing plan before framing.

Steve
Old Sep 07, 2005, 07:55 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan
uh huh! You forgot to tell me about this one! Didn't think I'd find it, did you?

J

HA!! I was just getting ready to email you, CB!

Steve
Old Sep 07, 2005, 08:54 PM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,778 Posts
Cool bird, and i agree sometimes a nice bash is the best, plus with htis one it will get you a nice light ripper. I have one about 90 percent complete. Although since it was made for 609 make sure to get aquainted with the holes for the inlet path, there not ideal bigger than 609 but you should be alright. I also split mine just behind the wings so cells will be inderted from the break point. Makes maintance and flying easier later on.

Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old Sep 07, 2005, 10:21 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,301 Posts
Hi Barry, I plan on making a hatch forward of the plans location. The inlet will actually be smaller than the 609/KY size given. I will laminate balsa in the bulkheads to fit the diff in ducting size. This will also give more room for the cells. The fan will be moved aft, rear of the wing.

Rudder pretty much framed. Red arrow designates area to use 1/32 ply. I have to make a template from the plans to trim the bottom sheeting. Rear block is for bearing surface. Very light construction. Just like old time Berkeley or Jetco types. Of course getting the fan placement will be important. Don't want to get tail heavy!

Steve
Old Sep 07, 2005, 10:36 PM
Redmond, WA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
750 Posts
LOL! Good to hear from you, Steve, I've got one of the RT kits too, but with the foam wing option. All that planking on the fuse pushed down my build queue, but I'll definitely watch this thread to work up my courage.

Regards,
Steve Guty
sguty is offline Find More Posts by sguty
Old Sep 07, 2005, 10:40 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,301 Posts
Hi Steve! Good to hear from you! Any use of the T-33 ducts yet?

Steve
Old Sep 07, 2005, 11:13 PM
Ocala, Fla
Joined Mar 2002
262 Posts
Hi Steve,

Great to see you getting around to doing this one. This was actually RT's flagship bird that started RT Models back in Oct 2000. Once I bought Ronny out I weeded out a few I had no interest in kitting.

This Mig kit your doing was later updated to a CAD plan and several changes were made to the design although small did make for a better build and corrected some of the flaws the orig plan had on it. But it is still strip planked which puts alot of people off from doing one. Personally I like this old school style of building and have no problems with strip planking.

The orig prototype was flown on the Ky fan and a AP motor and another E zone member did one like that in his and was happy with it as well. I know of several more with 609's in them. I do have video of one that had a mini fan and a very low tec motor Brushed IIRC I'll get it on the Mig page in the next day or so.

Good luck in your build I think you will be happy with it in the end. As it does fly very well. If you have any questions just ask but pretty much straight forward build.

I have slowly been getting out of the EDF kit market as most of you guys know my true love is anything of a Canadian market and have been spending 90% of my time on new designs of them. A big 120" Twin Otter has my name all over it

Also showing a screen shot of the revised plans just incase anyone is interested.

Thanks,
Mark
Mark Turner is offline Find More Posts by Mark Turner
Old Sep 07, 2005, 11:34 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,301 Posts
Hi Mark I was going to email you shortly on starting the thread. But, I just got too involved in the building today. I love this kind of build. For those who donot like strip planking, I cannot think of any reason why it would not lend itself to foam and glass. There are some enterprising workers with foam on the ezone.

I put off building this till I became a lipo user. Took it out last week and have been running the game plan through my head. I think I have everything worked out.

Steve
Old Sep 08, 2005, 01:25 AM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,778 Posts
I like the strip construction on it, and actually its a perfect learner for the application of strip construction cuse it's such a easy lay out. So easy I actually did the bottom of mine in one sheet with slits in it.

Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old Sep 08, 2005, 02:35 AM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkamarm2000
So easy I actually did the bottom of mine in one sheet with slits in it.

Barry

ouch... to me Barry, that is hard work. I never get the slits the proper width. Show some pics, Barry. Or anyone in the build progress.

Steve