SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 07, 2005, 12:52 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,970 Posts
What is the best RTF chopper for beginners?

In your opinion, what's the best place to start with an RTF heli?
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2005, 01:09 PM
Carbon based lifeform
Copenhagen
Joined Apr 2005
257 Posts
There is no easy answer to that, it all depends what you want besides a heli.

Do you like tinkering in your workshop ?, is it a must to be able to fly outdoors ? would you also like to able to fly indoor ?, would you like the ability to move some of the gear from your first heli to second ? etc.

The Electric Helicopter Beginner's Guide has a lot of good info that can help you decide. Once you know which direction you want to go, you can get all the help you need here.

Personally I just started out 6 month ago and I decided to go for a simple indoor model so that I would not be dependent on flying fields/weather. I wanted as much stick-time as possible and as little downtime as possible.
It also came complete with everything I needed, including a charger.

This was a Hirobo XRB SR, that as an added bonus are much easier to fly than "a real" heli because of the extra main rotor.

This heli helped me take the next step into a larger outdoor heli that I got about a month ago.

Whatever you do, go for a heli with low repair cost and high availability of spare parts in the area you live.

Oh, one more thing, most "ready to fly" models are really more like "ready to tinker with"
I actually flow the XRB right out of the box, but within the first hour realized that I needed to learn how to adjust the blades and stuff.

Good luck deciding...
/Brian
brian.pedersen is offline Find More Posts by brian.pedersen
Old Sep 07, 2005, 01:14 PM
Platinum Member
Canada
Joined Dec 2004
107 Posts
Go for the hirobo LAMA. Other RTF choppers will likely disscourage you then encourage you. The LAMA is also easy to sell used afterwards.
astelz is offline Find More Posts by astelz
Old Sep 07, 2005, 02:55 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,803 Posts
The LAMA is not like any regular heli though. It is inherently stable unlike most helis.

Check out the EHBG, let us know your budget and what you expect to do.

FB
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Sep 07, 2005, 03:20 PM
Carbon based lifeform
Copenhagen
Joined Apr 2005
257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Bronk
The LAMA is not like any regular heli though. It is inherently stable unlike most helis.
This is true, but there is nothing wrong with learning in a simplified context.
As long as you dont fool yourself into believing you can fly anything once you learned how to hover the XRB.

I found it to be sufficiently challenging to start out with the XRB/Lama, while easy enough to still be fun.
It gave me the kickstart I needed, it helped me build up some basic reflexes and even now that I have a "real" heli, I still learn alot from flying it while at the same time I have a lot of fun.

I expect to fly it all winter and I would recommend it anytime to somebody just starting out in RC helis.

Regards
/Brian
brian.pedersen is offline Find More Posts by brian.pedersen
Last edited by brian.pedersen; Sep 07, 2005 at 03:35 PM.
Old Sep 07, 2005, 06:13 PM
So. Cal. USA
Joined Jun 2005
428 Posts
Currently the best pre-built Heli I have seen is, you can find a ARK-400 in a RTF setup. It will still need you to install the electronics. Other than that you have the Shogun but it is not as robust. These are full functioning helis like the big boys.

Hahaha if you want larger you can get a pre-built raptor and convert it to electric.

Smaller helis are the XRB and the Blade CP. The XRB is smaller and safe to fly in your living room. The Blade CP needs more room with out wind like a empty garage or beter.

However a Sim is the best RTF heli for learning in my experience.
Tafletch is offline Find More Posts by Tafletch
Old Sep 07, 2005, 10:33 PM
Master ReKitter
San Diego,Ca, USA
Joined Aug 2000
2,756 Posts
Are there regular sized helis that are RTF? not ARF? The only RTF's I have seen, fall in the micro classification. If you have to add anything other than batteries to make it fly, it's not RTF.
uglyplane is offline Find More Posts by uglyplane