SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 06, 2005, 07:11 PM
California
Joined Aug 2004
42 Posts
Nesail.com=Poor Experience!

I recently had what I feel is poor sales/service experience with Northeast Sailplane products. I placed a first time ever order online on 08/22/05 for a motor and esc package. My credit card was billed for the full amount of $218.00 the next day on 08/23/05. I called on 08/30/05 after hours and left a msg to check status of the order. I asked that someone please call me the next day. After not receiving a call the next day, I called again and
attempted to check status of my order. The phone was answered by what sounded like a very stressed individual named Sal who identified himself as the owner. I inquired about my order and he hurriedly told me that it should have shipped. He said he was unable to check status because both his customer service girls were not there. I asked him if he could at least provide me some tracking numbers on the shipment. He said "Oh no, I don't know how to check that info and I don't want to know how". I was a little puzzled that the owner of the company would not want to know how to better assist his customers but I let that be considering it sounded like he was having a rough day. I asked him to please have someone call me the next day. Next day rolls around and again no one calls me. I once again place a call on 09/01/05 and speak to a customer service rep. I inquire about the status and am told that the motor is on backorder and nothing has shipped. I promptly cancel the order and take my business elsewhere. I feel it's a poor business practice to charge your customers credit card for the full amount of the sale. Sit on the order for 10 days and not provide any communication to your customers if your order will not be shipped in a timely manner. At this point, I will not place any future orders with this company.
joe84780 is offline Find More Posts by joe84780
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2005, 12:05 AM
Model Bender
Australia, NSW, Newcastle
Joined Jun 2004
2,870 Posts
Unfortunately, charging upfront is a very common occurence nowadays due to the increasing rate of CC fraud. Always a good idea to phone or email to ask if products are in stock before ordering, and sometimes even obtain a shipping date before paying up front.

Still, there's no excuse for poor customer service like this.
OzDragonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by OzDragonFlyer
Old Sep 07, 2005, 12:43 AM
Fly Lite Fly Right
Joined Aug 2004
1,144 Posts
Have ordered from that company ( Sal ) one time years ago .
Almost everyone I run into says the same thing ( I ordered there one time )
Did not like the product or the service .
Never again .
Happymcc is offline Find More Posts by Happymcc
Old Sep 07, 2005, 09:47 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,281 Posts
The tale of two companies.
I've been doing business with NSP for years with never a problem. Great products and good advice with fine service on every occasion. There were times when Sal talked me into a lesser priced item because what I wanted was overkill. He always took the time to answer all my questions and explain his solution.
Can I be so fortunate to always catch Sal in a good mood or are some folks over-reacting?

BM
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Sep 07, 2005, 10:32 PM
WORK!
Joined Jul 2002
407 Posts
The experiences with Nesail seems to cover the gamut from excellent to nightmarish. It is definitely a Jekyll and Hyde type of company. I recently ordered a plane without a hiccup. I was charged more than what was estimated for shipping. It was what I thought a calculated overcharge. More than what was estimated, but not so high that I wanted to take the energy to complain. Like the plane though!
Howard
hweird is offline Find More Posts by hweird
Old Sep 08, 2005, 05:14 AM
My other TX is a P4000.
USA, VA, Raphine
Joined Sep 2002
2,254 Posts
Of course, the dollar (or lack thereof, in this case) speaks much more mightly than any possible love/hate posting.

It's hard to debate the lack of sales.

-joedy
Joedy is offline Find More Posts by Joedy
Old Sep 08, 2005, 10:55 AM
United States, NY, Spencerport
Joined Oct 2001
2,801 Posts
Howard,

Was it a shipping ESTIMATE on your invoice? I mean, were those exact words used? If so, you don't have anything to complain about. It's right there in black and white clearly implying that it is only an ESTIMATE, and the actual shipping cost might be signifigantly different. Considering the fuel prices lately, you can't reasonably expect actual shipping to be lower than what's quoted you...

Not necessarily defending NSP here. It's just that people are so darned sensitive about NSP that they can't even operate like a normal business without people jumping on every little thing and screaming, "SEE?!?!?! NSP SCREWED ME TOO!!!"

It pays to be an educated consumer. It pays to know a company's policies and practices before you order. If you don't, you have nothing to complain about.
mkirsch1 is offline Find More Posts by mkirsch1
Old Sep 08, 2005, 02:56 PM
sal
NSP (Vermont)
Joined Aug 2000
2,695 Posts
Joe, I am sorry that your experience with NSP was not a satisfactory one. I am also suprised to hear that you were not contacted for a backorder situation. We try very hard NOT to charge someone unless the product is ready to ship. Unfortunately sometime the demand on a particular product exceeds both our stock and our ability to keep track of inventory.

Please understand this is not an excuse but merely an explanation. You should have gotten better information. Although we still have a lot of bugs to work out, every month we are improving our customer service. I can promise you that your situation will be the topic of discussion at our next Thursday lunch meeting.

BTW... when you called me I was the only one available on the phone. Both Carolyn and Janet were out, so I probably did sound a little stressed.
I am the owner, buyer, sales guy, R&D, and technical support. I have employees for customer service which should do a much better job of it than I can.

I certainly can understand your decision to look elsewhere but if you would like to give us a another try, I will like to offer you $20.00 off on your next order. Please try to make the order a minimum of $50.00. Please ask for me (my name is Sal) and I will personally make sure you are given a good deal and you WILL be taken care of properly.
sal is offline Find More Posts by sal
Old Sep 08, 2005, 05:35 PM
WORK!
Joined Jul 2002
407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkirsch1
Howard,

Was it a shipping ESTIMATE on your invoice? I mean, were those exact words used? If so, you don't have anything to complain about. It's right there in black and white clearly implying that it is only an ESTIMATE, and the actual shipping cost might be signifigantly different. Considering the fuel prices lately, you can't reasonably expect actual shipping to be lower than what's quoted you...

Not necessarily defending NSP here. It's just that people are so darned sensitive about NSP that they can't even operate like a normal business without people jumping on every little thing and screaming, "SEE?!?!?! NSP SCREWED ME TOO!!!"

It pays to be an educated consumer. It pays to know a company's policies and practices before you order. If you don't, you have nothing to complain about.
This order was a couple months ago before the recent escalation in fuel costs. This is the only company I have purchased product in the last six months or longer that estimates the shipping at the conclusion of their online ordering. There is no need to estimate; the order's shipping location, size and weight are known at the exit point of the order. This is a perception issue. Very important in dealing with customers. If they told me my estimated shipping charges were going to be $12.00 I could judge whether the total price is justified. If I accept and they end up being actually $8.00, my expectations are exceeded. Much better then the opposite - estimated charges are $12.00 and end up being $16.00. This is not the kind of clear communications that contributes to a companies' good will, but for me created mistrust. You may not agree, I don't care, this is how I reacted.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't buy from them again, just that it could of been handled better.

sal, btw, good to see you back on the forum!
Howard
hweird is offline Find More Posts by hweird
Last edited by hweird; Sep 08, 2005 at 11:54 PM.
Old Sep 08, 2005, 05:39 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,181 Posts
That's the way to do it Sal! Good on you. We all have good days - and not so good ones too.

I have not yet placed an order through you - but will do it someday.

JimNM
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Sep 08, 2005, 09:02 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
I'm still waiting for my hat
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
Old Sep 08, 2005, 11:50 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,686 Posts
Yep that's sal. Crazy one minute Cool the next. I will say this, I call and when I speak to Caroline, I always get good service. When I call and get sal its a crap shoot (sometimes he is really great and sometimes he can be in a crappy mood).

I was sitting the fence one day about ordering this plane on the site. Its a molded $500 2.5 meter (mystery E? LITTLE information on the website about it so I had to call and ask.), and it looked interesting. I called asked a few questions, sal wasn't really rude and he wasn't really helpful. But it soured me on the buying the plane at that moment. I might still get it in the future and when I do I will call Sal and Caroline. But a few minutes of "sweet talk" and I would have probably bought the plane on the spot.

Please understand this isn't a condemnation of Sal or nesail. I still buy from them about as much as I buy from anyone. But its more of feed back for sal...

Jay
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
Old Sep 09, 2005, 09:42 AM
My other TX is a P4000.
USA, VA, Raphine
Joined Sep 2002
2,254 Posts
Let's see here....

Online order.

Two long distance phone calls.

10 days of pre-billing and no notification of back order.

Business owner says that he can't help the customer with their $218.00 order.

Another long distance phone call.

Cancelled order and took business elsewhere.

Am I being unreasonable in presuming that a 20.00 compensation offer is supposed to pay for the phone calls, the grief of the experience and foster a sense of new found trust?

This is not an on-going NSP rant. This poster is new to RCGroups; he only has 8 posts to his account.

-joedy
Old Sep 09, 2005, 12:33 PM
sal
NSP (Vermont)
Joined Aug 2000
2,695 Posts
Joedy...Sometimes you can open a dialog with people and sometimes you can't. It is obvious that in your case I cannot. I would say as long as you are posting it IS an on going rant.
sal is offline Find More Posts by sal
Old Sep 09, 2005, 03:40 PM
My other TX is a P4000.
USA, VA, Raphine
Joined Sep 2002
2,254 Posts
No, I disagree. A "rant" by definition is a single person posting repeatedly about the same experience whether the resolution has been effected or not.

In this particular case, a new RCGroups member has posted this thread. It's aparent that this is not a continuation of another thread.

I posted a rhetorical question. Namely, at what point does the relationship between a reasonable customer and a business pass beyond the point of no return? I am not questioning the facts of this experience (they are, evidently, not in contest), but rather the events that led up to the absolution of the potential new customer's business relationship with NSP.

I have no material substance to add to this thread other that to rhetorically pose the question of whether a potential customer is "worth" more than twenty dollars as an offer of consolation. Are they worth fifty dollars? Are they worth one hundred dollars. Are they considered an incalculable worth?

It's a given assumption that, with exception of a few individuals, the value (or "worth") of devoted customers is considered critically valuable to any successful business.

While I sincerely hope otherwise, I feel that the point where trust was broken in this transaction is beyond the reach of any consolation offer. But this can be a good thing if the lessons learned from the experience can be used to ensure that it does not happen again to future potential customers.

I hope that this can be the case in this situation.

-joedy