SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 07, 2002, 04:25 PM
Profiled Interfractionalist
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
4,020 Posts
Battery discharge/equalizing trays/racks that the cars guys use

I've seen these battery 'discharge/equalizing' trays/racks that the cars guys use.

Might be a little tough to set up for our kind of packs, but I'm thinking that this might be just the ticket for that 'once in a while' conditioning phase.

One would have to tap into each cell individually(almost impossible on end to end packs). Then discharge each cell to 0? Or ?.
Sure would 'level' the pack out, wouldn't it ?.

Any thoughts ?.
William A is offline Find More Posts by William A
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2002, 08:21 AM
Old Desert Rat
Rimrock AZ. USA
Joined Mar 2000
1,113 Posts
I don't think it would be worth the effort. A slow charge will do the same thing.
I only discharge individual cells if I'm looking for a bad cell or building a pack out of used batteries.
Arizona Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Arizona Chuck
Old May 08, 2002, 08:41 AM
..teach monkeys to fly..
Ottawa Intl, Canada
Joined Oct 2000
364 Posts
I have a 12 cell pack of 1200's that came bundled with my Astro 15G more than ten years ago. It doesn't see much service, so YMMV, but I soldered either 32 or 40 ohm (I forget exactly which, or the wattage, which is either 1/2 or 1) resistors across each cell, causing each cell to discharge to zero over a few days.

It takes a few cycles to get full capacity out of the packs, but judging from the voltage at the end of charge, their resistance hasn't changed, and they are balanced. The way they dump at the end is a bit of a disadvantage, in a way, since Murphy will ensure I'm downwind, low and inverted when it happens. :eek

Marten
Marten is offline Find More Posts by Marten