HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 02, 2001, 02:00 PM
Gravity Hating RC Pilot
Newton, MA
Joined Nov 2000
159 Posts
hitec flash 5x series for low cost with mixing and 5 channels or futaba t6xa or such for 6 channels both are good
dbhenry1234 is offline Find More Posts by dbhenry1234
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2001, 02:10 PM
Austin, Texas USA
Joined Mar 2001
848 Posts
I am glad your are smart enough to think ahead and know that you need 5 channels sooner or later. I wish I had been.
I have had very good luck with the 4 and 5 channel Hitec Flash series. I bought a 4, then had to get a 5 channel. Wish I bought a 5 channel first, but now I have a buddy box for my little brother.
The new Flash 5SX from Hitec has a 5 model memory as well. I think it is the best bang for the buck. Plus, you can get a glider version that comes with a mini receiver and mini servos so that you are not spending money on useless parts for what you need.
http://www.hitecrcd.com/Catalog/Air/...ash5_sysx.html
sf_247 is offline Find More Posts by sf_247
Old May 02, 2001, 02:22 PM
Greenville, SC
Joined Nov 2000
148 Posts
The hitec flash 5x. It is a great TX with just the right amount of mixing abilities for the sport flier. A great price too.

-Matt
afterburn27 is offline Find More Posts by afterburn27
Old May 02, 2001, 03:13 PM
Most Exalted Windbag
Newark, DE USA
Joined May 2001
1,632 Posts
You guys are fast. Thanks a lot. I'll look at the Flash. The bit about coming with small servos is a good point. I thought I saw one or more "TX only" for sale. I'm going ultralight on the IFO, but regular tiny will probably be ok for the Fokker.

I'm glad to be getting back into flying. I didn't like the "organization" of the field. I just want to go to a park and fly. I'll be responsible.
Red Baron 47 is offline Find More Posts by Red Baron 47
Old May 02, 2001, 05:18 PM
Function Over Form
Connecticut
Joined Feb 2000
1,043 Posts
why get the Hitec Crap? (start flaming me)
Get JR, 652 is a damn nice 6 channel radio.
They make the 421x? That is 5 channel.
BillH is offline Find More Posts by BillH
Old May 02, 2001, 06:12 PM
Lynnwood, WA USA
Joined Jan 2000
547 Posts
The Flash 5x has worked flawlessly for me also.

BillH, I won't flame you, but I'd like to know why you consider Hitec "crap" in comparison to JR.

MMGM
MMGM is offline Find More Posts by MMGM
Old May 02, 2001, 06:19 PM
Function Over Form
Connecticut
Joined Feb 2000
1,043 Posts
ah mgmm, Its not crap, Im just loyal to JR gear.
Old May 02, 2001, 07:17 PM
Austin, Texas USA
Joined Mar 2001
848 Posts
Why call something crap if it is not crap, especially if someone is asking for an honest opinion to help them out?
sf_247 is offline Find More Posts by sf_247
Old May 02, 2001, 07:53 PM
Function Over Form
Connecticut
Joined Feb 2000
1,043 Posts
well, their servo's are crap when it comes to the leads being really weak. They could be better.
Old May 03, 2001, 01:54 AM
Most Exalted Windbag
Newark, DE USA
Joined May 2001
1,632 Posts
Best 4 - 5 channel transmitter?

Hi folks, newbie here

I'm planning on getting into electric RC. I flew a fuel plane around 10 years ago. Also tried an RTF $150 electric back then. Only a "real pilot" friend ever got it off the ground, then it crashed into a hangar and was totaled. The technology seems much improved now.

I'm going to start with a Mini IFO. I have plenty of questions about that, but I'll address it in other messages. There's still much I haven't read yet. Later I'd like a slow, scale Fokker Triplane. From what I've seen, they're harder to build and don't crash as well as a Mini.

Taking pictures with a disposable camera sounds good too. I want full rudder, elevator, ailerons. Who knows what for the future?

I want to buy a good transmitter now and use it for all planes. What do you think? 5 channel? I need the "mixing" feature for the Mini. I want to vary the sensitivity of the controls. In other words, "loaded."

I had a high end 6 or so channel Futaba when I had gas. It served me well. Are they still good? I don't think I'm starting a flame war. I browsed this group and the "Consumer" group and didn't see anything to help me.

We've had 10 years of technology. What should I look for now?

TIA
Red Baron 47 is offline Find More Posts by Red Baron 47
Old May 04, 2001, 03:07 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts

I have several Flash 5 and 5x's and they have worked flawlessly for me. I have other brand transmitters as well (Futaba), but Hitec products (and service!!) are top quality I think.
Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
Old May 04, 2001, 03:53 PM
El Cajon, CA, USA
Joined Feb 2001
801 Posts
I'm not pushing a 4 channel radio but.....

Every time Hobbypeople has a sale I have seen the Flash 4x computer radios on sale for 129 bucks. Thats a transmitter, reciever, 3 servos, nicd tx pack and rx pack, and little wall charger.

How can you beat that for an indroductory radio. I bought a second one just for the extra servos, rx, and the buddy box feature.

Munch is offline Find More Posts by Munch
Old May 04, 2001, 08:59 PM
Function Over Form
Connecticut
Joined Feb 2000
1,043 Posts
Jr is also nice, if not a little more expensive.

Well bottom line is this, its a lot easier to keep everthing you got same brand most of the time. JR, Hitec, and Futabe, all the servo's will work just fine. Wathout for airtronics, you have to change around some wires on the servo's.
Old May 05, 2001, 11:44 AM
Shelton Wa. USA
Joined Feb 2000
203 Posts
Hitec flash 5 it is great !!
seabee is offline Find More Posts by seabee
Old May 05, 2001, 02:11 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,803 Posts
Go all the way with a Flash 5X. It is a much better radio then the 4 channel!
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk