HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 07, 2002, 07:28 AM
Spring Valley. MN
Joined Jun 2000
4,458 Posts
Found a $30 rc plane a wal-mart

heres afew pics, I havnt tried it out yet but for 30 bucks it might just be the ticket for young pilots. It's a single channel coil accuated rudder so it should be more responsive than the throttle differential type steering. Hopefully I will get a chance to try it out later today
buzzsaw 46 is offline Find More Posts by buzzsaw 46
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2002, 07:33 AM
Spring Valley. MN
Joined Jun 2000
4,458 Posts
Weight is 3 3/4 oz with about 60sq" area 21.5" span
Old May 07, 2002, 08:40 AM
Northside Naptown
Joined Apr 2002
196 Posts
Junk

I had two of those, took the first back because it didn't work, took the second back for the same reason. I could never get it to fly for more than thirty seconds, and the worst part is the thing needs about $15 worth of batteries.
Dave B is offline Find More Posts by Dave B
Old May 07, 2002, 09:01 AM
Spring Valley. MN
Joined Jun 2000
4,458 Posts
Oh well it looked like it might be worth a try and it's only 30 bucks and if it dont work I'll gut it and make it work with real gear.
Old May 07, 2002, 09:05 AM
Woodland, CA , USA
Joined Sep 2001
288 Posts
Trig, How well does it glide? Is it stalling? With that long tail moment, may be tail heavy. Check cg.

Buzz, Is it balanced ok? Have also heard of high rate of radio failure on these. good luck, Steve.
weflyon is offline Find More Posts by weflyon
Old May 07, 2002, 11:05 AM
Northside Naptown
Joined Apr 2002
196 Posts
glide?

Didn't really have anything to do with how well it would glide, the plane's are completely set up at the factory. The problem was the battery which is inside the plane wouldn't run the prop for more than 30 seconds, the directions say the plane will go for 90.
Dave B is offline Find More Posts by Dave B
Old May 07, 2002, 12:37 PM
Woodland, CA , USA
Joined Sep 2001
288 Posts
Just thought that proper balance would help. what's the charger setup? May need to be cycled a few times and/or timing on the charge is to short. Can you get to the battery to check for temp at charging? Do the instructions state type of battery? Steve
weflyon is offline Find More Posts by weflyon
Old May 07, 2002, 03:35 PM
Spring Valley. MN
Joined Jun 2000
4,458 Posts
I got a chance to fly it once this morning and I'm going to dissagree with Trig, though not the easiest plane to fly it is much more controllable than the E-chargers intruder that I paid $60 for the down side is it's not as durable. It's also not an indoor plane as it takes some room to manuver but for $30 I think it would make a good kids plane I'm sure there are plenty of fliers out there with young children who would love to go flying with thier Dads and this plane could be that low dollar low risk plane that would let them enjoy the evenings with thier fathers. How do you place a dollar value on that. the other option is if the radio fails the flight performance is good enough that a GWS radio up grade would be fun.

Steve,

There is no acces to the pack for temp monitering but they do state that 2 cell nicds are used charging is done with a belt pack of 4 c size batteries that you hold a button down for 60 to 75 sec not high tec but it works and its quick I think it has the same motor as the Cox viper and it's a serious amp hog but mine easily flew for over a minute on a 45 sec+or- charge.