HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2005, 01:57 PM
Torrance
Joined Feb 2005
1,409 Posts
Getting less mpg from my car

About 3 weeks ago I was getting an average of 16mpg from my 85 La Sabre, the last 2 weeks i'm down to 12 mpg. I have done every major tune up to this thing that I can think of and nothing has change, right now the car is probably running the best it ever has.
So I asked my neighbor about his mpg, and he also noticed that his little pick up has lost mpg and is pinging every now and then.
I then talked to another friend and he also has been noticeing a loss in mpg over the past year.

What is going on here, is it the fuel that we're buying here in Los Angeles? Is it being diluted with something?

Just wondering if anyone else in Calif. has noticed any changes.
JustinONE is offline Find More Posts by JustinONE
Old Sep 04, 2005, 01:59 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
I haven't noticed myself, but it may not be your cars. An increase in traffic could result in a big loss of MPG, yet not be bad enough for you to really notice.

Has your commute been a few minutes longer lately?
lrsudog is offline Find More Posts by lrsudog
Old Sep 04, 2005, 02:11 PM
Torrance
Joined Feb 2005
1,409 Posts
well traffic is always bussy here, and nothing but stop and go continuously but the commuting time hasn't changed.
Old Sep 04, 2005, 02:15 PM
Registered Disabuser
Norfolk, Massachussetts
Joined Jul 2003
738 Posts
Did you switch grades of gas recently? I've wondered for a while if they dilute the gas with some nonpolar solvent...there's no controls over this...it would be very similar to the food adulteration that occured frequently in the early 20th century.

brent
Wertygrog is offline Find More Posts by Wertygrog
Old Sep 04, 2005, 02:21 PM
Torrance
Joined Feb 2005
1,409 Posts
No reason to switch grades, I only buy the lowest octane available, it's not exactly a high compression motor. It's a smog machine. LOL

I also removed the catalytic converter a year ago, this was the best thing I ever did, since it gained me an extra 2 mpg, thus saving me about $6.00 for every tank full of gas.
Last edited by JustinONE; Sep 04, 2005 at 02:26 PM.
Old Sep 04, 2005, 03:05 PM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinONE
No reason to switch grades, I only buy the lowest octane available, it's not exactly a high compression motor. It's a smog machine. LOL

I also removed the catalytic converter a year ago, this was the best thing I ever did, since it gained me an extra 2 mpg, thus saving me about $6.00 for every tank full of gas.
its not just in california ;I buy my gas at the same place every time ;lately my engine has also been"pinging"etc and my mpg has dropped off as well;I keep it in excellent tune and up til a few weeks ago my avg mpg has been about 24 ...now its down to 17 nothing has changed in regards to my driving habits etc......something going on.....
daddiozz is online now Find More Posts by daddiozz
Old Sep 04, 2005, 04:54 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,509 Posts
I believe some gasoline is reformulated in the summertime for less emissions. this has been reported to affect mileage and I have noticed that effect at times....
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Sep 04, 2005, 06:29 PM
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
796 Posts
hmmm i have noticed this as well went from 29mpg to 26.5 in my 4cyl Tacoma for the last month or so??????

Jim
me11owman is offline Find More Posts by me11owman
Old Sep 04, 2005, 08:45 PM
New Hampshire, USA
Joined Sep 2004
506 Posts
You folks have locking gas caps ??
DougC is offline Find More Posts by DougC
Old Sep 04, 2005, 09:00 PM
We got planes to build
Dallas, TX
Joined Sep 2001
521 Posts
Have you replaced your oxygen sensor? The last gas powered car I owned saw a 5 mpg increase when I replaced it. When they go bad the computer can no longer adjust the fuel/air mixture properly.
dmiller is offline Find More Posts by dmiller
Old Sep 04, 2005, 09:09 PM
Torrance
Joined Feb 2005
1,409 Posts
nah, it's working just fine, I've checked the entire system with a scan tool, and just checked the plugs this afternoon, they are a white ashy color, so I know for a fact it's not running rich. Also metered the resistance in my wires, and it's in spec.

There really isn't anything left to be at fault, except that the gasoline is being diluted.
Old Sep 04, 2005, 09:57 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
It could be many things besides gas formulation. Higher temperatures, different traffic patterns, a vacuum leak, a MAF going bad, low tire pressure, transmission issues, etc...

If you have tried different gas from different vendors and are getting the same lower MPG, the odds are that you have another problem, or even more likely, a combination of them.

BTW, plug color is a remarkably imprecise way to determine correct air/fuel mixture. The ratio could be off by as much as 20% and still give you ashy grey plugs.
lrsudog is offline Find More Posts by lrsudog
Old Sep 04, 2005, 11:39 PM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Aug 2002
2,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinONE
There really isn't anything left to be at fault, except that the gasoline is being diluted.
Oh, yes there is. Not an 'anything', but an 'anyone'.

George Bush. He's most certainly behind it. He's masterminding every other bad thing that happens in this country, so why not this too?

Busy guy, that George.

Rick
ElectRick is offline Find More Posts by ElectRick
Old Sep 04, 2005, 11:54 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectRick
Oh, yes there is. Not an 'anything', but an 'anyone'.

George Bush. He's most certainly behind it. He's masterminding every other bad thing that happens in this country, so why not this too?

Busy guy, that George.

Rick

He and the oil companies have developed a form of "carbonated gasoline" that fizzes up in your tank so you think it's full when it's really not. After a few days of sloshing around in your tank the gas loses its fizz and goes flat just like soda pop.
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Sep 05, 2005, 01:00 AM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usta Bee
He and the oil companies have developed a form of "carbonated gasoline" that fizzes up in your tank so you think it's full when it's really not. After a few days of sloshing around in your tank the gas loses its fizz and goes flat just like soda pop.
lol good one Esso...
daddiozz is online now Find More Posts by daddiozz