HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2005, 01:11 PM
Just Happy To Be Here!!!
United States, AL, Tuscaloosa
Joined Nov 2004
1,692 Posts
Yippee!
E-Flite Mini Edge 540 - Building/Flying

E-Flite's new Mini Edge 540 has finally arrived!

I thought I'd start a new "clean" thread for the actual building and flying.
I first saw this bird fly at SEFF and I have to say I was VERY impressed with it, especially since the winds were really blowing there. I'm looking forward to getting mine built and flying soon! I'll try to post building pictures in the next few days.

Here's a little info for those new to the plane:

Wing Span: 37.25 in (945 mm)
Overall Length: 34 in (860 mm)
Wing Area: 297 sq in (19 sq dm)
Flying Weight: 24 - 26 oz (680 - 740 g)
Motor Size: Park 400 Brushless, 3700 Kv or 4200 Kv
Radio: 4+ Channels
Servos: 4 sub-micro
Trim Scheme Colors: Ultracote Flame Red (883), Bright Yellow (872), Pearl Blue (845), White (870)
CG (center of gravity): 2-1/8" (54 mm) to 2-7/8" (62 mm) behind leading edge
Prop Size: 12 v 6 (included)
Spinner Size: 1-3/4"
Hardware Included: Yes
Speed Control : 20-35 Amp Brushless
Recommended Battery: 11.1V 2100mAh Li-Po
Control Throw (Ailerons): Low Rate - 3/4" (19mm) up/down or High Rate - 2" (51mm) up/down
Control Throw (Elevator): Low Rate - 1/2" (13mm) up/down or High Rate - 1-5/8" (41mm) up/down
Control Throw (Rudder): Low Rate - 1-1/2" (38mm) Left/Right or High Rate - 3" (76mm) Left/Right
Scale: Park Flyer
Approx. Assembly Time: 4 - 6 hours
Gear Ratio: 6.6:1 (66T spur with 10T pinion) gearbox (included)

Short video of the Mini Edge 540 flying:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...320x240_bb.wmv

Link to the E-Flite Mini Edge 540 page:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...ProdID=EFL2225

Looking forward to a strong build and fly thread here everyone!!!

Harry

harrymc is offline Find More Posts by harrymc
Last edited by harrymc; Sep 05, 2005 at 12:45 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2005, 01:36 PM
Just Happy To Be Here!!!
Joined Nov 2004
1,692 Posts
The gear I've assembled to put in my new Mini Edge 540 is:

Park 400 4200 Brushless Inrunner Motor (with add-on heatsink)
CC Phoenix 35 ESC
TP 2100mAh 11.1v Battery
Jr Sport RS6UL 6 Channel Micro Receiver
4 JR Sport SM15 Servos
4 JR Sport Large Servo Arms

I used this same motor with the included gearbox with great success on the Mini Funtana (I learned a great deal on setting the gear mesh and throttle management from earlier E-Flite birds I flew)
I used the CC Phoenix 25 ESC on the Mini Funtana with no problems but I thought since I needed a new ESC for this bird that I'd go with a little stronger ESC.
I already have a bunch of TP & EF 2100's that I use for other aircraft, so I'll use what I have.
And finally, I'm VERY impressed with JR's new Sport line. I'm already using the RS6UL receiver on two other aircraft as well as the SM15 servo's and the really light SM8 servos (don't recommend the SM8 servos for the Mini Edge, just not enough torque)
Make sure to get the Large Servo Arms for these servos.
This new line of JR equipment is much easier on the wallet and works GREAT!!!
(No. . . I don't work for Horizon Hobby, JR, or E-Flite!)

Harry
Last edited by harrymc; Sep 04, 2005 at 01:51 PM.
Old Sep 04, 2005, 01:51 PM
Atlanta, Ga
Joined Dec 2004
224 Posts
Thatís a really nice plane. Good luck building. Iím looking forward for a video.
dcadavid2003 is offline Find More Posts by dcadavid2003
Old Sep 04, 2005, 06:19 PM
Joined Sep 2004
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadavid2003
Thatís a really nice plane. Good luck building. Iím looking forward for a video.
There's a short video on the horizon page.

Mine has shipped out UPS and should be here on wednesday. I am still debating between the AON setup I have been using and the park 400 that I have. The AON setup I use (2415-4900, 6.6:1 and APC 11x7 SF prop) has more speed and equivalent thrust at the expense of higher current. It was nice to get the mini funtana moving faster, but I am hoping this plane will have less drag due to the thinner wing and the "stock" setup will give more speed. Also I am hoping the wider fuse. will allow decent knife edge performance at a lower speed.

I will be using some TP2100s, an older maxamps 2250, and some newer high discharge (heavier) maxamps 2100s.
I'll likely set up the pull-pull for the rudder, and I'm using a phoenix 35 and HS-55s all around, with an electron 6 receiver. I'll be using the stock E-Flite gearbox, since I have had success with it in the past (first on my mini funtana, then on my quiet storm pulling about 300W!!). I will be gluing the 2 pieces of the gearbox together since I did have one separate before (I had shortened the plastic standoffs in the front).

Anyone have a suggestion for a better rudder servo that doesn't pull too much current for the BEC? (I'm thinking something digital would be nice) Maybe upgrading the elevator servo from an HS-55 would be a good idea as well?? I'm planning on setting up for max 3D deflection.

I think it is a good idea to get the phoenix 35 for this class of plane if buying a new speed controller, because the BEC has more capacity and is more thermally isolated from the speed controller part.

I think some hobby stores now have this plane in stock. Did anyone pick one up yet? Impressions?

FC
fcawth is offline Find More Posts by fcawth
Old Sep 04, 2005, 10:44 PM
USA, VA, Alexandria
Joined Oct 2004
372 Posts
JR makes a micro digital DS281. Same specs 17inoz of torque as the DS241 which is what the manual calls for.
lrb75 is online now Find More Posts by lrb75
Old Sep 05, 2005, 02:08 AM
You must die! I alone am best.
The Naughty Corner..Find me tweeting @slopetrashuk
Joined Sep 2003
5,011 Posts
I have one about to arrive for kit review in the UK. I write for the RCM&E magazine so I'll I'll chip in here every now and again when it comes.......

Andy
slopetrashuk is offline Find More Posts by slopetrashuk
Old Sep 05, 2005, 03:24 AM
Team HeliProz
Saint Clair, MI
Joined Jan 2004
1,275 Posts
I'll probably order one of these soon. I have been flying my MF for about a month now and love it! Can't wait to see how the Edge turns out!!

Matt
RCFEVER is offline Find More Posts by RCFEVER
Old Sep 05, 2005, 12:42 PM
Just Happy To Be Here!!!
Joined Nov 2004
1,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopetrashuk
I have one about to arrive for kit review in the UK. I write for the RCM&E magazine so I'll I'll chip in here every now and again when it comes.......

Andy
I'll look forward to it Andy!

As a teenager I lived at RAF Mildenhall. Are you anywhere close to there?

Harry
Old Sep 05, 2005, 05:40 PM
You must die! I alone am best.
The Naughty Corner..Find me tweeting @slopetrashuk
Joined Sep 2003
5,011 Posts
No, sorry. Although I have been to their airshow a few times. I'm from the Manchester area. Postie tried to deliver today but nobody was in and he took it away again!
slopetrashuk is offline Find More Posts by slopetrashuk
Old Sep 06, 2005, 12:51 AM
United States, LA, Baton Rouge
Joined Jan 2005
577 Posts
wow those servos in the video are super slow!
Alkaline is offline Find More Posts by Alkaline
Old Sep 06, 2005, 01:41 AM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,642 Posts
Let me say This about That....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrb75
JR makes a micro digital DS281. Same specs 17inoz of torque as the DS241 which is what the manual calls for.
I have changed over to Hitec HS-56 servos and Love em. My DS281s are like retract servos compared to the Hitecs! Soooo stinking slow!
rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2005, 10:15 AM
17 years on RCG!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 1996
3,120 Posts
We have flown both the Mini Edge in the video, equipped with JR 241 servos, and another Mini Edge, equipped with the new E-flite S75 servos, side-by-side and there is definitely a noticeable difference in performance. Because the S75 servos are almost twice as fast, with a smoother gear train, coreless motor and tighter deadband (ie - better centering), the model equipped with these servos was capable of even more aggressive spins, snaps, point rolls and more (not for the faint of heart ).

As you can already see from the video, the MEs performance is pretty incredible with the JR servos and even more incredible with the new S75 servos available for less than $14, including an extra-long 3D servo arm, next week:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...ProdID=EFLRS75

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Search/D...&OverallCatID=

rc -

I used to work at the HobbyTown on Sahara and Decatur Im not sure if you know him, but Greg Clemensen had me fly his Mini Funtana with 4 HS-56s and we had the BEC fail on his CC25 ESC. While these servos perform well, they do pull more current than the popular JR 241/281 and HS-55 servos so please be sure to use an ESC with a minimum of 4 sub-micro servo capable BEC.

As a note - we have found the S75 servos to be the lowest current draw servos in their class...even lower than JR 241/281s and HS-55s. However, we still recommend the use of an ESC with a 4 sub-micro servo capable BEC such as the CC35/45 or our newly updated V2 E-flite 20 amp and 40 amp ESCs for the safest, most reliable performance in highly capable models like the Mini Edge:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Search/D...&OverallCatID=
Jason M is offline Find More Posts by Jason M
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Jason M; Sep 06, 2005 at 10:32 AM.
Old Sep 06, 2005, 10:33 AM
Just Happy To Be Here!!!
Joined Nov 2004
1,692 Posts
Jason,
How does the E-Flite S75 compare with the new JR Sport SM15 Servos?

Harry
Old Sep 06, 2005, 10:35 AM
17 years on RCG!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 1996
3,120 Posts
I have not flown the new SM15 servos myself, but if I am not mistaken, they are very similar to the 241s and should perform very well in the ME.

Based on the specs, the S75 servos are indeed faster with slightly higher torque.
Jason M is offline Find More Posts by Jason M
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2005, 01:31 PM
Joined Sep 2004
94 Posts
Servos, BEC etc

Jason,

Those S75 servos look nice. Maybe I'll try some. Will the mounting holes be close to the HS55s if I want to switch later? (I was hoping to have the edge done by this weekend)

I also had a phoenix 25 BEC shut down on my mini funtana using 4 hs-55 servos. I was pulling lots of current (26-28A full throttle) and I was pushing everything hard because it was a windy day (Still managing the throttle of course). I had the speed control behind the motor so there was hot air blowing over the speed control. After it cooled off everything was OK even after the crash, but I have since switched to a phoenix 35 for this size plane.

Hopefully I can just swap over the newer servos without much fuss once they are available.

Thanks,
Fred
fcawth is offline Find More Posts by fcawth