HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 03, 2005, 11:42 PM
Suspended Account
Grove City PA basement/park
Joined Feb 2005
4,884 Posts
Meteor Scratch Build

I was thinking of either a Venon or a Meteor. I must enjoy the added cost of 2 ESCs, fans, and motors. Chose the Meteor. 34" wingspan, GWS EDF64s with Hacker 4900 bl motors. The foam core wing and fuse will be sheeted using 3M-77 spray glue. To answer in advance, yes I would like to start hot wire cutting, but haven't yet.
The building techniques are becoming more unorthodox with every build. This one started with a GWS P-52 wing, cut center-lengthwise, and filled with foam blocks. I'm making templates, to reshape the airfoil sections. The fuse was glued together with several blocks of foam, and the shaping begins. The wings and fuse will be reinforced with Midwest CF rod and spar. Its a bit pricey, but worth it. A GWS rubber spinner will be used for the nose. The trick is to mount the spinner to a light-ply bulkhead, which is glued to the sheeted fuse, with additional foam compressed behind it. This provides an impack resistant nose.
Thought I'd whow how rough these build look like at the start. I won't be offended if anyone says that it looks like.... It does. I've done enough of these to know what the end result will look like.
scratchandbash is offline Find More Posts by scratchandbash
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2005, 09:19 AM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,504 Posts
Hi Scratch,

Ah, the Meteor. Looking forward to this, on a tangent I saw the aileron servo's on the wing of your 262, looked like an axial drive on the torque rods. How did you do this?

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Last edited by AirX; Sep 10, 2005 at 09:08 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Sep 04, 2005, 11:11 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2005
4,884 Posts
Actually the built up 262 was given to Helo Pilot, it is his work. I originally had wire torque rods, that were too flimsy. My latest used the Sullivan gold cable. I was interested too, in exactly what John did with the rods, as only so much can be seen in the picture. I would like to get more detail of it also. I never thought about it, but I guess CF rods could be epoxied onto a servo horn center. That would be a nice, no-slop setup.
Old Sep 04, 2005, 03:23 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,504 Posts
Hi Scratch,

I figured that you had let the 262 go but I did not know Helo had done the mods to the torque rod. It is a pretty cool way to get "R" done...

Cheers,

Eric B.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 09:06 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2005
4,884 Posts
sheet, fill, prime, and sand

Got the fuse forming completed. it actually LOOKS like a Meteor now, versus taking my word for it. In the first pics, the unshaped fuse looks more like a Meatier. Got the Hacker Eflite 4900 motors wired and running in EDF64s. Need to put the setup on the wattmeter for specifics, but they seem promising. Finished shaping the airfoil. The heavily modified (and I mean heavily modified) GWS P-51 wing will be sheeted, after the gull wing dihedral bends are put in. For progressive washout, the creases cut in the wing, to fold the gull wing ends, will be cut on a slight angle from the LE to TE. When the wing is folded upward at the ends, this will cause progressive washout. I'm sure others know about this trick, but it just came to me as a brainstorm. Tested the idea on a cardboard template to determine the fold line.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 09:13 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,504 Posts
Hi Scratch,

Yup she is coming along nicely. Cant wait ot see it on its gear.
Remember the Yak 15 you did, I loved it so much I decided to do wome cad work on one. So far it looks like a Yak 15. When it comes time to build one I will start the thread for it. Keep the pics coming, your an inspiration.

Eric B.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 09:28 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2005
4,884 Posts
I did a Yak 23, but they seem very similar. I'm sure you remember Fredok's recent red Yak 15 scratch build thread, which I liked. It inspired me. Go for it Eric, a cool looking plane! Looking forward to seeing it. We need more early jet builds here. I still need to try the 23 out. I know, I'm a bit chicken. More than 1:1 thrust with a short tail moment, and a thrust system that is unique, to anything I have flown. It will happen soon, as I will get tired of just looking at it.
The Meteor will probably get gear. I would like to ROG, as it is a bit leery hand tossing these things, when they get in the 2+ lb range. Back to building now.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 10:12 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,504 Posts
Hi Scratch,

Your right it was the Yak 23, Fredok did the 15 that is who did it. Well it is done in Cad anyway. I need to tie up a few ends like a little access hatches and the like but it is as far as I want to go with it.

I have a set of Meteor plans from a magazine several years back but it is not the f8 model and I love the f8 model. They used a brushed motor in two minifans to fly thiers and it flew well enough. So keep it going bud and post when you can...

Eric B.
Old Sep 11, 2005, 11:03 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2005
4,884 Posts
Quote:
I have a set of Meteor plans from a magazine several years back but it is not the f8 model and I love the f8 model. They used a brushed motor in two minifans to fly thiers and it flew well enough. So keep it going bud and post when you can...
Eric B.

Yeah, I like the P-51 style elevator on the F-8. A jet with an elliptical tail and straight tapered wing just doesn't seem to mix well. Looks like a Spitfire tail on a jet.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 07:08 AM
Airx at work.... :)
Joined Nov 2004
122 Posts
Hi Scratch,

Thinking about that it does look like a Spit tail on the early Meteor...

Eric B.
The Jetson's is offline Find More Posts by The Jetson's
Old Sep 13, 2005, 02:18 AM
Model Designer
United Kingdom, England, Burnley
Joined Apr 2001
5,490 Posts
Great !

Scratch,

Interesting construction methods !

The early Meteors were almost all curves... the later versions were almost all straight lines...
I'm sure that you have all seen this ?

I particularly like the U.16 / U.21's...

Keven.
keven64 is offline Find More Posts by keven64
Old Sep 13, 2005, 02:29 AM
Model Designer
United Kingdom, England, Burnley
Joined Apr 2001
5,490 Posts
I think this version has to be my favourite, though... curvy like a Spitfire...

Keven.
keven64 is offline Find More Posts by keven64
Old Sep 13, 2005, 06:49 AM
Airx at work.... :)
Joined Nov 2004
122 Posts
Hi Keven nice link.

Eric B.
The Jetson's is offline Find More Posts by The Jetson's
Old Sep 17, 2005, 11:29 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2005
4,884 Posts
Quite a few versions Keven. I chose the silver F-8 Halestorm, but I do like the camo schemes. I've never seen the first Whittle jet modeled. I think it would be an interesting subject.
I've included a photo of the scratch built front retract, and a drawing. Not the best quality renderings, but maybe they may provide some inspiration for custom built retracts. Installed retracts in the wings also. A bit easier, as they don't have to steer. The stop collar note got cut off at the bottom of the drawing. It goes on the axle shaft, before it is bent for the wheel.
Old Sep 19, 2005, 11:49 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2005
4,884 Posts
Installing the front retract and nacelle building are remaining. Got the wing retracts finished, and the wing fully sheeted. Light ply wing saddle bulkheads in pllace. I used a lot of cf, and have become a bigger fan of epoxy. CA is not all it is cracked up to be, with foam. Actually that's the problem it is easily cracked up. Did a few good test glides. Too bad it won't be that weight, when finished.