HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 03, 2005, 07:59 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,865 Posts
New 24 inch wing with GWS 300 Motor (scratch build)

I posted this in the Park Flyers forum the other day, but it really belongs here.

A while back I upgraded the motor on my Slow Stick (used for Arial Photography) and had my old GWS 300 motor sitting around. Also, recently thanks to Zzonie77 for introducing me to the evil mini wings, I decided to build something to put that old 300 motor on.

I used Fan Fold Foam (FFF) – my next one will be FFF Bluecore, but I had started this with the green stuff (a little thicker and more flexible than bluecore FFF). Anyway, using the natural fold for the leading edge of the wing worked out quite well. I took to two halves and joined them with two carbon fiber rods as shown in the drawing. Important – I think ProBond glue works best… the foaming kind. I like to activate it with white tacky glue and mix it.

I created 4 ribs (shown in green) and two triangular foam pieces for servo pads (a place to mount servos in the wing. I glued the top down (use ProBond) and had a nice shaped wing. The nose covers all the way back to the motor mount top and bottom and sticks out the front about 2 ½ to 3 inches.

Using 1/32 plywood on the top part of the wing for the motor mount, the GWS heat sink will glue nicely with Shoe Goo. The motor does not get hot anyway.

The cockpit canopy is from plastic fluorescent light tubes from Home Depot. Painted the inside black to give it the tinted window look.

Video: Click Here for Maiden Flight Video (6 MB)

Specs:

Span: 24” Wing
Motor: GWS 300 / 350 (from the stock Slow Stick)
ESC: GWS 300
Rx: GWS Pico 6 chnl (4 would be fine)
Servos: Naro STD
Prop: GWS 4530
Battery: Etec 2s 700 mAmp High Performance
AUW: ? (need to weigh it)

I have to say, this is the best flying wing I have flown. The video was the maiden flight. If you have questions, please post. Easy to make and cheap to fly.
Qrome is online now Find More Posts by Qrome
Last edited by Qrome; Sep 03, 2005 at 10:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2005, 01:48 AM
Joined Aug 2005
78 Posts
Do you have a template of your rib shape?

What are the dimentions of the nose piece?
bubbahotep is offline Find More Posts by bubbahotep
Old Sep 13, 2005, 08:41 AM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,865 Posts
The nose is 3 inchs wide (you can do 2.5 inches if you like). the nose sticks out 2 inchs in front of the point of the nose of thw wing and covers the crack all the way back to the motor mount. Now the length you use all depends on how you need to balance the wing. I use a light 2s 700mamp lipo so I need to put it all the way in the nose. The nice thing about the nose is you can move batteries around and pad them with foam if you need. Putting a rubber band around them works as well.

I have mor photos in my original thread where I started a second one. Link is here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=411940

Also, the ribs...

Center rib: 3/4 inch thick (totally symetrical) and only make it as long as to the CF spar in the back. This will allow the back edge to be flat where the motor mounts.

The ribs out on the wings are 1/2 inch at the widest point. I hope that helps.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 03:06 PM
Eventually...I will fly
Israel
Joined Oct 2004
884 Posts
my first wing

I built somthing loosley based on these plans, but from flat 6mm depron. and a cd rom motor. maidend last weekend. it fle ok but i needed more ailerons surface so i added and will test again this weekend
eran_k is offline Find More Posts by eran_k
Old Sep 13, 2005, 03:28 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,865 Posts
Eran, that is awesome. Looks great. Did you use any CF on the bottom? How was the speed?
Old Sep 13, 2005, 03:35 PM
Eventually...I will fly
Israel
Joined Oct 2004
884 Posts
Thanks
I used 1 bambo skewr, it wasn't very fast and when i got the cg right it flew quit good
Old Sep 13, 2005, 03:39 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eran_k
Thanks
I used 1 bambo skewr, it wasn't very fast and when i got the cg right it flew quit good
Where did the CG End up on yours?
Old Sep 13, 2005, 03:46 PM
Eventually...I will fly
Israel
Joined Oct 2004
884 Posts
still work need to be done

i didnt measuer it,but it's more or less where i pointed in the picture, i'm using a TP 3S 730
Old Sep 13, 2005, 04:26 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eran_k
i didnt measuer it,but it's more or less where i pointed in the picture, i'm using a TP 3S 730
Wow, you serious? I have never had a CG way up there. Well, nice work.
Old Sep 14, 2005, 12:33 AM
Model Bender
Australia, NSW, Newcastle
Joined Jun 2004
2,870 Posts
Maybe he likes flying with a lot of reflex

I'd guess not too far from where the esc or black tape is...
OzDragonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by OzDragonFlyer
Last edited by OzDragonFlyer; Sep 14, 2005 at 12:39 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2005, 01:09 AM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzDragonFlyer
Maybe he likes flying with a lot of reflex

I'd guess not too far from where the esc or black tape is...
Yeah, that would be where I would put it. I have built a second one, plan to fly it maybe tomorrow or the next day. I set the CG just as it shows on the plans.
Old Sep 14, 2005, 10:15 AM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,865 Posts
I just completed my second wing on this same design. Made it a 26" wing this time with a J250 motor.
Old Sep 18, 2005, 09:40 PM
Joined Aug 2005
78 Posts
Started building one tonight...

Where are you placing your receiver and esc?

Do you need to use duel rates or exponential on your tx?

Thanks
bubbahotep is offline Find More Posts by bubbahotep
Old Sep 18, 2005, 10:53 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,865 Posts
Bubba, make sure you check out my original build thread on this wing here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=411940
There are more photos of the build there.

I put the ESC and the Rx under the plastic canopy near the front of it. You can dig into the top layer of foam or you can just use some tape. I don't use dual rates or exponential, but you can and might be a good idea.

Before you dig the servos in and place the Rx and ESC, put the battery in the nose where you plan to have it, then tape the servos and items where you think they may go and test the CG. You will want the elevons and fins on at this point as well to make sure the balance is correct. Move the Rx, ESC and servos around till you get the desired CG, then dig and tape them in. I use white tacky glue to hold the servos in -- it will clean off them if you need.

I also pop the battery lead from the ESC down through the nose and into the battery compartment. I use clear packing tape over the nose section top and bottom as well.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old Sep 24, 2005, 10:55 AM
USA, TX, Lewisville
Joined Nov 2004
375 Posts
How do you attach the motor to the motor mount?

This will be my first wing and I am heading out to be some bluecor right now!

I have a spare 350 motor and will be putting this on!
lehma is offline Find More Posts by lehma