HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2006, 07:51 AM
Lipoly Killer
Gulfport/Biloxi Biloxi Reg, Mississippi, United States
Joined Dec 2000
1,515 Posts
Source of material

Vett, where do you obtain your mahogany? Is there somewhere that sells good quality material in sheets over 24" in length or do I have to buy a planer and do it myself? Rockler and Woodcraft sell it in 24" sheets.
Frank
Frank Hurd is offline Find More Posts by Frank Hurd
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2006, 09:19 AM
USA, NY, Mahopac
Joined Dec 2002
281 Posts
Frank, I have a lot of mahogany left over from other kits but Midwest products has it or you can go to Tower hobbies they have an assortment.
vett is offline Find More Posts by vett
Old Feb 04, 2006, 06:11 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,847 Posts
Hey Pat! Have you done anymore on the Cavalier. It looked as though you were close to finishing up on the boat, and then nothing. I want to see if the boat runs as good as their other kit, the THUNDERBOLT that you built. I see that you posted some other boat projects so I guess you have been busy. Looking forward to seeing the finished CAVALIER.
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Old Feb 04, 2006, 10:44 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,545 Posts
Frank, My appologies for letting this one slide a bit. The workload here has been pretty crazy for the last several months, and especially the last several weeks. A couple of tough ones are just now finishing up so I can get back on the Cavalier soon.

PAT
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
Old Apr 20, 2006, 10:26 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,545 Posts
The Cavalier is Finished, and Runs Beautifully

Sorry about letting this one slide, but I did finally finish the Cavalier. The maiden run went flawlessly, and the model has proven itself to be a terrific running boat! And now that the work is done, it's off to working up the Kit Review.

PAT
Old Apr 20, 2006, 11:00 AM
Central Missouri,USA Along the banks of the Missouri River
Joined Jun 2005
1,734 Posts
Pat,looks great.What did you use for a powertrain/battery???Also,I would like to try a wooden boat sometime and like this one.Would it be something possible for a first time wooden boat??Ive built scratch built before,but I usually start with a fibr hull.Thanks and keep'em comin. Tim
tim slocum is offline Find More Posts by tim slocum
Old Apr 20, 2006, 11:51 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Hee hee, I was about to start bugging you about this one Pat!!! Looks really nice! also looks to be a great performer!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Apr 21, 2006, 02:57 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,545 Posts
Tim, I used the recomended 12V 05 power system and hardware package from M.A.C.K. Products. It uses 2 6 cell 3300 NiMH packs in series for power, and even though it makes way more power than is necessary, delivers good run times. I ran the boat for just over 45 minutes on maiden day with a combination of full power, cruise power and just loafing around the shorelines blowing the horn at anyone that would put up with it, and had power to spare at the end of the day.

As to a first kit build, I'd say "no problem". There's nothing unconventional about the build, and the kit goes together very nicely. And if you do deside to build one, run a thread, if you get into trouble, answeres are only a post or two away.
PAT
Old Apr 21, 2006, 06:53 PM
Central Missouri,USA Along the banks of the Missouri River
Joined Jun 2005
1,734 Posts
Pat,thanks for the response.I just realized that most of the powertrain info was posted earlier DAH!Im not familiar with the 05power system,what would that motor be equivelent to?? 550,540,Speed 700???Excuse my electrical ignorance,but would that mean that your running on 14.4volts or 7.2volts,I get that mixed up.Series is for more power,parallel is for run time I think.This is why,in my boats,I keep my electronics as simple as possible,its my weak point.In my 1/144th Bismarck,I have 5searchlights,two smoke units,two 550 motors,and 4- 6volt/10amp/hr batteries.It looks like a spagetti factory blew up inside.Thats one of the reasons why Im completely overhauling the ship.
Anyway,thanks for the advice,I will probably end up purchasing a Cavalier.
tim slocum is offline Find More Posts by tim slocum
Old Apr 21, 2006, 09:09 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,545 Posts
Tim, Sorry about that, I should have been a bit more specific. Anyhow, the motor is comperable to a 12 volt 550, except that it makes real good torque, and speed, with a realatively low current draw (5 amps or so). The standard airplane type o5 or 550 has significantly less torque, and very high current draw. The best comparison I can make is that it would be like a 12 volt version of the Dumas 6 volt high speed motor.

Then by running the 2, 7.2 volt battery packs in series, the motor sees 14.4 volts, and even with such a low current draw will makes great power, yet will still deliver long run times on the 3300 mah cells.

And BTW, I couldn't agree more, simplicity is the key to success around here too.

PAT
Old Apr 24, 2006, 09:14 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2004
2,455 Posts
Pat, that's one clean machine; really fine job!
jeepers1940 is offline Find More Posts by jeepers1940