HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 03, 2005, 09:44 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,488 Posts
Mini-Review
The "Cavalier" from Legend Model Boats -- Kit Review

We're back in the saddle again It's been awhile since I built a boat and I have to tell you, I was really starting to miss it. Then yesterday, our friendly local UPS guy broke the dry spell when he dropped the Legend Model Boats, Cavalier 25' Express Cruiser on my doorstep.

The kit is of very high quality, and very complete. Upon inspection I found one full size assembly drawing of the basic hull frame, and a 37 page photo illustrated assembly instruction manual. The manual includes 2 pages of parts ID, a 3 page materials list, and 9 pages containing detailed line drawings, mant with dimensions, for the more complex areas of the build. Also included in the manual are no less then 83 photos of the building sequence. I haven't read the manual yet, but I suspect it will be a good one.

I was also very happy to see the hull is skinned with Expanded PVCX plastic like the Dumas 19' Racer. Don't let that scare you now! Using plastic for the hull skins makes skinning the hull a breeze, and it's so much easier to finish then a wood hull.

The wood parts include 4 large dye cut sheets, 5 dye cut mahogany sheets and 8 laser cut balsa sheets. Also included are several blocks of both balsa and hardwood, and a variety of sticks of balsa, hardwood, and mahogany. The kit even has the materials needed to build the hardwood display stand.

To round it all out, the curtain material, rub rails and a large bag of cast metal fittings are included. This is definately one of the nicest boat kits I've seen so far, and can't wait to get started building it.
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2005, 10:00 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,488 Posts
The Running Gear and Other "Exras"

Also contained in the Package from Legend was the Running Gear kit containing the sealed stuffing boxes for the rudder and prop shaft, a stainless steel rudder and control arm, the prop, prop shaft, and double U-joint, plus the High Output 05 motor.

In addition, the horn and light kits were included as well. The horn kit consists of a large speaker and circuit board with a servo actuated micro switch. The light kit includes the cabin and running lights, plus a voltage regulator with toggle switch. Both of these items run directly off the main power batteries, so no additional battery packs are required for their opperation.

Overall, my first impression of the kit is that it's very well designed and thought out. The "proof of the pudding" as they say will be in building the kit, which I'm very much looking forward to. Unfortunately, I drew the short straw at the hobby shop this weekend, so won't get to start making parts till tomorrow

Stay tuned, more is coming soon!
PAT
Old Sep 03, 2005, 10:09 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,293 Posts
Kewl!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Sep 03, 2005, 02:16 PM
Newburgh New York
Joined May 2005
823 Posts
$$$$$$$$ ???
sounds great.
wingnut163 is offline Find More Posts by wingnut163
Old Sep 03, 2005, 05:10 PM
Victoria, BC, Canada
Joined May 2005
205 Posts
where

Looks like a beautiful kit.

Where are they available?

Tried to "google" Legend Model Boats and got nowhere.

thx

Doug
bluesy is offline Find More Posts by bluesy
Old Sep 03, 2005, 05:36 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2004
2,453 Posts
Try MACK Products Model Marine, Scale Boats, page 2, Row 3. The list price is $ 250.00 for the boat kit, $ 100.00 for the Light & Sound package and the Power & Hardware package is in addition to that. With a two or three inch longer foredeck, the boat would somewhat resemble the Chris-Craft 32' Deluxe Cabin Cruiser by Sterling Models from a few years back.
When Pat assembles his crew of busy elves, they'll have this thing knocked out and running in a week or two!
Bill
jeepers1940 is offline Find More Posts by jeepers1940
Last edited by jeepers1940; Sep 03, 2005 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Completeness
Old Sep 04, 2005, 12:15 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,040 Posts
OH BOY PAT! I've been hoping you would do a review on this one!!! (also still VERY interested in the Lyman, Legend is teasing me with!!!)

Slightly OT but I am really liking your DC-6 and C-188 in the electric scale section!

Jeepers, you're right! Cavalier was the "plywood boat" division of Chris Craft, there is no mistaking the family resemblance between this and the 32' CCSDEC!
Aerominded is online now Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Sep 04, 2005, 01:29 AM
Star Line Hydro-Jet Ferry
Dearborn Heights, Michigan
Joined Feb 2005
234 Posts
I saw this on the Dumas site and really liked it!

Wing nut I dont think its too much
Jeff G is offline Find More Posts by Jeff G
Old Sep 04, 2005, 07:55 AM
Newburgh New York
Joined May 2005
823 Posts
when you said MACK i looked in my files and found that MACK and DUMAS put it togather. Dumas has it # 701 $250. RG $204. w/mtr.
Old Sep 09, 2005, 09:02 PM
Joined Nov 2004
240 Posts
Pat I agree this one will be fun. I also read the review in rc boat modeler magazine done by John Fryant.

Finishing my 19' runabout, finally. Would like to build one of thesethis winter but I'm gonna build a large tug this winter and it will probably take ALL of my extra money. It's the Harbor models Invader. 51" long and gaurenteed to nickel and dime me to death. when its done though it will pull me and 2 friends around in my jon boat.

Sorry did'nt mean to change the subject. Can't wait to read your build.
bluezephyr is offline Find More Posts by bluezephyr
Old Sep 10, 2005, 08:13 AM
Newburgh New York
Joined May 2005
823 Posts
Blue, hope you'll be doing a post on the tug.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 10:09 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,488 Posts
Building the Cavalier has Begun

After several days of studying the plans and instruction sheet, identifying parts, and familiarizing myself with the kit and the design, assembly has finally begun. After reading the instructions twice, I can see that they're well written, and coupled with the photos of each sub-assembly, it appears that the kit will go together well.

It all begins with the keel. The keel is made up of 8 pieces of dye cut lite ply, with a self aligning opening for the stuffing box. The keel parts were laminated together with Titebond, pinned to the board and weighted till the glue dried. Then they were removed and the stem glued in place on the front section. Finally, the front and rear halves were joined with a doubler on both sides.
Last edited by P. Tritle; Sep 10, 2005 at 10:25 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 10:13 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,488 Posts
Fairing Out the Transom

The transom is curved, so the aft hull frame was faired out using 1/4" sq. balsa and sanded to shape. The deck sheers were built up next by gluing the front and rear sections together and adding the doubler on the joint.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 10:17 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,488 Posts
Finish Sanding the Basic Sub-Assemblies

With all the gluing done and the sub-assemblies completed, all the components were cleaned up and sanded to shape.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 10:23 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,488 Posts
Now It's Starting To Take Shape

With all the sub-assemblies finished and sanded, the main hull assembly is fitted together and placed upside down on the building boaed. A small amount of trimming was required to get the frames alligned properly on the keel, but generally speaking, the parts fit was really very good.

Now that the trimming is done, the next step will be to "hot" glue the assembly to the board and glue it all together. Stay tuned, that part will be coming soon!
PAT